Standard stick

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tlholmes

Standard stick

Unread postby tlholmes » Wed May 11, 2022 1:55 am

I’m using the 20” mini sticks with my set up right now & a movable aider. 0 complaints, 0 issues.
Ive been looking at the 24” sticks and either shed a stick or have the option for a little more height if needed. Maybe even combine the two using the standard stick for my first couple sticks on the tree then going from there.
I’m 5’10. Worried about the length between steps being too great. Is anyone else my size using the standard stick? If so, how does it work out?

He’ll see you twice, hear you three times, but he's only gonna smell you once.....
Buckharasser150

Re: Standard stick

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:05 am

tlholmes wrote:I’m using the 20” mini sticks with my set up right now & a movable aider. 0 complaints, 0 issues.
Ive been looking at the 24” sticks and either shed a stick or have the option for a little more height if needed. Maybe even combine the two using the standard stick for my first couple sticks on the tree then going from there.
I’m 5’10. Worried about the length between steps being too great. Is anyone else my size using the standard stick? If so, how does it work out?

im slightly shorter and the sticks are perfect for me!
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Wed May 11, 2022 3:02 am

I'm only 5'6 and the 24" step is fine for me. I'm 36 and active tho so may make a difference depending on ability. I often space my sticks out more than 24".
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Wed May 11, 2022 4:14 am

I’m the same age & like a further spacing as well.

I’m looking at them now and it appears the standard stick with the solid spine is sold out but the lighter standard stick with the cutouts are in stock. My minis are the no hole.

I read somewhere where a guy said the cutouts would make a whistling sound in the wind. I’m in maintenance & the picture looks as if the cutouts are 3/8” maybe even a 1/2” hole. If a wind makes those whistle I’m probably going for a ride in the tree anyways. So I believe that comment was bs from someone with intentions other than an honest review.

I’d rather have the lighter load & believe I’ll go with those.
He’ll see you twice, hear you three times, but he's only gonna smell you once.....
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Wed May 11, 2022 4:30 am

tlholmes wrote:I’m the same age & like a further spacing as well.

I’m looking at them now and it appears the standard stick with the solid spine is sold out but the lighter standard stick with the cutouts are in stock. My minis are the no hole.

I read somewhere where a guy said the cutouts would make a whistling sound in the wind. I’m in maintenance & the picture looks as if the cutouts are 3/8” maybe even a 1/2” hole. If a wind makes those whistle I’m probably going for a ride in the tree anyways. So I believe that comment was bs from someone with intentions other than an honest review.

I have the minis with the holes and never heard any whistling. Even with some pretty strong winds.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Wed May 11, 2022 4:41 am

tlholmes wrote:I’m the same age & like a further spacing as well.

Yeah the whistle is bogus. I believe it was something the competition claimed could be an issue. Mines stealth stripped over the holes anyway.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 11, 2022 4:44 am

The LGBT stand company started the whistle rumor... its not true. Seriously with the way they act, their fowl mouthes, what they have been doing to companies like mine, the real lone wolf, and others, cant understand why anyone would buy their equipmemt.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 11, 2022 5:48 am

tlholmes wrote:

That was a joke. :lol:
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Wed May 11, 2022 7:04 am

I could make those sticks “whistle” Dixie just thinking of LGBT or a Marxist group.....

There is no room in the hunting community for trash such as that.

Allow me to show my support towards them. Soon you should be seeing an order for (5) standard sticks.....
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Wed May 11, 2022 7:11 am

You'll be happy with the standard sticks. I'm about 6'1 and the spacing between the steps is perfect. I like that little bit of added height I get with them vs the mini sticks, and I pack them vertically so catching brush while walking is never a problem. I don't know how guys pack them horizontally, I've tried multiple times and they always seem to get snagged on me all the time when I'm walking through thick areas.
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Wed May 11, 2022 8:07 am

Hookslinger wrote:You'll be happy with the standard sticks. I'm about 6'1 and the spacing between the steps is perfect. I like that little bit of added height I get with them vs the mini sticks, and I pack them vertically so catching brush while walking is never a problem. I don't know how guys pack them horizontally, I've tried multiple times and they always seem to get snagged on me all the time when I'm walking through thick areas.

I’ve never tried the minis in a horizontal position. Vertically seems to work out well for me.

I put the first stick on then put the remaining four minis (if needed) through a rubber gear tie that I have looped through my harness belt (2 sticks on each side). The top step of the stick goes in easy through the gear tie. I simply take a stick out of the gear tie as needed.
I go slow and nothing clangs together. The stand is on my back with molle II shoulder straps.
I use daisy chain webbing that I keep in my side pocket, a little lighter than the cam buckles.
I use paracord attached to me as I leave the ground to pull my bow up. I make one trip up the tree.
This year I will be using a camera arm instead of a hat lid cam so I may have to make an additional trip. Not sure how that will play out.
Also I’m thinking I may experiment with a bow holder attached to the platform of the stand instead of the screw in bow arm I’ve been using. My quiver is permanently attached to my bow so using a bow holder attached to the platform will have to be on the right or in front center (RH bow and arrows will hit platform if on left). I like to stand a lot so I’m not sure how the holder on the platform will work out.
The less labor & movement I can perform at hunting height the better.
Feel free to make any suggestions, I’ve been doing it this way for a few years now but am open to make changes so please drop a comment if any of you see where improvements can be made.
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Tue May 17, 2022 10:32 am

What can you come home to that makes a long work day better.....

B009E000-B0C7-4AD3-9BF1-18C0E3323F04.jpeg

.....the wife & kids are very special also!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 17, 2022 9:00 pm

tlholmes wrote:What can you come home to that makes a long work day better.....

B009E000-B0C7-4AD3-9BF1-18C0E3323F04.jpeg

.....the wife & kids are very special also!

Nice! Thanks
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed May 18, 2022 1:22 am

tlholmes wrote:I’m using the 20” mini sticks with my set up right now & a movable aider. 0 complaints, 0 issues.

I’m in kind of the opposite situation. I have the 24” sticks and I’m considering the shorter ones because my son has been coming along with me more and he has a rough time with the longer sticks.

Wanna trade?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 am

Wlog wrote:

I’m in kind of the opposite situation. I have the 24” sticks and I’m considering the shorter ones because my son has been coming along with me more and he has a rough time with the longer sticks.

Wanna trade?

Oops guess I should’ve read all the way through.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”