Cutovers vs. swamps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PT1426

Cutovers vs. swamps

Unread postby PT1426 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:40 am

If a buck has both a cutover and a swamp within its home range that are equal in size and receive similar amounts of hunting pressure, do you believe they would show a preference in which one they chose to consistently bed in?

headgear
500 Club

Re: Cutovers vs. swamps

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:55 am

Kind of hard to say because sometime the details of the terrain and the even the individual buck can make some spots better than others. However if I am just speaking in general and the pressure is low then they will bed in the best location in the cutover that is relatively close to the big swamp for an easy escape route, not to mention the swamp should have a thermal pull too.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:37 am

headgear wrote:Kind of hard to say because sometime the details of the terrain and the even the individual buck can make some spots better than others. However if I am just speaking in general and the pressure is low then they will bed in the best location in the cutover that is relatively close to the big swamp for an easy escape route, not to mention the swamp should have a thermal pull too.

They will use both...they could be in one or the other on any given day. Usually it's based on safety and how the land lays out. Where I hunt I see bedding where it has a strategic layout that gives the bucks an advantage. If a hill is safe they will use it, if a clearcut is safe they will use it and if a swamp is safe they will use it. I do believe that as cruising picks up bucks get caught in different areas at sun up and I will see cruiser bucks or lock down bucks bed a bit more random.

When I say random that doesn't mean he is unkillable. He may be actually more vulnerable and predictable if you know where those off the wall little pockets are and can predict when they heat up.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:52 am

Probably be a buck in each
Strategically Inefficient
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:56 am

Agree with oldrank and headgear.

It may help to assess your odds given the available wind-based bedding. For example, which one sets up better for a west wind? Which one offers more of an advantage for the buck on an east wind? You may find that on a certain wind that one stands out over the other.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:01 am

oldrank wrote:They will use both...they could be in one or the other on any given day. Usually it's based on safety and how the land lays out. Where I hunt I see bedding where it has a strategic layout that gives the bucks an advantage. If a hill is safe they will use it, if a clearcut is safe they will use it and if a swamp is safe they will use it. I do believe that as cruising picks up bucks get caught in different areas at sun up and I will see cruiser bucks or lock down bucks bed a bit more random.

When I say random that doesn't mean he is unkillable. He may be actually more vulnerable and predictable if you know where those off the wall little pockets are and can predict when they heat up.

Completely agree, they will use both. I just loosely and generally see more consistent bedding just outside the swamps and on high ground than I do in the swamps with low pressure situations.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:45 pm

I don’t know what type of swamp and area you’re in.. how many acres approx could be helpful as well.

in the bigwoods we have a lot of swamps that beyond the edge of them you just aren’t going to find much. Like say a big tag alder, holly and or buckthorn swamp. Even some vast spruce bogs.I just don’t find a lot going on in these and rarely enough pressure to drive deer into them. They do utilize the edges if there’s food nearby. I would look at a cut over that type of terrain.

Now if the swamp has some conifers and pockets of dogwood, elderberry, humps where mature ash was wiped out and is in regeneration stage. I find tons of sign. And I’m all over that.

If it is higher deer density AG country then I think either would be good as the deer have to utilize just about every bit of cover the landscape has to offer. Depending on the size of the area very likely to find a shooter in each. Unless you’re talking a very small scale area.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:15 pm

headgear wrote:
oldrank wrote:They will use both...they could be in one or the other on any given day. Usually it's based on safety and how the land lays out. Where I hunt I see bedding where it has a strategic layout that gives the bucks an advantage. If a hill is safe they will use it, if a clearcut is safe they will use it and if a swamp is safe they will use it. I do believe that as cruising picks up bucks get caught in different areas at sun up and I will see cruiser bucks or lock down bucks bed a bit more random.

Completely agree, they will use both. I just loosely and generally see more consistent bedding just outside the swamps and on high ground than I do in the swamps with low pressure situations.

Sorry Headgear, I just noticed this. I meant to quote the OP. Must have clicked on your post accidentally... but I do agree in low pressure I see them on the outskirts and use much more hill bedding. For me around home that is pretty much preseason and post season. During season there is always pressure and they are bedding for safety and escape. If I do see hill bedding or clear cut / thicket bedding during season it is usually only the really good secluded stuff or it has a great escape setup and is monitoring human access.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”