Accessing hunting spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Accessing hunting spots

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:25 am

One of the things that I agree is important is low-impact access to hunting locations. But, not every property has a wadeable creek, ditch or walking path/trail nearby. Some places are just deep, thick and nasty. That's why the bucks are there.

So how do y'all approach access to those hard-to-reach areas? The ones without the features I mentioned above and with cattails, tall grass, tight brush? Just hunt them a select few times of the year?

I ask because I have several spots that humans simply don't go on a regular basis. Nowhere near them in fact... Except for hunting season.

Just curious about your approaches, tips and tricks.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ryan549
500 Club

Re: Accessing hunting spots

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:55 am

Honestly, if I have to, I pick the best day and conditions and bust right in. It goes against all logic, but sometimes there is no other option.
I’m recent years I have kayaked in. Maybe someone with a good sized drone could just drop me in a tree?
Ryan
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:21 am

I make a trial right now and have a way to access it in fall. This way I can controll sight sound and wind.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:22 am

Thanks. I try to stay to cover that is sort of out of the way or might be used by people, but undoubtedly the deer go there and will find the scent. Kayak as well, but where it gets grounded and I get out will only be a one or two time deal as well before the jig is up.

I guess I have to expect to burn those spots like matches and keep going to the next one. I wish that wasn’t the case.

I suppose another approach is to “stack” the property like Dan has mentioned before and sort of push them to the best bedding by methodically getting your scent in certain areas that might force the deer to go where you want them to go. But, that has risk because deer might just relocate to another property.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:29 am

I always defer to windy days on crappy access. A good windy day can make all the difference in the world for tough access.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:31 am

It's really hard in a lot of marsh spots to not burn it...lot's of tall marsh grass and cattails hold a lot of scent and to sneak in quietly usually you are walking in on deer trails.

I think when I hunt the hills it's a little easier to get an extra hunt or two out of an area just because there usually isn't as much ground vegetation to hold the scent.
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:46 am

If it’s a good spot with good access that I can hunt multiple times with low impact I will. If it’s one of those hard ones I just do whatever I feel is highest odds for that day and move on. I hunt mainly hill country though and have no input on swamp/marsh

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”