What are landowners doing for habitat work right now?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

What are landowners doing for habitat work right now?

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:06 am

I got out today and took advantage of the nice weather here in Michigan. Did a little amateur habitat work around the home property. I transplanted some stag horn sumac to fill in some gaps on my borders. I transplanted about 20 miscanthus rhizomes. I'm trying to turn my yard into a deer crossing. Deer are currently crossing the road more to the south on my neighbors. I don't want to mow the lawn there anymore. Gonna see if the miscanthus takes and make a little grassy screening thicket for them to use. I also frost seeded some clover into my plots. It felt good to get out.

Found a shed of my neighborhood buck. It was a good day. Alot more work to get done in the next couple months.

Robert

Re: What are landowners doing for habitat work right now?

Unread postby Robert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:53 am

Hinge cutting, setting mock scrapes up, frost seeding switchgrass and clover. Preparing new stands for up coming season if needed. Shed hunting, and always scouting.
Johnsona06

Unread postby Johnsona06 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:19 pm

My wife and I just burned a strip of ditch along our property line that we're going to plant some screening in to help access. Otherwise been cutting and spraying buckthorn all winter in areas I want to clear or hinge some tree's.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:26 pm

I trimmed some access trails this month after I shed hunted it. Might not be back on my property till next October to make it a sanctuary most of the year. Sometimes the best thing to do is do nothing. I planted over 2000 trees 6-8 years ago. It’s all bedding habitat that gets thicker every year. I quit doing food plots on it about 3 years ago I’m in an ag area and my neighbors have the food they can feed on at night.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:28 pm

I bought 20 of these last night. They are going to screen off my southern neighbors house.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:23 am

I don't have a large property 1 1/2 acres but have regular deer activity. Some persimmon trees are young and I cleared nearby trees to give sunlight to them.
Apple trees are going in. Hazelnut and chokeberry come in this week.
The plan is to either feed us or them.
And I want to take this chance to suggest adding NATIVE PLANTS as much as possible. We are paying the price now for well intended plantings of invasive, non native trouble plants.
What is ironic for me is that the deer I shot this year was feeding on an Autumn olive bush. Also they eat a lot of Japanese honeysuckle Vine that is going to be removed.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:30 am

A month or so ago planted raspberry and transplanted blueberry’s.
Fertilized the pear trees.
Gonna get some clay peas, millet, sorghum, and sunflowers in
Just rebuilt the feeder and will start running that 1x day in a couple weeks.
We’ll put the food plot in…sometime.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:33 am

A lot, late winter/early spring (march around here) is the best time for home (farm) improvements. I’ve frost seeded clover, basal sprayed triclopyr/diesel on invasivers, hack and squirt junk trees for TSI, cleared an area for fruit/nut trees, and planted/caged/matted some benchgrafted apple trees.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:31 pm

So far I’ve cut up all the downed trees on logging roads, I then trimmed all the logging roads. Trimmed over hanging branches to one of my food plot areas cause it was impeding growth . Pruned my apple orchard and miscellaneous trimming and cutting down some dead trees. Next up food plots in a while . All the stuff in the woods is done.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:55 am

Just ordered 10 white spruce, 10 norways... 3 footers.

2 dolgo crabs 8 footers

2 Whitney crabs 7 footers

1 honeygold n 1 jonagold 8 footers

The plan to screen the neighbors continues. I canceled my order on the purple leaf plum after reading scary reviews on the supplier. Above trees are from a local supplier..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”