Long Flat Points/Benches

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

515Raven

Long Flat Points/Benches

Unread postby 515Raven » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:55 pm

Hi everyone. Is there any pattern of deer activity you typically see on points that extend out significantly more level than any other elevation band around them? Is there a benefit or disadvantage that would influence deer activity on these features? I figure wind direction, vegetation, food, does, etc. will also factor into this, but I just wanted to hear some observations. Picture for reference. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Long Flat Points/Benches

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:41 am

I find that the longer points like this offer more scrapes/licking branches. I would bet if you check out the beech trees near those blue dots I marked you'd find broken licking branches that are used year after year. Also, I know you say your map is just for reference but I'd bet there is a nice buck trail on that red line near that elevation. Here in PA, the mountain laurel grows on those West facing slopes... so not sure where you are but there's a lot to like about those two points you have there.

A8915F63-845F-46CC-8DAC-55B7345625CE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:45 am

Those kind of points are where I'm looking if I want to find likely bedding areas. The most important thing for me is to focus on the ones that are on the leeward side of the prevailing winds. Then after that they need a sufficient amount of cover and visual advantage for a deer to want to be there. It's even better if they are set up to monitor access with an easy escape route if there is any regular pressure on them.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:52 am

Nice topic, this is exactly what I look for on an areal map when e scouting a new section. Good luck!
515Raven

Unread postby 515Raven » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:15 am

I’m not too far off from you (Virginia). There is in fact a ton of mountain laurel all over this WMA. I have seen the scrapes you mentioned on a similarly oriented point in the same area. This is a new area for me to hunt this year so I can’t speak to pressure just yet, but for how mountainous and vast the area is, there is no shortage of sign. I’ve found beds of all sizes, rubs, scrapes, plenty of food, and so far just one shed. The difficult part is isolating the best/most current and true to what next season will show.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:11 am

515Raven wrote:I’m not too far off from you (Virginia). There is in fact a ton of mountain laurel all over this WMA. I have seen the scrapes you mentioned on a similarly oriented point in the same area. This is a new area for me to hunt this year so I can’t speak to pressure just yet, but for how mountainous and vast the area is, there is no shortage of sign. I’ve found beds of all sizes, rubs, scrapes, plenty of food, and so far just one shed. The difficult part is isolating the best/most current and true to what next season will show.

I know what you mean when you say the difficult part is isolating the best areas. When you do all that scouting it can get real monotonous up in the mountains. So maybe throw some cameras on those trails like I marked in red or on the scrapes. If you can find half dozen good areas like that and get cameras on those trails/scrapes you can see which areas are holding the nicer bucks this summer. That would help you to isolate the best areas for next season.

Once in a while you walk up on a "WOW" bed and you just know a slob lives there but most times is just one buck bed after another and you need to smartly place a camera in the area to tell you what's what. Those scrapes and side trails in between points are safe areas to walk in/out to check a camera. Obviously avoid walking near the bedding elevation around the edge of the point.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
515Raven

Unread postby 515Raven » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:04 pm

Nice photo. I haven’t dove into the trail camera game yet and honestly a little hesitant, but I see the utility. Some of these beds up here I have no idea how a human can access without blowing everything up along the way.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:04 am

Dan always points out that you have to determine what the best bedding point will be and you have to be willing in some scenarios to sacrifice a specific bedding area in order to hunt another. He does mention that sometimes sneaking in can hurt your hunt due to getting on top of deer too closely and seriously spooking them. He believes if you walk in at a normal pace these deer have a chance to hear you coming and are not nearly as spooked. Makes perfect sense to me.
515Raven

Unread postby 515Raven » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:54 pm

Any path I travel to get to some of the upper third big boys will definitely include traveling past mountain laurel thickets or smaller points where I know and have seen numerous bedding. Literally every patch of mountain laurel here has some doe bedding in it, and some of them have occasional small rubs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”