Deer drives...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you drive deer?

No
36%
Yes. On private land
23%
Yes. On public land
32%
Yes. When invited to hunt other peoples land, but not mine.
8%

Total votes: 108
G3s
500 Club

Re: Deer drives...

Unread postby G3s » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 am

I have been in on a couple of drives. Not really my cup of tea. I am a stand hunter i guess, and that is how I prefer to do my hunting

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:11 am

My question to any gun hunter is how do you know that buck you shot wasnt bumped by a hunter walking into his stand in the morning.Its really the same thing as a deer drive only on a smaller scale(Or should i say larger scale 700,000 hunters).So if you arent 100% sure the buck was moving naturally by your stand in the morning dont pull the trigger.

I never said I have not, or wouldn't shoot a deer driven by hunters. My point is its bad managment for a private farm unless your managment plan is merley to reduce deer numbers.
I would rather some of the sub-mature bucks survive and we get some super bucks.
We talked a while back about having sanctuarys. This is one reason I would absolutly agree with a sanctuary. If you have to have drives, create an area thats off limits, but I bet some drivers will get real mad when they start seeing big bucks heading there to hide...
I am not at all against driving, but certainly see a lot of bad sides to that type of hunting.
One that surprisingly has not come up is safety... Most of the fatalitys and injurys during gun hunting come from deer drives. Drives also wound a lot of deer because of shooting at running deer. But really, my biggest problem with it where I hunt is that you see less mature bucks on land that gets driven every year. One 70 acre farm I hunt used to have a group of land owners come over and drive it 4 or 5 times every gun season. The land owner had rules on what could be shot but I can't remember a single year someone did not "accidently" shoot a small buck, or several. The land owner on the farm I hunted put up with it because he got to hunt all of there farms doing drives. I went along once and had a 100 inch 8 pointer run past and they were so mad I didn't shoot it they said I could not come back again :roll: Aparently thats a "big buck" to them, and they could not stomach telling the rest of the groups that they didn't all get there bucks... When the farmer on the land I hunt finally agreed to stop the driving and lost the 1000's of acres of land to drive, we actually started seeing big bucks again. aND IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG before he shot his biggest ever...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 am

We save our deer driving for the very last two days of bow season in NY. All season long the deer are hunted in normal ways. Driving deer with bows on the last day of season dosen't mess anything up as far as the bigger bucks go, but if we did it in the middle of the season they would all probably leave.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:53 am

I guess it's what is defined as a "deer drive"

If were talking about a drive like pheasant hunting, where you have drivers, flankers and posters...No, haven't done that in 30 years, and I almost got shot on that drive, never again.

But if were referring to tactics used to move a bedded buck to another hunter, I would say ....Yes, some of our preferred midday tactics employ moving deer to another hunter. Wheter thats a 2 man stalk/ drive hunt, or a 2 man sneak hunt through a bedding area to move a deer to a posted hunter, or a nudge hunt on a specific buck while other hunters cover escape routes, all can be very affective under the right conditions.

Would the bump and dump tactic discussed on the forum be considered a drive? Or stacking? Doesn't both employ moving deer, so they can be killed?
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:28 am

gun season for most dingbats in wNY is only about deer drives

unsafe and about the easiest way to derail managment on a piece of ground
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:34 am

if i am driving deer i ALWAYS want to be the driver, 90% of the biggest deer i have ever seen get killed on deer drives are killed by the driver not the posters. i enjoy driving deer when it is well planned out and conducted well with people that can be trusted. i accidentally kicked out a dandy 8 point to my dad 2 years ago. i self drive this point to him every year, and this time i didnt think i was driving it , i thought i was looking for a doe i shot and seconds later he dropped a hog 8 pointer.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 am

Would the bump and dump tactic discussed on the forum be considered a drive? Or stacking? Doesn't both employ moving deer, so they can be killed?

Good point... I guess what I meant was pushing deer on purpose with a group of hunters. Most of my experiances with Bump & dump have been after accidently bumping a shooter buck and then setting up on the new found bed. I think Andrae mainly uses the method when he does not know the exact location of the bed...
How much driveing deer hurts you would have a lot to do with how much land you have, how much pressure the ajcent propertys have, if its land you manage, or a place your just passing thru, etc...
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:42 am

We do some drives her in the u.p. It is anything but a 'gimme" hunt when your driving big woods or cedar swamps. the overall success rate is not very good. I have seen deer crawling on all fours going in between drivers. Some small bucks are killed but not many mature. Would be a great way to fill doe permits but we havent had any available in our area in probably 10 years.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 am

U.P. MAN wrote:We do some drives her in the u.p. It is anything but a 'gimme" hunt when your driving big woods or cedar swamps. the overall success rate is not very good. I have seen deer crawling on all fours going in between drivers. Some small bucks are killed but not many mature. Would be a great way to fill doe permits but we havent had any available in our area in probably 10 years.

X2 where I hunt! We have killed some 130-140 inch bucks driving public though!! We have 9 guys in our camp. We are very safe and it has been the same 9 since 1998! one tactic we use quite often after opening weekend is called organized stillhunts. We take a piece of swamp, surround it with all 9 guys or however many we have hunting, and we all go in from different directions and millaround. we still hunt for a while, then sit down for 30 minutes. this goes on for half a day or all day, depending on what we are seeing?? The deer are usually not hauling either like on drives sometimes! We have killed many many bucks doing this!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
upssmann

Unread postby upssmann » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:01 pm

dan wrote:

Good point... I guess what I meant was pushing deer on purpose with a group of hunters. Most of my experiances with Bump & dump have been after accidently bumping a shooter buck and then setting up on the new found bed. I think Andrae mainly uses the method when he does not know the exact location of the bed...
How much driveing deer hurts you would have a lot to do with how much land you have, how much pressure the ajcent propertys have, if its land you manage, or a place your just passing thru, etc...
Last edited by upssmann on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:05 pm

upssmann wrote:
dan wrote:

Well I have one question about Turkey hunting with no BOOTS OR SOCKS ON in the Turkey video Why would someone hunt with no boots or shoes in bare feet REALLY u kidding me, Back in the day when I was younger I did alot of run and gunning and killed my fair share of gobblers , but never needed to take my boots off down to bare feet to do it, I quess common sense is a thing of the past not to mention the safty factor of cutting your feet give me a break, sorry this was eating at me just had to say something, never saw anything like that in my life LOL,,,,,,,[/quote]
Obsession Bows
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 pm

I screwed up :oops: Anyways the last guys post has nothing to do with the topic of deer drives???? :?
Obsession Bows
upssmann

Unread postby upssmann » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:I screwed up :oops: Anyways the last guys post has nothing to do with the topic of deer drives???? :?

sorry publiclandbeast I should of posted it on the turkey page ...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:43 pm

upssmann wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I screwed up :oops: Anyways the last guys post has nothing to do with the topic of deer drives???? :?

sorry publiclandbeast I should of posted it on the turkey page ...

No big deal!! ;)
Obsession Bows
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:35 pm

I love to drive deer during gun season. My family has been doing it for 3 gerations on the same public land and private. It's a tradition, a time when we all get together and enjoy each other's company. We're hardly the idiots that you hear yelling at the deer as they walk through the woods. We still hunt (when not in the cattails) and try to teach the younger hunters some woodsmanship along the way. We hit a lot of the cattail marshes, where most hunters don't wana go- hipboots and canoes are a must. During the later stages of the gun season, you're not going to get a look at the bucks we shoot unless you're driving the deer. We're an expeirenced group that's safe and we are selective in what we shoot b/c nobody wants to drag a little buck or a doe through all those cattails. We kill big deer every year and every year some old marsh slob gets away too. I've found the majority of my public land marsh bow stands while driving too. So I absolutley love it. In addition, there's no bigger rush than to have a mature buck jump up 20 ft in front of you when you're bust'n through the cattails knee deep..or deeper in water. I've had deer swim away from me, it's quite a sight. Anyone that's not afraid of a little work has had a great time with us. Believe me the deer have more than a fighting chance to get away in the marshes we hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”