39.1%

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrdeerhuntr

39.1%

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:28 am

39.1% is your odds to draw zone 5 in IA as a non resident with 4 points. I am guessing in two years when I have 4 points at the time of the draw that number is going to be even lower. Here's to 2025!! I am not too upset as I have friend who just bought 80 acres in SE KS and have bought 2 points, so next year I will be headed there.

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/up ... d_draw.pdf

Chad Gus 715

Re: 39.1%

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:51 am

Not just Iowa, but all western states are experiencing the exact same thing. Drawing a decent area is getting to be tough, lucky for me i got into the points game awhile ago and have been building points in a dozen or so states so i have options.
Just an example of how bad it's getting, last year a drew an antelope tag with 10 points and i was 1 of 3 that had many points that drew. I hunted that unit 11 years ago, it took 0 points and had leftover Non resident tags back then.
Enjoy that tag, cuz when you draw there's a good chance you'll never draw that tag again.
equal opportunity hunter
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:58 am

Good old point creep despite the sure death of hunting culture as predicted by so many. I don’t buy it being a near lifelong public land hunter it’s as busy as ever out there.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:14 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Good old point creep despite the sure death of hunting culture as predicted by so many. I don’t buy it being a near lifelong public land hunter it’s as busy as ever out there.

I agree.
Haven't hunted the Midwest but I'm seeing as many hunters as ever.

I've never understood a point system can't people just rent a cheap house or camp spot say they live their for a year ,move over drivers license and get a tag or buy a lifetime hunting license after becoming a resident. As much as Iowa points -time cost per tag seems more cost effective to rent probably would work in Kansas ,South Dakota also.

In non resident Iowa cost it would definitely be cheaper to rent a house n purchase a lifetime tag then move away.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:24 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:Good old point creep despite the sure death of hunting culture as predicted by so many. I don’t buy it being a near lifelong public land hunter it’s as busy as ever out there.

I agree.

Public land hunting especially during bowhunting is at it’s highest level and the “IN” thing now due to the various outlets bringing it to everyones attention. Seems a lot come and go when they find out it’s not as easy as appears on YouTube. I expect over time the fad will diminish some. The covid lockdown years really boosted outdoors participation across the board with everything. Fishing was absolutely crazy and still hasn’t let up much. Seems more and more people rediscovered the outdoors through it all.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:43 am

Jrdeerhuntr wrote:39.1% is your odds to draw zone 5 in IA as a non resident with 4 points. I am guessing in two years when I have 4 points at the time of the draw that number is going to be even lower. Here's to 2025!! I am not too upset as I have friend who just bought 80 acres in SE KS and have bought 2 points, so next year I will be headed there.

Why zone 5? Is that the zone everyone wants to hunt? Are the odds for other zones better?
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:23 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:
Jrdeerhuntr wrote:39.1% is your odds to draw zone 5 in IA as a non resident with 4 points. I am guessing in two years when I have 4 points at the time of the draw that number is going to be even lower. Here's to 2025!! I am not too upset as I have friend who just bought 80 acres in SE KS and have bought 2 points, so next year I will be headed there.

Why zone 5? Is that the zone everyone wants to hunt? Are the odds for other zones better?

Zone 5 has the most public land for the southern zones in IA. Zones 4 and 6 are more like 75-80% to draw with 4 points. If the creep gets too bad next year I will be considering those for sure.
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:58 am

Also the real number is probably closer to 20.1% if you take away the permits people drew at 5,6,and 7 plus points.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:15 am

I was lucky enough to draw zone five this year, but it took my six years. I’m a young single fella, so I’m really thinking hard about just moving out there.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:45 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:

I agree.

I've never understood a point system can't people just rent a cheap house or camp spot say they live their for a year ,move over drivers license and get a tag or buy a lifetime hunting license after becoming a resident. As much as Iowa points -time cost per tag seems more cost effective to rent probably would work in Kansas ,South Dakota also.

In non resident Iowa cost it would definitely be cheaper to rent a house n purchase a lifetime tag then move away.

Pretty much every state has a minimum residency requirement to obtain resident tags (usually 180 days+) and then most states also have a yearly residency requirement after the first year to maintain the ability to purchase resident tags. For example, in Montana, you have to live here for 180 consecutive days to be able to get resident tags the first year. Then, after the first year, you have to live at least 4 months/year in the state to maintain the ability to purchase a tag. Makes it pretty impractical to game the system.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:38 am

Ill be going to iowa in 2025 hopefully but in zone 9 which i can get to in 3hrs so i can hunt it more then just 1 week ans i got an in to private ground as well along with public. But one seems to talk about 9 or 10 if ya wanna go to iowa real bad give those zones a look, its hill country for just a heads up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”