Bucks using interior cuts.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Bucks using interior cuts.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:29 am

I heard thp talking about this quite a bit but I haven't heard Dan talking alot about this.

Not sure if you guys have cuts like this up north.

Sometimes these staging areas the buck never reaches by dark. And if you try to go up the creek they are often thick with one main trail ,very few trees and rising thermal would bust you.

What do you guys do in these type of situations. Map is just random public near my house.

I wonder how Dan would handle scenarios like this that we often have in the south.

Do I have this right of how bucks are using these ?

Screenshot_20220420-161835_onX Hunt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Bucks using interior cuts.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:30 am

Example one.

You can't really get up in their with them and its several hundred yards to a staging area sometimes.

Screenshot_20220420-162207_Painter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:35 am

This one scenario 2 with the very long treeline in cut theirs no way a buck would reach staging by dark.

Screenshot_20220420-162008_onX Hunt.jpg
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:38 am

Blue stage where trails exit.
These are example maps but its the same situation I see alot in my areas.
But they never get from the beds to the blue in light.
Screenshot_20220420-163652_Painter.jpg
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:00 am

You could wait for a windy day and still hunt into the known beds. Even consider crawling when getting close.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:31 pm

Double Draw wrote:You could wait for a windy day and still hunt into the known beds. Even consider crawling when getting close.

It would be very difficult to still hunt into.
Most of these locations have one main trail usually along a creek. Some are thick with alot of vegetation others are full of blackberry vines or saplings. Walking on the one buck trail is almost a necessity.

It also being hill country thermal rise and pulls uphill when the sun is out.

If I waited until thermal drop thats the last 30 minutes of the day and I doubt I could even make it a few hundred yards in that 30 minute period of time.A rainy day or cloudy day may extend the time not sure but it would also get low light earlier due to cloud cover.

It's pretty complicated due to the short amount of time vrs the amount of distance due to thermals.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:31 pm

Lots of these in Virginia. That first one is tricky for sure, just small enough to only have only one smz but too big to get into without sweating and busting deer.

If there’s any pressure in the area I’d make a trek way ultra early one morning around to the back side whichever side that may be.

That high spot in the NE corner catches my eye too especially if there is still some semblance of a 2 track still there. Sometimes you can wiggle your way through those a bit quieter.

Early season in these is tough stuff. I have had pretty good luck the past few seasons in them but only in cuts that have grown up enough to have some canopy to create some clearings.
Strategically Inefficient
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:56 pm

In younger cuts, the creeks are the only way I can get in there. I try and get in there on days where the wind is going to blow directly downstream. So hopefully the wind and the water can push the rising thermals away from the buck. I find in spots where the terrain isn’t too steep, it usually works.

In this setup I’d be looking for any wind W to NW, but even SW could be ok if it was gonna blow pretty good.

Yellow=Bucks
Red=Entry and Setup
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:17 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:I heard thp talking about this quite a bit but I haven't heard Dan talking alot about this.

Not sure if you guys have cuts like this up north.

Sometimes these staging areas the buck never reaches by dark. And if you try to go up the creek they are often thick with one main trail ,very few trees and rising thermal would bust you.

What do you guys do in these type of situations. Map is just random public near my house.

I wonder how Dan would handle scenarios like this that we often have in the south.

Do I have this right of how bucks are using these ?

Screenshot_20220420-161835_onX Hunt.jpg

Can you hop in the creek and walk in the water? Usually if the loggers had to cut around it then it has enough water for a person to navigate it pretty quietly. All are different though, some have too many trees down across them to make it an easy walk.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:40 pm

actually, I find that type of bedding much easier than some of the other beddings in that terrain... Pretty easy to know where they are bedded and how they will travel. When they bed on the down wind side of a cut and watch the open area below it can be real tough to get with the shooting window. In the examples you posted there is a clear distinct area they bed, and a clear travel wrought. Just have to find a kink in the bucks security system. generally a certain wind will work, and a falling thermal may pull scent down hill and away... Its a detectives game, go in now, find the beds, and follow the trail out looking for the 1st set you can make undetected, out of smell, sight, and hearing, and be patient for the day you have the conditions you need in the time frame you believe he is bedding there...
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:27 am

I am struggling to understand the maps. Are those clearcuts? Are the little fingers of woods higher ground or lower ground? Why do they leave the little fingers?
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:47 am

Yep clear cuts. The loggers usually leave some trees along drainages for erosion control and a bunch of other reasons they have in their Best Management Practices books.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:49 am

oldrank wrote:I am struggling to understand the maps. Are those clearcuts? Are the little fingers of woods higher ground or lower ground? Why do they leave the little fingers?

So the little fingers of trees are low spots that usually have a small creek running through em
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:06 pm

Stingray713 wrote:
oldrank wrote:I am struggling to understand the maps. Are those clearcuts? Are the little fingers of woods higher ground or lower ground? Why do they leave the little fingers?

So the little fingers of trees are low spots that usually have a small creek running through em

Oh, ok. Got it...thanks.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:15 pm

Interesting terrain feature that I have either completely overlooked or maybe there are just not many in my area. I'll have to do some map work. Thanks for posting this.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”