Spotlight/shining Tactics - no fields

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dyeguy1212

Spotlight/shining Tactics - no fields

Unread postby dyeguy1212 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:23 am

I keep hearing how effective spotlights can be in locating big bucks. I've always overlooked it for my area, given the "big woods" setting with no surrounding ag fields.

What strategies have you employed in these settings? I'm considering setting up my stand on the edge of a clear cut or marsh, but I'm not sure how fruitful it'll be.

Tips?

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Spotlight/shining Tactics - no fields

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:33 am

Id imagine the best bet is to just run cams in that setting. Otherwise I would just glass w Binos in the timber. Not an easy task..

One thing I like to do and had great luck w in the hills/timber , is scout on rain days and push close to bedding. Iv gotten very close to bucks. If I accidentally bump them, they are disoriented and not really sure what happened.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:25 am

I believe the best big woods tactic is boots on the ground scouting. Find areas with historical buck sign. Check back on these locations as the season unfolds. I would suggest “Tracking 200” YouTube videos. Big woods tracking 101 explained that involves a lot of scouting and makes reference to what I mentioned above.
Shoot Straight
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:12 am

Its difficult to shine in big woods settings especially in summer, too much foilage. Ill try to find some kind of clearcut with some openings, or rows of pines you can get some visibility. I usually dont see much in these areas in the summer though, their all around AG. If its legal and you can shine into Sept and October, big woods will start heating up. Youll get some eyes on bucks when the foilage is more thinned out and their staging for the rut.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”