Fixed or mechanical broadheads ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What do you prefer, fixed or mechanical broadheads ?

Fixed
77%
Mechanical
23%

Total votes: 39
spiker2930

Re: Fixed or mechanical broadheads ?

Unread postby spiker2930 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:23 pm

I have been using Hellrazors the last couple of years and they have done a mavelous job on any deer I've shot with them.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Muzzy 3 Blade fixed head. Only head I will ever use anymore. Pretty much used them my whole life except when I experimented with NAP Spitfire's for a few seasons. That was a mistake since I had a few failures and lost 3 deer. Never had a failure with Muzzy's and never lost a deer them. Toughest head on the market if you ask me.
Remember the old Dan Fitzgerald videos when he shot Muzzy's through a steel 55 gallon barrel and the head held up perfectly? I tried the same thing myself with the same results. That sold me right there.
Let's see somebody try that with a mechanical head!!
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:11 am

Vortex mechanical for me and they haven't given me a problem for years. 2-1/2" cut on the 100 grain and have gotten pass thrus on all my deer but 1 that I shot down on. Broadhead went through just the complete arrow never made it all the way through. Farthest shot was 42 yards and busted 2 ribs and passed through. Like mentioned if your arrow and bow are tuned and the mechanical isn't used for cover up of poor tuning you'll have no problems.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:47 am

Muzzy 3 blade for this guy, I did experiment with the Rage 2 blade on some does and it worked great until the blades didn't open one time. I still got the deer because she was double lunged but that was enough to freak me out and go back to fixed blades.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:27 am

1 3/4" Grim Reapers for me. I'll take a huge cutting volume over a 1" or 1 1/8" cut any day.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:28 am

I have been using the Muzzy MX3's for the last couple years years and having great results, if you want the penetration that a fixed head gives you but you also want a slightly bigger hole, give this head a try. it is slightly shorter than a regular muzzy with a 1 1/4" cut diameter and thicker blades...they are a good price and come with practice blades to encourage practicing with your broadheads. With todays bow technology there is no reason why fixed blades can't fly like field points out to 50 yards
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 am

I shoot rage broadheads right now and have killed several deer with them with no problems myself, I used to shoot grim reapers as well. Now I want to switch to muzzy broadheads due to hearing a story from my friend wounding one with rage that was 160 inch 10 pointer hit shoulder blade it started off good blood but just ran out. I want to try those MX3 from muzzy like raised by wolves was talking about.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 am

spiker2930 wrote:I have been using Hellrazors the last couple of years and they have done a mavelous job on any deer I've shot with them.

I killed all my deer last year with Hellrazors.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:34 am

Lost a deer this year because of mechanical Rage and will never go back...i shoot muzzy now :D :D
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:19 am

Silver Flame 2-blade Broadheads here. Wicked Strong, Wicked sharp and they stay that way. http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Silver- ... 57C15.aspx
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 pm

I shoot 3 blade 100gr Thunderheads. I tried mechanical for part of one year but didn't get good penetration so I switched back to the Thunderheads. I will probably always use them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”