Needle in the Haystack

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZanderBones
Facebook: ZanderBuddy12@gmail.com

Re: Needle in the Haystack

Unread postby ZanderBones » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:32 am

[/highlight]
Stingray713 wrote:I have several options. They all share one quality. They are all in some awful super thick nasty stuff. I won’t be able to see too much, but I don’t care. There are no observation sits where I hunt. You either get in the thick stuff, or you watch does and young bucks come out of it to eat.

The food in these bedding areas is too good. They aren’t leaving them until it’s too late.

I’ve scouted enough since January to know where several old bucks are hanging out. Starting October 1st I will be on them morning and evening until January.[/highlight]

In seasons past I’ve liked the old bucks chances better than mine, but this year I think they’re in trouble.

Now that is a killer mindset!
Get in the bedroom with them and put them to sleep for a dirt nap. I agree if you arrant in there with them you'll watch younger deer all season long. You have to push boundaries, starting Oct 1st i'm a little worried about the bucks in your area. This year they are indeed in trouble...
Goodluck this season and put an arrow or led through em!

addicted to being in the woods
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:49 am

Where to sit on opening day really depends on a few factors. One of them being "how much time do you have to hunt?" If you plan on hunting a lot this year, then I wouldn't dive right into the most aggressive spot you can find (unless you have mature buck sighted, which it sounds like you don't).

Another big factor is food. Are there ag fields close by? A good observation stand to be able to watch movement?

Another factore- How is the hunter pressure going to be that first day/weekend?

Looks like you have a fun and challenging season ahead. Good luck!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:07 am

ZanderBones wrote:
Lockdown wrote:If you’re after the king of the woods, and you don’t know anything about him, then you’ve got your work cut out for you…

That’s my way of saying go find a monster to hunt. Then obsess over him.

I haven't even laid eyes on him yet and I'm already having sleepless nights about him... I am obsessed, and more than ready for the work that will come with it.

The King will be Dethroned!!

What I’m getting at is picking where you hunt before you have located the buck is putting the cart before the horse. You need to locate him first and then find the chink in his armor.
Drew6949

Unread postby Drew6949 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:51 am

I agree with what others have said. If I haven't located a buck, I wouldn't sit in a stand until I do. For me, this would mean scouting until I find it whether that takes the first day or 10 days in. Depending on where you are in the country, the king of the woods might only be a 100-inch 8-point. If you're looking for big deer in the early season, I'd look for big tracks in secluded feeding areas such as oaks or clearcuts and scrapes both relatively close to possible bedding because chances are there will not be a large amount of other sign beside community scrapes in the start of the season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”