Multiple crop fields

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Multiple crop fields

Unread postby Moose » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:00 am

I'm trying to break down a farm that has alfalfa hay fields, this year corn fields, neighbors will be been fields, mixed in with some oak trees in the draws and fingers. There are deer trails everywhere. With all the food choices, is there one food deer really prefer over another? I know they don't like yellow beans. In my mind they would be hard to pattern just like me at a buffet lol. Is there one crop I should really focus on over another?

oldrank

Re: Multiple crop fields

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:34 am

Beans first... after beans yellow they are still going to be looking for greens. I would assume they would move to the alfalfa next but im not sure on how its cold tolerance is. I know around here ive seen alfalfa brown on our gun opener which is November 15th. Corn gets super hot around here after everything green has died. That is usually mid November and continues to heat up during December. I've seen summer bachelor bucks go right from bean's to food plot turnips or clover as season opens. They are a hot draw. I've also seen herds of deer risk life n limb on public land corn fields in late late December.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:28 am

We don’t have beans in my parts. Just corn, Milo, and alfalfa. There’s about a 3 week window when alfalfa trumps all. Not sure how relevant it is to any other part of the country and our Milo fields get swarmed with dove hunters at the same time. But I’ve seen most of the deer in my county migrate to a hot alfalfa field.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:02 pm

Thanks guys! I have alot of scouting ahead of me to try to figure this farm out.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:20 am

Beans first but then the large oak trees on the edges of fields. Go in before the season opens, check for acorns on the ground and look for the buck tracks. Wait for the right winds and thats a great hunt
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:53 am

That alfalfa will be hot for a few days after it's been baled. Depending on how well the combine is set I've seen bean fields be hot a week after they have been cut due to the left over beans sprouting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”