Deer drives...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you drive deer?

No
36%
Yes. On private land
23%
Yes. On public land
32%
Yes. When invited to hunt other peoples land, but not mine.
8%

Total votes: 108
headgear
500 Club

Re: Deer drives...

Unread postby headgear » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:08 pm

We rarely do drives but every now and then we will make a small 1 or 2 man push, or have everyone sit and have one guy kind of work in and out of our general area if the deer aren't moving on their own.

The old timers use to rotate stands to stay warm and move deer, hunter A would walk to hunter B, then hunter B would loop back to hunter A's stand. They said it was very effective but nothing I would consider a mature buck tactic.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am

I always carry my GPS while driving and stillhunting! I have found some great spots in the swamp on little knobs of higher ground. We also drive slowly and very quiet! Lots of zig zagging too. The deer are not hauling usually when they come by the posters. They are just sneaking past. We use radios to stay lined up during the drive. The posters buzz us when they are ready, then shut their radios off so the drivers can talk during the drive. The posters hold their post until someone tells them for sure the drive is over. We have shot many bucks sneaking out at the very end when most of the guys thought the drive was over.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

An excellent way to fill the freezer. However, not really a mature buck tactic that is effective. We usually save it for the last week of the season in areas we dont plant to stand hunt.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 pm

No, I am a Lone Wolf on public land. :) I hunt with a recurve so I don't want to be around anyone else when I am hunting unless I am trying to help someone kill a deer.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Haven't done it much. I did hunt in Iowa a couple times and that is a big tradition in that state.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 pm

To be honest I absolutely hate deer drives that go on during our Minnesota gun season. It's very effective around here and lots of bucks get shot. Lots of bucks and doe's get shot too that don't get found either, that's my In this. Every time the neighbors line up for a drive I cringe and cringe hard. Allot of people around my area know nothing about deer themselves. They start driving day one of the season and don't stop till the end. When the neighbors drive I try to be In the woods. Most times I'll see more deer then they will as their drives/set ups are so backwards but I still get nervous every time thinking they might get lucky and get a buck I'm after or get a buck I've let go a few different times In hopes of him making It another year. To be honest I wish deer drives were Illegal for gun hunters. Most don't know what their shooting at when these deer are 70+ yards away. No wonder deer get wounded while doing this. Around here If the deer doesn't drop after they shoot they think they missed.

We do deer drives with our bows the last week of the Minnesota archery season. Their nice slow pushes which we've been very successful with. In the 15+ years we've been doing these we've lost one deer In which that deer lived as It was just a graze on her brisket. If the gun hunters around here didn't take these long running shots I'd look at It different then. It will never change here though. I really hate the gun season here but It's needed to keep things In check.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:51 am

Schultzy wrote:To be honest I absolutely hate deer drives that go on during our Minnesota gun season. It's very effective around here and lots of bucks get shot. Lots of bucks and doe's get shot too that don't get found either, that's my In this. Every time the neighbors line up for a drive I cringe and cringe hard. Allot of people around my area know nothing about deer themselves. They start driving day one of the season and don't stop till the end. When the neighbors drive I try to be In the woods. Most times I'll see more deer then they will as their drives/set ups are so backwards but I still get nervous every time thinking they might get lucky and get a buck I'm after or get a buck I've let go a few different times In hopes of him making It another year. To be honest I wish deer drives were Illegal for gun hunters. Most don't know what their shooting at when these deer are 70+ yards away. No wonder deer get wounded while doing this. Around here If the deer doesn't drop after they shoot they think they missed.

You live near me Schultzy?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 am

I can't tell you how many times we have been setting up to drive a piece when some frozen pumpkin sitting in the middle of an open hardwood ridge, in sight of his car mind you :lol: , comes stumbling out of the woods only to see us making a drive and quickly stumbles back to his stand :lol: Gun season is good for a lot of laughs :lol:
Obsession Bows
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:39 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I can't tell you how many times we have been setting up to drive a piece when some frozen pumpkin sitting in the middle of an open hardwood ridge, in sight of his car mind you :lol: , comes stumbling out of the woods only to see us making a drive and quickly stumbles back to his stand :lol: Gun season is good for a lot of laughs :lol:
Yep, gotta laugh!! :lol:

Just so everyone knows I'm not ripping on all gun hunters. Just the Idiots around me. ;)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:40 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
Schultzy wrote:To be honest I absolutely hate deer drives that go on during our Minnesota gun season. It's very effective around here and lots of bucks get shot. Lots of bucks and doe's get shot too that don't get found either, that's my In this. Every time the neighbors line up for a drive I cringe and cringe hard. Allot of people around my area know nothing about deer themselves. They start driving day one of the season and don't stop till the end. When the neighbors drive I try to be In the woods. Most times I'll see more deer then they will as their drives/set ups are so backwards but I still get nervous every time thinking they might get lucky and get a buck I'm after or get a buck I've let go a few different times In hopes of him making It another year. To be honest I wish deer drives were Illegal for gun hunters. Most don't know what their shooting at when these deer are 70+ yards away. No wonder deer get wounded while doing this. Around here If the deer doesn't drop after they shoot they think they missed.

Lol!! 45 minutes, yep were close. :mrgreen:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 am

Schultzy wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I can't tell you how many times we have been setting up to drive a piece when some frozen pumpkin sitting in the middle of an open hardwood ridge, in sight of his car mind you :lol: , comes stumbling out of the woods only to see us making a drive and quickly stumbles back to his stand :lol: Gun season is good for a lot of laughs :lol:
Yep, gotta laugh!! :lol:

Just so everyone knows I'm not ripping on all gun hunters. Just the Idiots around me. ;)

X2!!! :lol:
Obsession Bows
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Schultzy wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

Lol!! 45 minutes, yep were close. :mrgreen:

Haha I know..you pretty much described gun season around me to a T..Between my post and yours, I dont think we missed anything! :lol:
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:06 am

I never thought i would enjoy deer drives until I was invited this year.

My buddy has permission on a huge property close to 1200 acres in a suburban area. Once December hits they drive it every weekend. I found that its a fun social activity. No one takes it as serious as real hunting, we just get out there have fun, laugh, and kill deer.

Its an archery only county so we're all using archery tackle which makes it even more fun. We might push 2 or 3 drives and have nothing come by, then do another and have 60+ deer run by in one shot...and that is no exaggeration at all. This piece isn't heavily hunted but the neighboring properties are and by December, all of the deer are hanging out on this land and yarded up big time.

We find that the big mature bucks are VERY difficult to drive. This property had 12 confirmed P&Y's that made it through the season, and dozens of smaller bucks, yet we found that the bucks would not run with the does, they would cut off short, or circle back down and around the drivers.

I had it happen personally to me when I was pushing. Buck let me walk right up on him, I kicked him up like a pheasant (scared the crap out of me) and he ran 20 yards to the left, did a 180 and ran right around me just over the ridge out of my sight less that 30 yards away.......smart .

Any way I killed 3 doe in 4 Sundays of drives, and it was a blast. These guys have a 125 minumim so no one is killing little deer and believe it or not, they do this on this property ever year in December (season ends the 31st) and every year with out fail the big boys are still living there in October when the season begins and theyre there chasing does in November. Where they go in December im not sure haha, but Im glad they come back.

Dont get me wrong, this is very new to me and by no means a prefered way of hunting for me. I take bowhunting way to seriously to be doing this during October or November, but once the rut is over I'm all for it as long as its safe legal and we are having fun.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 am

bump
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:09 am

Yes I do deer drives on private and public, mostly when invited. I don't care much for being a poster though, so usually walk. Most often these drives are for spending time with friends , it's a nice break after being perched in a stand by myself all bow season. Usually they are just for filling freezers and less for trophy hunting, I personally don't get the same satisfaction from killing a good buck on a drive vs hunting on my own. Small groups are better than big, I avoid big gang drives like the plague.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”