Florida thermals?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JDraider

Florida thermals?

Unread postby JDraider » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:13 am

I’m wondering if thermals play a role in Florida and if so how much? Will my scent rise in the morning, or is that only in hill country? If I hunt in the evening on the edge of a swamp will it pull my scent?

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Re: Florida thermals?

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:17 pm

Wish I had the answer for you...all I know is my wind is all over the place. Drives me nuts....probably because I don't fully understand thermals either.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:02 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:Wish I had the answer for you...all I know is my wind is all over the place. Drives me nuts....probably because I don't fully understand thermals either.

I’m experiencing the same with my wind switching directions. I’m trying to figure out how to play the wind better. At some point my wind will switch to my back sending my scent into the direction I expect deer to come from. It’s not a constant thing, but every 20-30 minutes maybe it will totally switch for a few minutes. I’ve tried some scent control, but I’m usually starting to sweat as soon as I step out of the truck.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 am

Wind switching every 30 mins throughout the day isn’t thermals, that’s just the wind swirling in the area you are at. You have to find areas where you can get a consistent(ish) direction on your wind.

Thermals pull up very strong during the day when the sun is out, you can get away with murder if you get your scent into areas where the sun can take it up and away.

The swamps pull thermals in the dark, some more than others. It all has to do with temperature. Thermals are created by contrasting and changing temperature. A lot of people think they are caused by topography, but it has little to nothing to do with it.

You just need to get some milkweed and figure it out. A lot of guys check wind with the powder and that is like reading the cover of a book and thinking you learned everything it contains.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:34 am

PK_ wrote:Wind switching every 30 mins throughout the day isn’t thermals, that’s just the wind swirling in the area you are at. You have to find areas where you can get a consistent(ish) direction on your wind.

Thermals pull up very strong during the day when the sun is out, you can get away with murder if you get your scent into areas where the sun can take it up and away.

The swamps pull thermals in the dark, some more than others. It all has to do with temperature. Thermals are created by contrasting and changing temperature. A lot of people think they are caused by topography, but it has little to nothing to do with it.

You just need to get some milkweed and figure it out. A lot of guys check wind with the powder and that is like reading the cover of a book and thinking you learned everything it contains.

Thank you for the feedback PK. Will thermals overpower winds? I can understand the thermal pull in the evening as the air temp drops, but wouldn’t the morning water and air temp be similar?

What about a cloudy day?

I do plan on using milkweed more this season to learn more. I did keep it with me last year, but only used it to check the wind from time to time.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:00 am

JDraider wrote:I’m wondering if thermals play a role in Florida and if so how much? Will my scent rise in the morning, or is that only in hill country? If I hunt in the evening on the edge of a swamp will it pull my scent?

The pinned Tactical threads with the pdfs by Fundburke just above, at the bottom, have what you are looking for, scroll.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:32 am

Hooks1 wrote:
JDraider wrote:I’m wondering if thermals play a role in Florida and if so how much? Will my scent rise in the morning, or is that only in hill country? If I hunt in the evening on the edge of a swamp will it pull my scent?

I was gonna give this a read, but, i'm not sure where its at, or maybe im misunderstanding what youre saying.

Do you have a link?

The pinned Tactical threads with the pdfs by Fundburke just above, at the bottom, have what you are looking for, scroll.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:49 am

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ormf7pvsbcke ... gHgd4a?dl=

scroll to the bottom for wind theramls.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:20 am

mag1 wrote:Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ormf7pvsbcke ... gHgd4a?dl=

scroll to the bottom for wind theramls.

Verrry nice!
Thanks
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
weingarb

Unread postby weingarb » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:28 am

JDraider wrote:
PK_ wrote:Wind switching every 30 mins throughout the day isn’t thermals, that’s just the wind swirling in the area you are at. You have to find areas where you can get a consistent(ish) direction on your wind.

Thank you for the feedback PK. Will thermals overpower winds? I can understand the thermal pull in the evening as the air temp drops, but wouldn’t the morning water and air temp be similar?

What about a cloudy day?

I do plan on using milkweed more this season to learn more. I did keep it with me last year, but only used it to check the wind from time to time.

Stock up on the milkweed and just get used to dropping it all the time, while walking, sitting, glassing, etc. It'll surprise you sometimes and its the only way to learn it. And drop it from different spots within the spot to see if the micro features nearby are altering it significantly. The midday thermals on a hot n sunny day will allow you alot of wiggle room in terms of access or just moving through an area. You'll also notice as the sun starts get lower, your milkweed will flow towards it, especially as the wind begins to die as itll effect its movement but not override it completely. Regarding the wind swirling, I think one thing that makes Florida unique is how often there are competing winds. You may have an offshore easterly wind, but there could also be a system moving by thats creating a Northern or western wind. As PK mentioned, you may be able find some areas with more consistent winds. Something like a topographical feature such as tree lines guiding multiple winds into a similar area can also help you gameplan. Theres an app called Ventusky that can be helpful with visualizing the multiple winds being generated in the area. As far as cloudy days, in my experience, its effect is reduced significantly.
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:42 am

weingarb wrote:
JDraider wrote:

What about a cloudy day?

Stock up on the milkweed and just get used to dropping it all the time, while walking, sitting, glassing, etc. It'll surprise you sometimes and its the only way to learn it. And drop it from different spots within the spot to see if the micro features nearby are altering it significantly. The midday thermals on a hot n sunny day will allow you alot of wiggle room in terms of access or just moving through an area. You'll also notice as the sun starts get lower, your milkweed will flow towards it, especially as the wind begins to die as itll effect its movement but not override it completely. Regarding the wind swirling, I think one thing that makes Florida unique is how often there are competing winds. You may have an offshore easterly wind, but there could also be a system moving by thats creating a Northern or western wind. As PK mentioned, you may be able find some areas with more consistent winds. Something like a topographical feature such as tree lines guiding multiple winds into a similar area can also help you gameplan. Theres an app called Ventusky that can be helpful with visualizing the multiple winds being generated in the area. As far as cloudy days, in my experience, its effect is reduced significantly.

Thank you for the helpful information
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:43 am

Hooks1 wrote:

Thank you
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:06 pm

Thermals work even when the wind is blowing. A light breeze is tough cause the thermals can pull your scent. Steady 10-15 mph breeze will move your scent but we often get gusty stuff so it pulls it them thermal pull then breeze, etc.

Think about the thermals every time you set up. Flows uphill in morning or day, then down into the swamps around dark and thru the night.

Learn the flow in your hunt areas and use em to your advantage.

I have a creek bottom i hunt. Blows my scent out into open area from sunup til sunfown when it draws down towards the creek.
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:53 am

Is there a point in the morning that water temperature is higher than air temperature therefore pulling thermals towards water in the morning? Keep in mind I’m talking Florida and temps usually rise quickly. I’m thinking of that time around sunrise when the air temperature is at its lowest.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:23 am

JDraider wrote:Is there a point in the morning that water temperature is higher than air temperature therefore pulling thermals towards water in the morning? Keep in mind I’m talking Florida and temps usually rise quickly. I’m thinking of that time around sunrise when the air temperature is at its lowest.

PK_ wrote:The swamps pull thermals in the dark.

Dusk to dawn you can generally bank on thermals being pulled to the water. When the sun is rising or setting, the air will generally pull towards the sun on the horizon.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”