Permission

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Permission

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:54 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
<DK> wrote:

I like shrimp :angelic-flying:

For you, Ill stop and get some of Dollar General's finest! :lol:

"Gulf Caught" lol

rs2893

Unread postby rs2893 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:35 am

I recently asked for and was denied permission to hunt some land. I knocked on their door and asked. He was polite and told me he appreciated me asking instead of just trespassing. He is rifle only but did not want the property disturbed beforehand. I respect his decision but the one remark he made kind of bothered me… he referred to “his deer”. No man no one owns the deer.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:37 am

szwampdonkey wrote:I’m always gracious and ask if i can EARN the privelege to hunt their land. That being said, i live in SE WI so 99.9% the answer is still no as it seems you have to have an in around these parts. Guess i don’t blame people with how high the human population is in SE WI.

The .1% of the time i’ve gotten access though it’s been a great place to hunt so well worth the almost guaranteed rejection to at least ask.

You have asked 1000 landowners and only one said yes. Man that’s hard work if I did the math right. I’ll avoid asking for permission in southeast Wisconsin
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:27 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:I’m always gracious and ask if i can EARN the privelege to hunt their land. That being said, i live in SE WI so 99.9% the answer is still no as it seems you have to have an in around these parts. Guess i don’t blame people with how high the human population is in SE WI.

The .1% of the time i’ve gotten access though it’s been a great place to hunt so well worth the almost guaranteed rejection to at least ask.

You have asked 1000 landowners and only one said yes.Man that’s hard work if I did the math right. I’ll avoid asking for permission in southeast Wisconsin

No, i’ve asked 2000 and gotten 2 yes.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:59 am

Boogieman1 wrote:These days I would straight up offer them cash before ever suggesting some kind of work. Just my opinion here but if you look at the cost of the work you are volunteering for you will soon realize it would have been cheaper to just offer money. For years I had permission to hunt 3 different properties in exchange i had to brush hogged their place every summer. Was a sweet deal cause I had a buddy with a tractor. Well he sold the tractor! I called around trying to find someone else. It was ungodly high. I’m talking over $6,000 for all 3 places. I just walked away from those places.

When I ask now it’s I’m curious if I could hunt your place. If no, would you consider a small trespass fee. If no, I thank them for their time and tell them I will try again next year and here’s my number if you change your mind or have any friends who would consider letting me hunt.

If that doesn’t work I solicit the help of an attractive street walker and instruct her to seduce the man and take lots of pics. I then show up at his house with a big envelope and highly suggest he reconsiders letting me hunt. :lol:

You have to be careful with cash. In some states, like mine, paying for recreational access opens the land owner to liability if someone is injured.

Landowner Liability Release: Landowners permitting use of their property for recreation without charging a fee are not liable for injuries to recreational users of their property except in cases of willful, wanton, or reckless conduct by the owner. (MGL Ch. 21 § 17C)

On the plus side, if your state does have a law similar to this you can make the landowner aware of it and it might ease their minds when it comes to allowing you to hunt their property.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:39 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote: the plus side, if your state does have a law similar to this you can make the landowner aware of it and it might ease their minds when it comes to allowing you to hunt their property.

Bob

Great point, I forgot to add this on my post. Make them feel better up front by telling them you buy insurance for it. Its cheap anyways and a steal as far as cost for hunting a property.
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:56 pm

For my first several years of hunting I worked out the typical help the farmer, help your buddy from work cut his fire wood or weedeat etc etc deals and although I gained permission to hunt it always ended up falling through for one reason or another, and I never had exclusive access to the property anyways so most of my time and labor was in vain. These days I ask to simply just hunt in exchange for nothing, if it works good. If not I just stick to public or the places where they will let anyone hunt. Much less hassle in the end and I’m not spending my time working to keep a deal that at any given time “the rug could be pulled out from under me” so to speak. That kind of sounds like a lazy approach in a way but I’ve just been burnt to many times
Babscanes

Unread postby Babscanes » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:56 am

Networking is key.

I’ve gotten permission from coworkers who do not hunt and friends/family the same way.

It’s almost impossible now to just knock on doors around my area.

I’m still trying to get on a spot my neighbors brother owns. I’m not pushing it hard but I’ll ask occasionally. Guess the owner is aloof.

Just let anyone you know who is open to hunting that your always looking for spots. You will be surprised at the access to u can get.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”