Trail cams

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

an-ok-hunter

Trail cams

Unread postby an-ok-hunter » Tue May 03, 2022 6:30 am

Sorry if this horse has long been dead but I'm gonna kick it as I did a search for this but there are ton of posts with this topic. How close is too close to put one by bedding? I have one spot in mind of putting one but the only real place to put it will place it closer than I like. This is public land and I always figured around 100 yards away and I would be ok. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

blackwidow
500 Club

Re: Trail cams

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue May 03, 2022 6:39 am

I think it would really be dependent on how often you plan on checking it. I wouldn't place one within 100 yards if I planned on checking it fairly regularly. By contrast, I'd put one smack dab in the middle of it if I planned on doing a season long soak with it. Several variables to consider when placing it close to beds.
an-ok-hunter

Unread postby an-ok-hunter » Tue May 03, 2022 6:43 am

blackwidow wrote:I think it would really be dependent on how often you plan on checking it. I wouldn't place one within 100 yards if I planned on checking it fairly regularly. By contrast, I'd put one smack dab in the middle of it if I planned on doing a season long soak with it. Several variables to consider when placing it close to beds.

It is a cell cam.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue May 03, 2022 6:47 am

an-ok-hunter wrote:
blackwidow wrote:I think it would really be dependent on how often you plan on checking it. I wouldn't place one within 100 yards if I planned on checking it fairly regularly. By contrast, I'd put one smack dab in the middle of it if I planned on doing a season long soak with it. Several variables to consider when placing it close to beds.

It is a cell cam.

Since that's the case I'd probably elevate it and put it smack dab in the middle of bedding. Take that with a grain of salt though, since I have little experience with cell cams. Not sure on battery life, signal, and such.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Wed May 04, 2022 9:13 am

For the sake of argument, how often is it safe to check a regular camera 200 yards from bedding? Monthly?
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed May 04, 2022 1:27 pm

MitchB wrote:

For the sake of argument, how often is it safe to check a regular camera 200 yards from bedding? Monthly?

I think it all depends on your access to the camera, pressure on the deer, and how they use the area the camera is in. If it worries you to check it that often, that should give you your answer.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed May 04, 2022 1:45 pm

I don't really use cameras, own one but rarely deploy, but I just think of them as one more thing to put pressure on deer. I understood that better hunters use them for inventory. After getting inventory, scouting is supposed to pin down potential bedding for your target(s). Then you go through the potential spots based on your scouting, pressure, wind, etc to figure out which to hunt first.

I'd rather just crawl around thick areas with a weapon and try to get as close to something as I can and try to shoot it, my hunting is intrusive enough so I don't really use them to add more pressure.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed May 04, 2022 11:00 pm

I look at hanging cameras and hunting a spot as similar activities. If it’s a cell cam I wouldn’t worry about my entry/exit as much, otherwise I’m going to be careful in that regard. I’m looking for every kind of sign deer lay down. Beds, scrapes, rubs, scat, browse lines,trails and tracks will tell me where to hang cameras just as they tell me where to hunt.

There’s always a best tree to hang that camera from. If you want to be efficient and get the info your looking for you have to find it.

It’s not about too close or far from the bedding area, it’s where can you get the best idea of which deer are using it. If there are multiple really good bedding areas bunched together then you might have to push the camera close. If there is one good bedding area then find the best food nearby.

Whether you are hunting or hanging a camera, hunt for the best tree!
Strategically Inefficient

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”