Deer winch.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Re: Deer winch.

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:34 pm

I’ve talked to a bunch of wardens in states that didn’t allow qrt packing out and everyone has let me pack em out. It’s been years since I’ve dragged one out and honestly prolly never will again. It’s just to easy to break em down in the field and pack them out.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:07 am

mauser06 wrote:I couldn't imagine using a boat winch.

I'd talk to the local warden and see if he'd actually care if I had to quarter and pack. Maybe when you're in a tough spot a call to him or the office would get you the blessing.

I'm all about working smarter not harder. Up hills, even with help, can be impossible.

Common sense can go a long way in most cases throughout life. Unfortunately people that write this stuff up have never killed a deer and watched it crash in the bottom of a box canyon.

Why dragging deer is such a thing in the east is beyond me. Guys in the NE on the Adirondacks and Maine act like it's a badge of honor. "Drug him 3 miles!" WHY?!?! Lol.

I still drag deer but it's a case by case basis. I carry several extraction tools. A boat winch isn't on the list. Sled, pack, cart.

In our terrain a deer cart isn't useful in about 80 percent of the terrain. I have a large and small jet sled to put the buck in.

Then attach the boat winch to the sled so it slides up hills easier. Sadly my state is backwards on nearly everything as far as hunting regulations goes. And are following the failed Wisconsin strategy torward cwd.

They even cut thousands of acres logging but will fine people cutting a few limbs only legal if they are making money off it. Alot just isn't thought out by our Twra I really think some person in Nashville put their mentally ill family member in charge of our wildlife resources department.

They even made the claim the biggest growth would be Tipton,Lauderdale and Dyer counties for my area but then allow 3 does per day harvest due to cwd in those counties. Common sense their won't be any growth only depopulation due to cwd regulations.

Sorry to rant but as you can see my state is the California of hunting regulations. It's no surprise they haven't legalized quartering deer that would make sense.

Backstraps hunts alot steeper terrain then I do not sure if he drags or quarters his out. If I didn't have to show proof of sex to the taxidermist legal or not I'd quarter the buck out.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:52 am

Gotta be frustrating.

Our tags are antlered or antlerless. Proof of sex isn't needed. If I quartered a doe, I'd pack the head out just to alleviate any possible questions at the truck. But I have no plans on ever quartering a doe. I try to kill them close to the truck lol.

I understand you gotta do what you gotta do. That's just brutal.

I tried a cart and that was an epic failure. One of those years I wasn't prepared. Hunting local. Killed a buck about a mile back in a marsh. Access is pretty easy...all open timber minus 1 water feature.

Ran home and debated. Sled? Pack? Cart? Eh. Fairly level open woods. Cart will be the ticket!

I have a 4 wheeled lawn mower cart. Big wheels. I used it the year prior on a gravel trail for over a mile and it was absolutely great.

That buck didn't fit in the cart. And using it over natural wooded terrain...allbthe old limbs and rocks and stuff under the leaves. It was awful. I killed the deer and had daylight left when I tagged him. It was beyond midnight and I wanted to cry when I got to the road.

I'm done solo dragging unless I know 1000% it'll be easy going. For the amount of time it takes to quarter and pack, I'll always be ahead with less effort unless I can basically see the truck down hill with snow lol.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:52 pm

Bought the winch.
This year I'm definitely trying this.
I already had some 2x6 2x8s and ratchet straps.

I chose a strap winch due to it being lighter to carry into the woods then cable it's still 30 feet. I'll add a eye to eye amsteel 50 foot rope and carabinder to it if needed.

20220729_204544.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:36 am

My cart, Jet sled, tree winch, and hitch hoist go into the truck when bear season opens and stay there until the the seasons are over.

Even if I took the deer out with the cart the deer usually gets tossed in the jet sled to minimize the mess.
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:55 am

That was a failure. Lol. I didn't make it aa couple feet from that picture abd he jumped out. Too hard headed to admit defeat....I kept muscling him back in just to watch him flop back out. The cart has a dump bed but it's still not easy.

Eventually got too tired to fight him back into the cart...drag 30-50-80-100yds and walk back and get the cart. That was my "break"

Groomed trails and smaller deer, that cart is the ticket.

Definitely a wise idea to be prepared for anything.

I keep a roll up deer sled in the truck. That works really well if you can get it lashed in nicely. Removes a ton of friction and helps keep the hide nice.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:05 am

mauser06 wrote:Image

That was a failure. Lol. I didn't make it aa couple feet from that picture abd he jumped out. Too hard headed to admit defeat....I kept muscling him back in just to watch him flop back out. The cart has a dump bed but it's still not easy.

Eventually got too tired to fight him back into the cart...drag 30-50-80-100yds and walk back and get the cart. That was my "break"

Groomed trails and smaller deer, that cart is the ticket.

Definitely a wise idea to be prepared for anything.

I keep a roll up deer sled in the truck. That works really well if you can get it lashed in nicely. Removes a ton of friction and helps keep the hide nice.

Yeah small jet sleds aren't that great either wasn't even a monster just a 3 year old and had trouble keeping him in the sled. Still dragging him uphill was a nightmare had to go up and down a bunch of times.

20211128_072939.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:30 am

I am welding my winch tonight and I am curious where is the best place to buy Amsteel rope from? Anyone have extra they would be willing to sell?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:31 am

NorthStar wrote:I am welding my winch tonight and I am curious where is the best place to buy Amsteel rope from? Anyone have extra they would be willing to sell?

Dutchware gear has amsteel.
I buy all my amsteel their they sell by the foot all sizes.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:42 am

It really sux you can't quarter and pack out. My buddy uses ropes and a pulley system to get them out of steep hills and ravines. He's got a bad back and he still manages pretty well.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:32 am

Just ordered 125ft of orange 1/8 amsteel from Dutchware! Seems like a cool company. Thanks for referral?

Tennhunter3 wrote:
NorthStar wrote:I am welding my winch tonight and I am curious where is the best place to buy Amsteel rope from? Anyone have extra they would be willing to sell?

Dutchware gear has amsteel.
I buy all my amsteel their they sell by the foot all sizes.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”