Kansas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wihunter95

Kansas

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:25 am

Planning a Kansas trip this year, had a preference point already so I'm pretty confident I'll draw. I've never hunted this terrain before and could use some advice on what I should be looking for when e scouting. I'm taking two weeks of vaca so I'm undecided if I should start the first week of November or second. Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Ghost Hunter

Re: Kansas

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun May 22, 2022 10:41 am

I have nothing to offer up. Other than checking topos. Also, good luck if you get there.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Pager24

Unread postby Pager24 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:27 am

I don't personally hunt KS but live nearby. Not sure which part of the state you are looking at? Either way, I would definitely suggest downloading the KS hunting land Google Earth KMZ file. It shows all public land and also includes special walk-in access and other special use areas. Pretty helpful if you haven't already downloaded it.

https://ksoutdoors.com/KDWP-Info/Locati ... arth-Files
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Sun May 22, 2022 1:21 pm

Anyone know when the draw results will be available?
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sun May 22, 2022 1:47 pm

Pager24 wrote:I don't personally hunt KS but live nearby. Not sure which part of the state you are looking at? Either way, I would definitely suggest downloading the KS hunting land Google Earth KMZ file. It shows all public land and also includes special walk-in access and other special use areas. Pretty helpful if you haven't already downloaded it.

I use google earth for scouting, but haven't heard of this kmz file for hunting areas. is that something you can get for other states as well? I see you're a MO guy to, what part of the state are you in?
Pager24

Unread postby Pager24 » Sun May 22, 2022 2:53 pm

Not sure about most other states? Likely depends on state funding. But MO, KS, IA, and NE all have them available last I checked.

I live in the Kansas City area. I really like it. Grateful to have quite a few public hunting options nearby
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 am

Mike32 wrote:Anyone know when the draw results will be available?

X2 I’m chomping at the bit. Everything I’ve read says it should be very soon but we haven’t heard a thing
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:15 am

VaBowKill5 wrote:
Mike32 wrote:Anyone know when the draw results will be available?

X2 I’m chomping at the bit. Everything I’ve read says it should be very soon but we haven’t heard a thing

Was 5/21/20 & 5/25/21.

Seems we have quite a few waiting on results. I’m guessing success rate with 0 points swings even lower this year.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:51 am

Pager24 wrote:I don't personally hunt KS but live nearby. Not sure which part of the state you are looking at? Either way, I would definitely suggest downloading the KS hunting land Google Earth KMZ file. It shows all public land and also includes special walk-in access and other special use areas. Pretty helpful if you haven't already downloaded it.

I'm hoping to get unit 8. Seemed like a decent amount of open land in the area looking at on x, and I didn't want to go too far west. Already a 9-10 hour drive. Definitely going to check that KMZ file. Never hurts to have more options
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Tue May 24, 2022 1:17 pm

Hunted there for the first time last year but picked up on a few things. Drew Unit 7 and 8….hunted in 7 but killed very close to 8

Definitely look at KDWP google earth file. Cross reference with your mapping app of choice when looking at parcels to hunt. Parcels are picked up and unenrolled at any time so you don’t want to waste time escouting a spot hard and turns out its not open. I did it on a couple

Its always windy in Kansas…..always. Even at night. Thermals were a non-factor for me on my hunt.

To go along with windy making thermals not much of a factor is how big bucks cruise an area. The open stuff has cover down low in draws/bottoms. The big bucks cruising a wide draw/creek bottom will actually cruise up higher. I saw lots of deer down in bottoms but big bucks higher up. They will cruise the downwind side of a wide draw up near the top not the leeward side. That way they can smell everything in the draw and use their eyes to keep them safe. They seemed to still stick near whatever cover is there even though sparse.

Look big picture when escouting. Look at all adjoining properties. There may not be main food sources on the WIHA you hunt but adjoining properties may have it. The ones with Ag usually had hunters. Also look at terrain funnels, drainages, or creeks in a big scale. The parcel you hunt may not have bedding on it but might connect bedding.

Get out of the truck. Even if you are just glassing. Things look a lot different just 200 yards off the road. If you can see it from the road other people can too.

It doesn’t take much to hide deer out there. Clumps of brush, ditches, few cedars. Don’t write off a property because there isn't a tree on it. Deer use lo spots or creases in a field to travel out of sight. Use it to your advantage as well. Don't walk at the top of a pasture to access an area, sky-lighting yourself the whole way…..even at night.

Get comfortable on the ground. Seems like every good looking spot I found was filled with thorny locust trees or small cedars LOL. Opens up a lot more opportunity for ambush.

Most of all keep an open mind. I wanted Kansas to fit into my “Beast” style of hunting and in some areas it might. The open terrain really changes things. Some things translate but others I found just the opposite. I would have probably come home empty handed if I tried to force it to be what it wasn't. Good luck out there! It is amazing country and I will be going back every chance I get!
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Tue May 24, 2022 1:17 pm

Double post
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Thu May 26, 2022 3:03 am

naternate wrote:Hunted there for the first time last year but picked up on a few things. Drew Unit 7 and 8….hunted in 7 but killed very close to 8

Definitely look at KDWP google earth file. Cross reference with your mapping app of choice when looking at parcels to hunt. Parcels are picked up and unenrolled at any time so you don’t want to waste time escouting a spot hard and turns out its not open. I did it on a couple

Its always windy in Kansas…..always. Even at night. Thermals were a non-factor for me on my hunt.

To go along with windy making thermals not much of a factor is how big bucks cruise an area. The open stuff has cover down low in draws/bottoms. The big bucks cruising a wide draw/creek bottom will actually cruise up higher. I saw lots of deer down in bottoms but big bucks higher up. They will cruise the downwind side of a wide draw up near the top not the leeward side. That way they can smell everything in the draw and use their eyes to keep them safe. They seemed to still stick near whatever cover is there even though sparse.

Look big picture when escouting. Look at all adjoining properties. There may not be main food sources on the WIHA you hunt but adjoining properties may have it. The ones with Ag usually had hunters. Also look at terrain funnels, drainages, or creeks in a big scale. The parcel you hunt may not have bedding on it but might connect bedding.

Get out of the truck. Even if you are just glassing. Things look a lot different just 200 yards off the road. If you can see it from the road other people can too.

It doesn’t take much to hide deer out there. Clumps of brush, ditches, few cedars. Don’t write off a property because there isn't a tree on it. Deer use lo spots or creases in a field to travel out of sight. Use it to your advantage as well. Don't walk at the top of a pasture to access an area, sky-lighting yourself the whole way…..even at night.

Get comfortable on the ground. Seems like every good looking spot I found was filled with thorny locust trees or small cedars LOL. Opens up a lot more opportunity for ambush.

Most of all keep an open mind. I wanted Kansas to fit into my “Beast” style of hunting and in some areas it might. The open terrain really changes things. Some things translate but others I found just the opposite. I would have probably come home empty handed if I tried to force it to be what it wasn't. Good luck out there! It is amazing country and I will be going back every chance I get!

Thanks for the info. I'll probably hunt from the ground and still hunt alot to cover ground and get into those spots
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:40 am

What is taking so long!!?? Anybody heard anything yet?
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:19 am

I heard no hunting in kansas this year..better grab an otc somewhere else
dyeguy1212

Unread postby dyeguy1212 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:36 am

VaBowKill5 wrote:What is taking so long!!?? Anybody heard anything yet?

I cant believe they don't have a committed date for results. When I called a while back, the lady just said "late may early june". Typical government bullspit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”