What sounds cause deer to spook? Watch this

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

What sounds cause deer to spook? Watch this

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:43 am

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Buckharasser150

Re: What sounds cause deer to spook? Watch this

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:12 am

Interesting! Makes complete sense.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:33 am

Wow!
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:28 am

Thx for posting :idea:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:26 pm

That's pretty cool!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:46 am

Maybe deer just don’t like hearing about sports
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:24 am

so, what it really comes down to is, anything that a deer does not hear in the woods regularly that is non-threatening, they think of as threatening. I wouldn't say this is a surprise at all. I would be very interested in what the response is to sounds like metal clanging together, climbing sticks scraping down a tree when setting them, a squeak of a stand or platform, a human cough, sneeze, clearing throat, and other sounds that may accidentally happen, but would not be as obviously threatening as an SEC football press conference or a predator howling. I would also set the speaker to play the sounds about 50 yards away so just the proximety of the sounds weren't as immediately threatening.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:51 am

Brad wrote:so, what it really comes down to is, anything that a deer does not hear in the woods regularly that is non-threatening, they think of as threatening. I wouldn't say this is a surprise at all. I would be very interested in what the response is to sounds like metal clanging together, climbing sticks scraping down a tree when setting them, a squeak of a stand or platform, a human cough, sneeze, clearing throat, and other sounds that may accidentally happen, but would not be as obviously threatening as an SEC football press conference or a predator howling. I would also set the speaker to play the sounds about 50 yards away so just the proximety of the sounds weren't as immediately threatening.

Good points and I was curious about what other sounds had an impact as well. Not sure if they did that or if it just wasn’t presented in the video.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:01 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Brad wrote:so, what it really comes down to is, anything that a deer does not hear in the woods regularly that is non-threatening, they think of as threatening. I wouldn't say this is a surprise at all. I would be very interested in what the response is to sounds like metal clanging together, climbing sticks scraping down a tree when setting them, a squeak of a stand or platform, a human cough, sneeze, clearing throat, and other sounds that may accidentally happen, but would not be as obviously threatening as an SEC football press conference or a predator howling. I would also set the speaker to play the sounds about 50 yards away so just the proximety of the sounds weren't as immediately threatening.

Good points and I was curious about what other sounds had an impact as well. Not sure if they did that or if it just wasn’t presented in the video.

Sounds to me like the study was just differentiating different predator sounds, but it's not an accurate representation of the sounds hunters may potentially produce. Like many "scientific" experiments, the outcome seemed to be obvious before the experiment even happened because of the way it was set up. Or maybe I'm just critical of research due to my background and training in science and medical fields.
Benb

Unread postby Benb » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:35 pm

Trees that make animal sounds are what spook deer. His timetables aren't exactly correct... Millions of years he says for the wolf sound....yeah I disagree with that. Also, God said that the fear of you will be on all the animals and well... He wasn't lying

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”