talk me in... or out... of trail cameras

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad
500 Club

talk me in... or out... of trail cameras

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:46 am

So, I've completed 3 seasons hunting deer at this point. I have had what I would consider a pretty good amount of success for being so new, and every season has been better than the previous season, but I am always looking for ways to improve my odds of success. One way I am considering is the use of trail cameras. I have been tossing the idea around for the last couple years now, and I'm torn as to if it is worth the risks. I hunt pretty close to exclusively public land. Most of where I hunt it is against the rules to use cameras, but many people do it anyway. If I open the door to using cameras I plan to keep it to only using them in the spots that are allowed, but may consider throwing one up in an area that I believe is very remote and gets very little traffic. At this point I have never heard about hunters being able to target a specific buck without the use of cameras, which is something I would like to be able to do at some point.

Many of you are using trail cameras. I would like to know the reasons you use them, how you feel they have helped you, what you do with them to improve your odds of success, and if you were to mentor a less experienced hunter, what would you tell them to help them determine if they should use cameras. Help talk me into it... or out of it... but mostly into it...

Buckharasser150

Re: talk me in... or out... of trail cameras

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:53 am

Well I have not used trail cams on public yet... And I plan to this year in a different state. But I have hunted private most of my life, and have used trail cams. Trail cameras are so handy for being able to tell what time bucks are moving through what area, and different "peaks" during the season. Also gives you an idea of the caliber of bucks that year in that area. Only downside is battery and staying out of there. They are only good when near tolerable scent areas, waaayyyy back in and let sit entire season, or when going to hunt near the camera and check it then. But there are downsides as well. Bucks get really spooky when they see/smell the camera. I had one time where I put camera on edge of bedding and checked cam (during that SPRING) and big bodied buck rounded corner, seen cam, and bolted and never seen again. Just depends on the risk/reward.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:54 am

The 173 inch buck and the 100 inch 10 point buck I got this season were both on camera multiple times and were not disturbed whatsoever and couldn't care less about them. SO just depends like i said.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:08 am

I have used trail cams on public and private. Many pros and cons. This past year was the first time I didn’t place trail cams on “huntable” spots, I placed them near night time spots that I knew they would cruise by. The reason I did this was to just get an inventory of the bucks, I didn’t want the cameras in the “good stuff” to influence my decisions about where to hunt (to switch out cards, leave scent, etc). It worked this year as shot the biggest buck in the area and I knew about him because of the trail cam. If I didn’t know about him, I would have taken a buck the day prior, which was a good buck but not in the same class. And hopefully the buck I passed will be in the 160’s this year like the buck I shot. Will be a double win!

Of course, inventory can also be done with binos in the late summer if you have that option. I wish I had that option but I don’t (hunt two hours from where I live).

Cell cams are obviously changing the game for those that want to go that route. No scent left behind and no need to go to an area to switch out cards to see what’s moving through.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:22 am

I use them to tell me historical data that may repeat year after year. I set them up and let them soak. If you don't use them correctly though they can ruin your locations. They will tell you when your doe groups come in and that will repeat yearly.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:59 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I use them to tell me historical data that may repeat year after year. I set them up and let them soak. If you don't use them correctly though they can ruin your locations. They will tell you when your doe groups come in and that will repeat yearly.

I’ve used them on and off over the years.

I would let them soak as well. Rarely checked them.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:22 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I use them to tell me historical data that may repeat year after year. I set them up and let them soak. If you don't use them correctly though they can ruin your locations. They will tell you when your doe groups come in and that will repeat yearly.

what ways do you think they can be used that would ruin the locations?
In the area I'm probably going to run them first, I was thinking of setting them and letting them soak. Last year was my second season hunting this particular area of public land and Nov 3rd of this past season I took out the buck I believe was the king of the area (the one in my profile pic). I know there was at least one other decent bucks using the area after I got him, but I saw mostly all does, spikes, and forky's, other than the big dude that obviously won't be around next year (because he will be on my wall). I am hoping to get an idea of who is around next year. Part of me wants to use the cameras to help me for this coming season, but part of me realizes that if I leave them alone, hunt just a little and only check my cameras when already in there, I could get really valuable information for the following season... I feel like it's a decision to let them mostly soak and possibly reap the benefit in 2023, or try to benefit in 2022 and risk screwing it up... or I could use cell cams... I believe I know where the big guy was bedding 2 years in a row at least through the pre-rut and rut time frames. I am wondering if another dominant buck will move into that spot. I also know the areas the majority of doe groups are bedding, and I know that the doe and spike parade comes through in the mornings well after first light, as in an hour to 2 hours after first light, but I did have one encounter with what appeared to be a decent buck right at first light. I'm thinking about trying to get cameras in the areas they travel through to get to and from bedding, but keep the cameras away from the bedding itself. It's all pretty close to the bedding, but not right up in it. Any thoughts on this plan?
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:29 am

First I would recommend following state and site specific regulations.
Second, I would use caution at your point in the game. That meaning I would focus on honing your woodsman ship skills. It's really easy to get in a rut to were you rely on the camera Intel and not the boots on the ground fresh sign right in front of your face. I'm speaking from experience and what got me out of that rut was getting rid of my cams.
Now I just last year got back into them but they are solely used for historical data not in season data.
So if you are going to use them I would recommend using them for historical data and not so much in season gonna get me on a shooter tomorrow.
Thats just my recommendation.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:32 am

I don't use them but that's mostly because camera's don't align with my hunting goals on public land. I like the fact that I don't know what's in there, and when a slob pops up while on stand, it's the most exciting thing in the world. I personally wouldn't be able achieve that same level of excitement if I maintained and monitored the "stock" of bucks using trail cams. My main goals are to have fun, live for the day, and kill what gets the heart pumping.

Lastly, while trail cams are useful in knowing what kind of bucks are in a given area, you still have to do the work of how to hunt them which is the biggest part of hunting. I'm sure you know that. So, if the goal is to get a decent understanding of the quality of bucks in an area and build data points based on wind, moon, fronts, hunting pressure, etc., cameras can be very useful. Cameras can also be useful in validating information during your scouts.

In sum, sounds like you really want to know what the use of cameras are all about, and so you should buy a few and see how it goes. If you're a person who wants know what's in the woods, or validate your woodsmanship skills by putting a camera on a creek crossing, a trail leading back to bedding or a primary scrape area, build data points and learn how to predict deer movement, I say go for it. Really nothing to lose except for unresolved curiosity.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:58 am

I prefer you not to use em
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:19 am

G-Patt wrote:I don't use them but that's mostly because camera's don't align with my hunting goals on public land. I like the fact that I don't know what's in there, and when a slob pops up while on stand, it's the most exciting thing in the world. I personally wouldn't be able achieve that same level of excitement if I maintained and monitored the "stock" of bucks using trail cams. My main goals are to have fun, live for the day, and kill what gets the heart pumping.

This pretty much sums up my opinion these days as well. Haven't put a cam out since I moved to Montana. Cameras played no part in any of my top 5 bucks, so I probably won't be using them any time soon. With that said, I think they have their place, mostly inventory, and in skilled hands, they can fill in the puzzle pieces for killing a target buck.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:42 am

Brad wrote:

what ways do you think they can be used that would ruin the locations?
In the area I'm probably going to run them first, I was thinking of setting them and letting them soak. Last year was my second season hunting this particular area of public land and Nov 3rd of this past season I took out the buck I believe was the king of the area (the one in my profile pic). I know there was at least one other decent bucks using the area after I got him, but I saw mostly all does, spikes, and forky's, other than the big dude that obviously won't be around next year (because he will be on my wall). I am hoping to get an idea of who is around next year. Part of me wants to use the cameras to help me for this coming season, but part of me realizes that if I leave them alone, hunt just a little and only check my cameras when already in there, I could get really valuable information for the following season... I feel like it's a decision to let them mostly soak and possibly reap the benefit in 2023, or try to benefit in 2022 and risk screwing it up... or I could use cell cams... I believe I know where the big guy was bedding 2 years in a row at least through the pre-rut and rut time frames. I am wondering if another dominant buck will move into that spot. I also know the areas the majority of doe groups are bedding, and I know that the doe and spike parade comes through in the mornings well after first light, as in an hour to 2 hours after first light, but I did have one encounter with what appeared to be a decent buck right at first light. I'm thinking about trying to get cameras in the areas they travel through to get to and from bedding, but keep the cameras away from the bedding itself. It's all pretty close to the bedding, but not right up in it. Any thoughts on this plan?

It's better to let them soak and avoid leaving scent. I get mine in early and let them go till PA gun season. I feel if you use them to hunt a particular deer they don't help as much as getting dates, times, winds and try to duplicate that in future years with similar conditions. At least that's how it works for me. I tried that chasing pictures game and it never worked out for me.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:12 am

I use my cams to inventory different areas to find deer I want to hunt. This year I shot my biggest bow buck and biggest rifle buck neither of which were on any of my trail cameras. The previous 5 years since I bought cameras were a different story however.

Cameras have really helped me pattern when bucks in general use an area.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:20 am

Cameras help me identify what spots have a buck or bucks I may want to devote some time learning more about. I have more spots to hunt than I have days to hunt them. So putting up some cameras on good food sources in mid July and checking them a couple months later saves me time learning what spots I need to be at.

After I pick em up Mid September they go in my shop til January when I’ll put a few out to see when bucks are dropping.

I should put some out and let them soak all season, just haven’t made it there yet.
Strategically Inefficient
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:22 am

On private ground they are 100% a no-brainer you should be using them, especially if you want to go after the older age class. You have to know what’s around and it helps your ability to pass those tempting 2 & 3 year olds when you know there are better deer around.

Just started using them on public, so I’m not sure personally how valuable they can be, but again I have a feeling they can help with inventory at a minimum. For now I’m also going to place them on spots I think might be worth a hunt, but I’m not sure how, why or when. That means leaving them the entire season.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”