Stand direction

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tlholmes

Stand direction

Unread postby tlholmes » Fri May 06, 2022 4:23 pm

In this particular set up, I’m hunting with sticks & a hang on, not a climber or saddle. When you all find a trail you feel good about leading to bedding. Which direction do you prefer to place your stand in the tree (facing bedding - in the direction you expect deer or on the back side of the tree - maybe being hidden better & opposite of bedding)?

He’ll see you twice, hear you three times, but he's only gonna smell you once.....
mobymikeguide

Re: Stand direction

Unread postby mobymikeguide » Fri May 06, 2022 5:39 pm

I almost always face into the wind and set up for a strong side shot if I can. This past years buck I had to set up wind to back, but in that case I stood up and spun around the last hour of light.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Sat May 07, 2022 2:59 am

Well I am not very experienced, but I would ONLY put my stand facing directly away from deer or directly towards the deer. I do not want to be sticking out. I wanna look like a tree
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sat May 07, 2022 1:18 pm

In the shade to best of my ability. Nothing I hate more than the Sun beating on me when I have to move. If it’s cloudy out or if I’m really tucked in with good cover I face where I expect deer to come from and best downwind/thermal side of the closest trail.
Shoot Straight
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat May 07, 2022 3:14 pm

I try and climb the tree so that I am behind the tree and using it as a way to conceal my movement. But I always try and have my stand facing the bedding to make sure I can see any movement and be ready to take a shot.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 08, 2022 12:50 am

Towards the incoming deer preferably... In the evening setting up close to bedding I go up the back of the tree, using it as cover, and peeking around the tree to look torwards bedding and not get to high and see what the deer will see looking back. When I choose my spot in the tree I put the stand around the tree facing the deer and then slowly slide around the stand into the tree avoiding fast movements. When I hear approachment I try to slide to my feet, if I see approachment I wait till I have cover for the move. then I turn myself sideways and blend in with the tree trunk and use the upper bow limb to block my face. I wait till the 1st good shot is offered and if possible draw when a shot is presented so if the deer catches movement, hears a sound, or just hesitates too long Im not stuck at full draw. The exception would be heavy cover and a fast walking deer. The exception to having the stand on the fron of the tree is to have it on the back facing directly away. But I only do that if I have to based on an extreme lean of the tree... I dont like having a tree in front of me blocking my draw, getting in the way of moving the bow, and typically I have to cut all the branches all the way around the tree which takes away all my side cover and is illegal in a lot of spots I hunt...

Hunting off the side of a tree will get you busted really fast... Or leaning around the tree from the back. You have to become the tree... Now there will be plenty of people who say I have done it from behind or to the side and killed a deer... I have too... But over the years and getting busted by hundreds of deer Im always correcting my style and making the results better. I would much rather hunt in a set up that gets busted 1 out of 40 times, than one that gets busted 1 out of 4...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon May 09, 2022 1:31 am

Tree lean, cover and shootability dictate my stand orientation. It makes no difference to me in most cases there are arguments pros/cons for every angle…

Facing deer, can leave you exposed but gives you best opportunity to see the deer as early as possible, which is a huge advantage.

Facing away gives the tree as cover but you may have to pick a side of the tree to shoot around and may choose wrong, plus you can’t just sit down and face away from bedding most cases not optimal.

Setting up for strong side is good for shooting but can leave you exposed in some cases.

Like I said none of it really matters so long as you know the situation, know how/when to move to draw and pay attention.

Sometimes when deer can come from multiple direction I will put my back towards an area where I will without a doubt hear a deer approaching, like water/cattails and face the direction where I need my eyes to locate approaching deer…

But as coalcracker mentioned, shade is without a doubt my #1 factor 99% of the time when hunting in FL…
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Mon May 09, 2022 7:25 am

I normally climb up the opposite side of the tree as the bedding & hang my stand facing the bedding. A few times I have been picked off by a mature buck and older does. Sometimes I feel like I’m sticking out like a sore thumb. I believe it’s just phycological though because mature animals whether buck or doe just seem to know something is off 15 yards & closer.
My wind and thermals are good as I check them regularly unless I get a swirl from time to time. I also try to hunt trees that are at least the width of my shoulders with good cover and backdrop as well if that tree is in the correct location.
I’ve never tried the back side of the tree & wanted some opinions. I believe the consensus is to keep on as I’m doing and try to control as many variables as possible.
I appreciate all the input and valid points.

While we are on stand set up tactics.....I live & hunt western KY. Which I prefer bottoms & swampy terrain. We have an early opener which gives me a chance at a velvet buck. How do you all with similar areas deal with mosquitoes?
During turkey season I buy Permethrin from a local farm store and mix 1oz:15 oz of water. That works great for ticks and suppose to repel other pest including mosquitoes but it has a faint smell so I know deer can smell it. During deer season I use Sawyers brand Permethrin as it is advertised “odorless” on the can. It does ok but some of our bird size mosquitoes laugh at it. My thermacell works great & is also advertised odorless but I can smell it as well. I suppose it doesn’t matter as long as my wind and thermals are correct but something about introducing more scent then I have to doesn’t set right with me.
Maybe these defenses are my only options but wondered if anyone had other hacks.....
He’ll see you twice, hear you three times, but he's only gonna smell you once.....
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:47 am

tlholmes wrote:I normally climb up the opposite side of the tree as the bedding & hang my stand facing the bedding. A few times I have been picked off by a mature buck and older does. Sometimes I feel like I’m sticking out like a sore thumb. I believe it’s just phycological though because mature animals whether buck or doe just seem to know something is off 15 yards & closer.
My wind and thermals are good as I check them regularly unless I get a swirl from time to time. I also try to hunt trees that are at least the width of my shoulders with good cover and backdrop as well if that tree is in the correct location.
I’ve never tried the back side of the tree & wanted some opinions. I believe the consensus is to keep on as I’m doing and try to control as many variables as possible.

While we are on stand set up tactics.....I live & hunt western KY. Which I prefer bottoms & swampy terrain. We have an early opener which gives me a chance at a velvet buck. How do you all with similar areas deal with mosquitoes?
During turkey season I buy Permethrin from a local farm store and mix 1oz:15 oz of water. That works great for ticks and suppose to repel other pest including mosquitoes but it has a faint smell so I know deer can smell it. During deer season I use Sawyers brand Permethrin as it is advertised “odorless” on the can. It does ok but some of our bird size mosquitoes laugh at it. My thermacell works great & is also advertised odorless but I can smell it as well. I suppose it doesn’t matter as long as my wind and thermals are correct but something about introducing more scent then I have to doesn’t set right with me.
Maybe these defenses are my only options but wondered if anyone had other hacks.....

Deer will smell you no matter what. Play the wind. Don't waste money on "no scent" products. Believe me, I have tried the no scent stuff and deer smell me anyway. Deer have a nose that separates individual molecules. They are going to smell you if they get downwind or walk on your trail. Dan has a lot to say about it as well. I learned a lot from him...
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
tlholmes

Unread postby tlholmes » Mon May 09, 2022 11:00 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:
tlholmes wrote:I normally climb up the opposite side of the tree as the bedding & hang my stand facing the bedding. A few times I have been picked off by a mature buck and older does. Sometimes I feel like I’m sticking out like a sore thumb. I believe it’s just phycological though because mature animals whether buck or doe just seem to know something is off 15 yards & closer.

Deer will smell you no matter what. Play the wind. Don't waste money on "no scent" products. Believe me, I have tried the no scent stuff and deer smell me anyway. Deer have a nose that separates individual molecules. They are going to smell you if they get downwind or walk on your trail. Dan has a lot to say about it as well. I learned a lot from him...

Agreed! Dan def knows his stuff especially being covert and playing the wind/thermals. I’ve probably watched each dvd he has out a hand full of times. Each view I pick up another nugget I missed. Just ordered the new release but haven’t got a chance to watch. Half the time he or one of the beast guys lay something out & I can’t believe I haven’t thought of that when it’s right in front of you. The experience speaks for itself.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:06 am

tlholmes wrote:
Buckharasser150 wrote:

Agreed! Dan def knows his stuff especially being covert and playing the wind/thermals. I’ve probably watched each dvd he has out a hand full of times. Each view I pick up another nugget I missed. Just ordered the new release but haven’t got a chance to watch. Half the time he or one of the beast guys lay something out & I can’t believe I haven’t thought of that when it’s right in front of you. The experience speaks for itself.

Right! Yeah I like that he put big woods dvd on YouTube.
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Tue May 10, 2022 1:04 am

As others have stated, the deer will smell you no matter what. If you’re worried about odor from your permethrin use Martins brand permethrin. It’s water based whereas brands such as Sawyers and Gordons are petroleum based and definitely have a slight odor to them.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Tue May 10, 2022 4:20 am

AMEN "But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”