Hunting-camping storage.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Hunting-camping storage.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:36 pm

How do you guys deal with storing hunting and camping gear?
Seems like it's so hard to keep it organized.

I did go through it and filled a large trash bag full of very old gear threw away.

It's hard because my spare ,backup gear takes alot of room.
I always have backup rubber boots ,snake boots,hip waders,snake chaps at all times. Living in the south they are so vital day to day.

One of my bins is full of hunting jackets some 15 years old.
One bin is turkey hunting gear ,calls vest decoy ect.

Sleeping bags one heavy one light take up alot of room on my hunting shelf. 3 alps tents takes up alot each though has a different purpose.
One person backpack hiking tent.
2 person light hunting tent.
3 person family camping tent.

One bin is my bow accessories , bow repair gear for the bow press ,extra broadheads ect.

A few are just random stuff in bins.

Two are bugout bags ready to grab n go at a moments notice incase of a tornado,fire ect.

I feel like I could spend days in here organizing everything.
How do you guys keep track of your gear?
Or do I just need a bigger hunting closet?

The thing is just about everything has a particular use.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
mag1
500 Club

Re: Hunting-camping storage.

Unread postby mag1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:58 am

Sounds like you have a ton of stuff. Lol. I use the black with yellow lid bins from Costco. Duct tape on one end with sharpie for a label. I have one that goes with me in the car with my gear for hunting (only in car when hunting). The others stay in the basement, but I know where stuff is that way. Over the last couple of years, I have started getting rid of stuff I don’t use. I know that isn’t much help.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:26 am

mag1 wrote:Sounds like you have a ton of stuff. Lol. I use the black with yellow lid bins from Costco. Duct tape on one end with sharpie for a label. I have one that goes with me in the car with my gear for hunting (only in car when hunting). The others stay in the basement, but I know where stuff is that way. Over the last couple of years, I have started getting rid of stuff I don’t use. I know that isn’t much help.

Yeah about half is hunting half camping.
I probably do have more camping stuff then anyone I know but I pretty much live in my tent the entire bow season 4-6 days a week. Work the rest of the week. So I've built it up over years.

I think most have this much hunting stuff its just that most people keep camping gear in their shed,garage. I don't have this option so it all gets put in a single closet.

I have a shed but it's full of power tools and boxes from moving.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:30 am

Been organizing this morning for about 4 hours almost got it all done. Did fill 2 more trash bags to throw away..
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:26 am

Finished whew slightly over 5 hours to organize a single closet lol.
Hopefully I won't have to do this again for a few years.

4 black trash bags full of old junk probably got rid of 15-20 percent of stuff. Crazy how it piles up over years.

Found 4 things of bow wax funny because I was out in my bowcase. I was determined to get this all organized before bow season.

At least now everything is together.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:08 am

I always have such a hard time throwing old hunting/fishing stuff away! It’s crazy how i’ll go digging through the basement, shed, or garage attic and find stuff i haven’t used or thought about in a decade but then suddenly i think, “i might want to use this again” and back into the bin it goes for another 10 years :lol:

To my credit, i did throw a ton of stuff away like you are probably 5 years ago or so and never missed anything i tossed once it was gone.

Now everything has a labeled bin and a spot for said bin to go. Hunting season bin goes in truck, going camping i can just grab the three or four camping bins and throw em in the truck, etc. When not in use they go in there spot in the basement. Seems to keep me somewhat organized.

My truck also has storage under the back seat and that’s been awesome as it fits all my hunting essentials i use every time i go like release, binos, rangefinder, saddle, headlamps etc and i just know i always have it cause it just sits in there all season. Nothing like getting to a spot 45 minutes away to realize your release is at home on the workbench, been there.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:10 am

szwampdonkey wrote:I always have such a hard time throwing old hunting/fishing stuff away! It’s crazy how i’ll go digging through the basement, shed, or garage attic and find stuff i haven’t used or thought about in a decade but then suddenly i think, “i might want to use this again” and back into the bin it goes for another 10 years :lol:

To my credit, i did throw a ton of stuff away like you are probably 5 years ago or so and never missed anything i tossed once it was gone.

Now everything has a labeled bin and a spot for said bin to go. Hunting season bin goes in truck, going camping i can just grab the three or four camping bins and throw em in the truck, etc. When not in use they go in there spot in the basement. Seems to keep me somewhat organized.

My truck also has storage under the back seat and that’s been awesome as it fits all my hunting essentials i use every time i go like release, binos, rangefinder, saddle, headlamps etc and i just know i always have it cause it just sits in there all season. Nothing like getting to a spot 45 minutes away to realize your release is at home on the workbench, been there.

I did find a gem long forgotten.
A Brand new cough silencer.

I don't think they make them anymore.

About 15 lone wolf straps lol.

About 7-8 years ago I drove to a camp out about 4 hours from home. When I got their half the camping stuff8 was at the house. I spent over 300 at Walmart that trip on camping gear. So some things I have 2-3 of like tge Stanley cook sets.

I've left my jacket at home before and had to go buy a new jacket to stay warm that day hunting. Only once but I remember it well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”