Deer Hunting in the Fog

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jteulker
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/josh.teulker/p ... 02133&sour

Deer Hunting in the Fog

Unread postby jteulker » Mon May 16, 2022 10:39 pm

Thought this would be a good discussion to hear peoples opinion on. Check out this clip on hunting in the fog that Dan Infalt got asked on Before the Echo last week. What is everyone's thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tEbNyb6utE

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Deer Hunting in the Fog

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 17, 2022 5:55 am

Here’s a guess. I think it was Big Burner who mentioned that he only likes hunting bluebird skies and high pressure. And maybe it was someone else. :lol:

Anyway, scent molecules don’t linger as long in those dry conditions, particularly with rising thermals.

So what do you see deer doing when they want to smell something? Lick their noses. Moisture helps them pickup scent.

So maybe all the moisture in the air actually helps them pick up scent easier and therefore they are more confident in seeing with their noses in those conditions?

Just a guess. And probably an incorrect one. :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue May 17, 2022 7:59 am

I noticed deer in general like fog because scent is super detectable with the moisture and it is a form of cover for them. I've had alot encounters on foggy days and it is a great observation!!!! The deer don't need to see much they go with their nose, the only problem is by time you see them they are super close but if you get near a road or a stream I guess you could hear them coming......... great post!!!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:53 am

Hmm very cool I never considered fog.

Though I have seen deer moving on mornings while driving. So the getting back to bed later may be a thing.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed May 18, 2022 3:23 pm

Makes sense.
No real confirming repetitive experience but I have noticed on several occasions that on windless mornings they will loiter or even bed down on a field edge until there is a noticeable wind or maybe stronger thermal so they can pick out their bed for the day accordingly.

Most times w fog it is very light or no breeze at all….
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:00 am

I have never noticed any excessive deer movement associated with fog. But then again I tend to hunt higher elevation in the morning and fog lingers in the low lying bottoms.

However, I don’t prefer bluebird skies and light variable winds. Give me a drizzly day in the low 40s with a Northernly wind blowing 8-12 mph in November and I’m in heaven!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:59 am

The three biggest bucks I have seen in Michigan have all been foggy days. I think the bigger ones feel more secure and are willing to move alittle later in the morning with thick fog cover. Didn't get a shot on them but did see them out in the open in heavy pressure areas. I haven't noticed it much in other states but I guess I am not even sure how many foggy days I have hunted out of state either. I don't mind hunting in crap weather though so fog is just another day of week just gotta stay ready with the limited sight.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri May 27, 2022 5:49 am

I like a light rain or even heavy winds more than fog.

Can't think of any deer I've seen hunting in fog. Same for heavier rainy days.

My fav is a frontal system that will come thru right at dawn or within an hour or so. Let it rain like mad from 3 am til 8 am and then clear. I will be in stand at 7 am (in the rain) and expect movement within 30 minutes of the rain stopping and front's passing. The deer will be bedded where they spend the night and will head for the daytime bed after the weather stops. Hard to time weather and hunting seasons but when that combination comes together - be on it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”