journal notes....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

StitchandStache

Re: journal notes....

Unread postby StitchandStache » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:59 am

dan wrote:
StitchandStache wrote:If there was this little reaction to scent when deer got down wind why set up with a cross wind/wind to nose in the first place?

Not sure if I fully understand your question. I never set up with my wind blowing towards a deers nose. Once deer smell you, whether they run and blow, or simply walk away matters little. They know you were there. As far as setting up on a crosswind, I think thats often taken out of context . The #1 reason I set up on a cross wind is because the buck is bedded on a point because the wind is blowing down that point. He leaves his bed a little earlier, and ventures farther with wind in his favor, and is not even bedded there most of the time if the wind is not blowing down the point because the bed is wind specific . If the buck is leaving down hill or away from the point, hey great, you set up wind to face, if he is going into the point the only time to hunt there is when the wind is in the bucks favor so you look for a just off wind.

Thanks Dan, I love reading your posts and using your tactics. Your scent control, or lack there of is something that I struggle with. This reply helps. I thought initially you were saying that you did not believe the majority of the deer smelled you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”