Hot doe in October

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Hot doe in October

Unread postby Stingray713 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:20 am

For a few consecutive seasons I have seen a hot doe in late October bring a big old buck out of his core area safety zone and into some killable spots.

Different spots, different bucks, different doe groups, but each season the more I scout and hunt these bucks, I see them getting on a big old doe during the last week of October.

Peak rut around here is mid November, but maybe peak rut for the oldest buck around is whenever that first doe pops.

Anybody have any experience/tactics on trying to capitalize on this?

Strategically Inefficient
Buckharasser150

Re: Hot doe in October

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:53 am

I killed a mature buck last year on some private. I had seen him previous years. Once during last week of October, he was bedded waiting for does to come by. Two big does that looked in heat walked by and he chased them into a field. And the second time, he was in big field with does and I missed him at 250 yards resting off knee lol. That was mid November.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue May 10, 2022 3:23 am

You know the situation the best but in my exp w this, they go after the mature Does that are in their core area or at least very close by.

So id say hes closer than you think. Iv seen them pushing them as early as Oct 12 but both instances were older Does. One time I remember , she still had some small ones w her and she was grey looking.

Late Oct is consistent though, that is a great time
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue May 10, 2022 11:06 pm

<DK> wrote:You know the situation the best but in my exp w this, they go after the mature Does that are in their core area or at least very close by.

So id say hes closer than you think. Iv seen them pushing them as early as Oct 12 but both instances were older Does. One time I remember , she still had some small ones w her and she was grey looking.

Late Oct is consistent though, that is a great time

I've seen the same thing before on a couple of different instances. Once was on Oct. 6th and another was October 17th I believe. Both were the biggest, oldest does around. And the bucks that were after them were also the biggest, oldest bucks around. One was a big double split G2 12 pt, and the other was a giant 8 pt. If you can ever find a doe early on that comes into heat like that, the action was super intense. Both times the bucks were out in broad daylight and wouldn't leave the does side.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”