Small improvements

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Small improvements

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:40 am

While turkey hunting i ran into several large shapes and rubs and my mind instantly moved to bucks. Heart pumping and mind wondering how big is he , why put that scrape here. i find myself already counting the days till deer season.

I seem to turkey hunt exactly like Mario lol.

Sitting here i really been thinking about my season last fall.

I really want to correct the little things.

One is backpack straps while I like them.
I notice they move underneath if I shift in stand.
Or my pack on side of tree in saddle.

These are two areas I think I need to make changes..
I may try to carryna beast stand with something I can quickly quietly remove before getting in the tree. And do away with backpack straps.

Hunting bucks I feel I'm always trying to be better and improve.

Anyone tried putting a sound recorder below tree and recording setting up.

What things are on you guys improvement list before fall.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Buckharasser150

Re: Small improvements

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:08 am

Scouting more and better.

I upgraded to beast setup.

My mental side of hunting/scouting.

Setting up/taking down tree stand, wanna get smoother and quieter and really take my time. Otherwise I tend to lose confidence, hard for me to practice for the situation because I lose patience practicing.

Be a better shot.

Work on attitude.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:08 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:Scouting more and better.

I upgraded to beast setup.

My mental side of hunting/scouting.

Setting up/taking down tree stand, wanna get smoother and quieter and really take my time. Otherwise I tend to lose confidence, hard for me to practice for the situation because I lose patience practicing.

Be a better shot.

Work on attitude.

Funny you mention be a better shot.
Because I shot over a very nice buck 150ish then under another nice buck in 140s last fall.

I definitely will be practicing from stand height and multiple angles.

Definitely agree with losing patience practicing.
If you know of some doe bedding near your house you can keep going and setting up near them to practice. It adds some realism to it.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:12 am

Man id puke if I missed big ones like that! At least you’re getting the opportunities
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:25 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:While turkey hunting i ran into several large shapes and rubs and my mind instantly moved to bucks. Heart pumping and mind wondering how big is he , why put that scrape here. i find myself already counting the days till deer season.

I may try to carryna beast stand with something I can quickly quietly remove before getting in the tree. And do away with backpack straps.

I'm just curious, what is the issue you are having with your pack on the tree when in your saddle?
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:29 pm

I've been tweaking my gear set up over the past couple years and finally have that down to where I can't find anything to work on as far as gear and how I set it up. Right now I am focusing on becoming a great shot at the archery range, so that I can start spending more time practicing functional shooting from every possible angle out of the tree by the time summer comes around. I'm also going to have one spot that I am running cameras for the first time ever, so that will likely be a learning curve. My goal always is to become a better woodsman, and learn to find, read, and interpret sign better.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:38 pm

Brad wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:While turkey hunting i ran into several large shapes and rubs and my mind instantly moved to bucks. Heart pumping and mind wondering how big is he , why put that scrape here. i find myself already counting the days till deer season.

I'm just curious, what is the issue you are having with your pack on the tree when in your saddle?

The excess straps hang down and blow in the wind.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:45 pm

Buckharasser150 wrote:Man id puke if I missed big ones like that! At least you’re getting the opportunities

Wasn't my best day gotta laugh it off and keep going. More then not the buck wins..
I was fortunete to get onto quite a few nice deer in early season kill or not i enjoy the encounter.

Eventually killed in November.

Took a few beast years to see the tactics working. It started to click in my 3rd year just takes time. You will get onto nice bucks keep at it, beast tactics do work.

I've yet to kill my main target buck in any of my 5 beast seasons.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:13 pm

Yeah this is my second year, no longer hunting family farm based off some things so now forced other peoples properties/public. Like you said things are really clicking
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:03 am

My focus will be on how to get lighter and faster...in and out. I need to be smarter on the wear I put on my body. Going to a bike for access. Winch system for deer retrieval and a cart that mounts to my bike.

I think I have hit a point where just man handling a deer by myself isn't an option. So my improvements are all going to be focused on finding the system I can use into my senior years to stay in the public land game.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:54 am

I don’t know if I would call it small improvements but I got some serious issues I gotta figure out. :lol: Due to a new job I gotta figure out how to make it happen with a fraction of the time. I don’t want to lower my goals. So I gotta tighten up a few things and be more proficient.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Micah

Unread postby Micah » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:39 am

Gear wise I am good to go. Got my beast stand/beast sticks last year which was a game changer.

My biggest thing is I’ve been fighting target panic. I shoot a lot and it started to become an issue before last hunting season. I was able to get my biggest buck ever last fall but the shot was bad and it resulted in a track that went multiple days. Turns out if you’re dealing with target panic it becomes amplified in the heat of the moment when putting the sights on your target buck. At one point in December i thought I might not be able to shoot a compound anymore. I couldn’t hold a pin on target and the bow would go off as soon as the sight touched the target. Could no longer hold steady. I thought I might have to switch to instinctive or give up bow hunting.

I watched a ton of videos on how to overcome that, drew up a plan and made a dedicated effort to be able to shoot again with confidence. Now practice routines are rounds of blind bale shooting, rounds of drawing and holding the sight on target without firing and pulling through the shots when firing. Accuracy has improved a ton since then and I finally got some confidence coming back. I’m not where I need to be but plan on keeping with it so I am good to go by next fall.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:50 am

Micah wrote:Gear wise I am good to go. Got my beast stand/beast sticks last year which was a game changer.

My biggest thing is I’ve been fighting target panic. I shoot a lot and it started to become an issue before last hunting season. I was able to get my biggest buck ever last fall but the shot was bad and it resulted in a track that went multiple days. Turns out if you’re dealing with target panic it becomes amplified in the heat of the moment when putting the sights on your target buck. At one point in December i thought I might not be able to shoot a compound anymore. I couldn’t hold a pin on target and the bow would go off as soon as the sight touched the target. Could no longer hold steady. I thought I might have to switch to instinctive or give up bow hunting.

I watched a ton of videos on how to overcome that, drew up a plan and made a dedicated effort to be able to shoot again with confidence. Now practice routines are rounds of blind bale shooting, rounds of drawing and holding the sight on target without firing and pulling through the shots when firing. Accuracy has improved a ton since then and I finally got some confidence coming back. I’m not where I need to be but plan on keeping with it so I am good to go by next fall.

Yeah I tend to focus so much on the level being well, level, that I tend not to hit right where I want it to. I gotta figure out how I can be more accurate.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:38 am

Only had one opportunity at a quality buck last year and missed. Might have a little bit of buck fever and target panic. Will be shooting a lot this off-season with a focus on following through the shot. Probably will try to get as my 3D shoots as possible. In Pennsylvania you might only get one or two opportunities all season. Got to make them count. Also more scouting.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:51 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:Only had one opportunity at a quality buck last year and missed. Might have a little bit of buck fever and target panic. Will be shooting a lot this off-season with a focus on following through the shot. Probably will try to get as my 3D shoots as possible. In Pennsylvania you might only get one or two opportunities all season. Got to make them count. Also more scouting.

I'm in the same boat.
I don't think mine was target panic I just was shooting down a steep hill. And misjudged distance used wrong pin.

I need desperately to practice steep angles.
Almost all the bucks I've shot or killed have came in below me. Tree height plus downhill slope really can effect arrow flight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”