Buck Bed Scrape

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Buck Bed Scrape

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:44 am

Tadmdad wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Got things Rockin' now, don't I? :mrgreen:

SB....wasn't that your intent. :mrgreen:

Helps pass the off season...before turkey hunting.

Those are excellent pics, Tadmdad- appreciate you putting them up. 8-)

Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Tadmdad wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:Got things Rockin' now, don't I? :mrgreen:

SB....wasn't that your intent. :mrgreen:

Helps pass the off season...before turkey hunting.

Those are excellent pics, Tadmdad- appreciate you putting them up. 8-)

SB, no problem,you made a good point in the OP.....but isn't that why were here is to share our observations....and ideas?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Tadmdad wrote:SB, no problem,you made a good point in the OP.....but isn't that why were here is to share our observations....and ideas?

absolutely- and I challenge anyone to find a better group to do that with. 8-)

The buck bed scrape is an interesting topic, and the value here is the observations posted regarding the different times of the season and the associated buck behavior near the bbs. Where they exist, they have additional value when the buck is actually in the related bed- the bbs is the scrape that has the most potential for daytime movement in most hunting scenarios.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:57 am

BUMP
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:50 am

You son of a guns. You all made this stuff when I was out in Idaho this past March. Dan thanks for bumping, good read.

There was a hint of this in there, but does anyone believe the old matriarchs go to the mature bucks, near the bbs, to get bred?
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:22 am

Uncle Lou wrote:You son of a guns. You all made this stuff when I was out in Idaho this past March. Dan thanks for bumping, good read.

There was a hint of this in there, but does anyone believe the old matriarchs go to the mature bucks, near the bbs, to get bred?

Seek and ye shall find. :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6152
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:59 am

Tadmad, you even know how to search the site? I gotta figure that out, no wonder I dont kill big bucks. You guys and all this techno stuff. Thanks for the link
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 am

Since I joined the site, I posed several questions. I have been spending most of the 101 degree day inside reading yalls past post on some different subjects....two things I wish
1) I would have found this site sooner
2) I wish I could live and hunt in some of the regions you guys call home!!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Im curious why the buck makes a scrape by his bed? Isnt he bedding in a remote area for solitude from the does? I recall Dan mentioned in one of his video's that does and small bucks arent really welcome near a bucks bed. So is he making this scrape out of agression and wanting to mark the area, or doe's he really expect to find does frequenting it?

SB, you mention being on 4.5yr old bucks in Michigan. Got any trail cam pics, or pics of the bucks like this you have taken? What are you using to determine the age of these bucks?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:28 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Im curious why the buck makes a scrape by his bed? Isnt he bedding in a remote area for solitude from the does? I recall Dan mentioned in one of his video's that does and small bucks arent really welcome near a bucks bed. So is he making this scrape out of agression and wanting to mark the area, or doe's he really expect to find does frequenting it?

SB, you mention being on 4.5yr old bucks in Michigan. Got any trail cam pics, or pics of the bucks like this you have taken? What are you using to determine the age of these bucks?

Ken,
Some of my largest bow bucks were taken over scrapes within staging areas very close to buck beds. I shot the "400 pound slob" buck over such a scrape just minutes after passing a very nice 10 point on the same scrape... I also shot an opening day 11 pointer that was an absolute pig on a scrape very close to his bed... That one also had lesser bucks using it... I could give more examples... It seems like bucks make these scrapes where staging areas intersect...
However, on more than one occasion I have seen lone does work these scrapes in rut and lie right next to them apparently waiting for the buck to return...
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Good stuff here guys, can't believe I missed this topic. Glad you bumped it Dan
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:40 am

My experience with scrapes goes against a lot of what you read about. I think of a scrape like a telephone pole in a large neighborhood that has lots of dogs. Every dog that walks by whos male is going to pee on that pole.

Was a very good set when I trapped was the post set and it worked when others wouldnt.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:43 am

Scrape in July of 2010

Scrape was located inside the doe bedding area

Little buck getn in on the action

This scrape was created with human urine. I shouldve let it alone. I decided to dump commercial scent in it during the season and it immediately shut down.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:07 am

kenn1320 wrote:Im curious why the buck makes a scrape by his bed? Isnt he bedding in a remote area for solitude from the does? I recall Dan mentioned in one of his video's that does and small bucks arent really welcome near a bucks bed. So is he making this scrape out of agression and wanting to mark the area, or doe's he really expect to find does frequenting it?

regarding the scrape by his bed / near staging, I also have seen this where multiple bucks are bedded in close proximity. on the other hand, i have seen it where a buck really likes to spend a lot of time by himself, it gave me the impression almost of a "no trespassing" sign... if nothing else, it sure informed the other deer that he had been there. i would also speculate that as the seasons / conditions change the purpose of the scrape may vary.

ken- no trailcam pics of those two bucks- I have had visuals of them while hunting and scouting, but I primarily based it on the sign left behind... tracks, droppings, rubs. it is very rare for bucks to make it to that age around here on public land, and we quickly become experts on what the sign left behind "normally" by yearlings through 3.5 year olds typcally appears to look like. Both of those bucks left sign that was "above and beyond" normal for a 3.5 year old, my sightings of them supported the sign.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 am

Besides the buck mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I also shot the "400 pound slob" buck over a scrape in early October near its bed, and withing minutes of passing on a 140's 10 pointer that worked the same scrape.
Article:
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1350

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”