Any Suburban Bowhunters on here?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

Re: Any Suburban Bowhunters on here?

Unread postby VA5326 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 am

I do my fair share of urban archery hunting in Northern Virginia. I can say for sure that it is a different kind of hunting than the typical public/farm land hunting. It is without a doubt some of the most rewarding/exciting hunting I have ever done. The places I hunt range from 5-100 acres right in the middle of Northern Virginia Suburbia. The deer in my areas are definitely accustomed to human traffic but, at the same time, are good at detecting when they are being hunted. A lot of the time, like others have said, some places can only be hunted on particular winds but there are some pieces I hunt that it is nothing to see 10-15 deer in one sit. Where the true challenge is in urban hunting is getting onto a big buck. They are just as smart if not smarter than the typical big woods buck. Urban bucks have this innate ability to detect when they are being hunted even with a ton of human scent in the area. I also agree that they have multiple bedding locations on different lots. During the rut in suburbia, I have witnessed some of the most exciting chasing that I have ever seen anywhere. Last year on one all day sit on a saddle that is in the ideal location, I had multiple does come through in different directions. The amount of bucks that I saw was incredible. That day, I witnessed two separate mature buck fights and three different chases. It was spectacular to say the least. Here in Northern Virginia, I'd say the most difficult part of getting into urban archery hunting is finding people who will give you permission to hunt. For every 20 "no's" I'm lucky to get one "yes", but that one "yes" has always been a great piece of land whether it's 5 acres behind someone's house in a neighborhood or a 100 acre forgotten farm in the middle of the suburbs.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”