Honest opinion...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Honest opinion...

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:48 am

I got up early this morning and made myself some breakfast while Carol slept. We turned off the Liberal TV so all we have now is youtube so I searched for a brown bear hunting show to entertain my meal. I did not find any I had not already seen so I ended up clicking on a deer show with a very popular hunter. I generally don't like deer hunting shows probably cause I argue out loud about them doing it wrong... LOL... But I settled, mainly because this particular hunter does a lot of moose and bear hunts that I do like... Anywho, not long into the hunt I notice they are hunting deer out of a pop up blind in Saskatchewan and have a trail cam with a bunch of pictures of big bucks over and over day after day in front of the blind. And there is no talk about why they chose this particularly random spot in the woods. I was already getting suspicious when a big buck showed up and is licking his nose constantly (which means he smells you) and he is circling in and out and trying to come in but is Leary of the tent... Obviously this is a baited spot. At least obvious to me.

So... This brings up the question. Do you think they should hide the bait, as they did, to make it look like a natural hunt? or show the bait if thats the way they are going to hunt?

In today's world I guess his paycheck depends on doing things that don't cause controversy, but in my opinion not showing it, even if your not lying is kind of misleading people into believing bucks walk into random spots like that and you suck if your not killing them easy like us... It also makes me wonder what else they dont show. But, to be fair, I will edit out some extra shots, or saying something I regret saying cause it could give someone a bad impression or get me demonized by youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0eRWnNd6Pk

BRoth82
500 Club

Re: Honest opinion...

Unread postby BRoth82 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:24 am

I feel as long as everything they are doing is legal why not show it. Now the real question is how do you produce a show that accurately portrays the hunt without it being so long that people are not going to watch it.

I really like your videos for this reason, you show the why and have the right amount of "B" roll and then the after the shot information.

I saw one of the big name western hunting shows kicked out a video something like 15 bulls in 15 mins, when they only showed the kill shot on 15 elk. I guess if that's all you like to see then great, but why not do a 15 reasons we hunted this spot in 15 mins.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:40 am

I like to see everything. I like to know why that spot, weather, time of year, terrain, anything and everything so if I'm ever in that same position I can learn. If he baits then I want to see that so I know how to use it to my advantage if it's legal where I am, which it's not but at least I know not to use that tactic then. The more information the better.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:46 am

I want to see an honest representation of the hunt, whatever that is. Most serious hunters like yourself see through the bs when things don't add up but less experienced hunters won't pick it up and are mislead.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:53 am

Gotta produce videos of kills in order to get paid. That's all.

Dan - you have to remember that you are more of a teacher. Most of the guys in the industry are there to sell stuff, kill critters, and get clicks.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:54 am

Most of the deer hunts in Canada that I’ve seen on TV we’re over bait. Sometimes you can see it and sometimes you can’t. What I don’t understand is why no one ever hides the fact that they are shooting black bears over bait but they hide it for deer? All out Anti hunters don’t care whether hunters use bait or not, they hate us regardless. Non hunters who are somewhat excepting of hunting, but think it’s unfair to use bait or hunters who turn off tv shows if there is obvious baiting is who they are trying to appease I guess.

As far as this show not being upfront about the bait, in my opinion the guy it hurts is the new Hunter or the hunters who just like to get out and hunt a little but don’t take it so serious that they study deer and learn in depth tactics. Those hunters will watch this, go out and buy blinds, stands, clothing, bow, gun, cameras and waist time sitting there hoping a big buck walks by. If a hunting show isn’t talking about tactics or deer behavior or anything of that sort they are doing a disservice to their viewers.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:31 am

Mainstream hunting shows to me are the same as mainstream car building shows. 99% of the show is pushing a product 1% might possibly show you something.

I've been hunting and wrenching on stuff will motors for over 25 years and there's more that I don't know than what I do. I would rather pick up a trick or technique than hear about a product or how great you are. Just like the car shows most of the hunting shows, the guy in the camera didn't do they work, I'd argue they probably aren't capable of it. I think that's why the birth of self filming hunting/ car/ home improvement has taken off so well. People that are really into it want something real. Just average guys/gals that know what they're doing impresses me.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:49 am

Everything should be shown as to why and how this particular location is hunted using a ground blind. If it is legal to bait so be it. But if these owners and their shows have any reason to believe we won’t get the viewers due to using a baiting tactic, then they all should take a step back and ask themselves what are we really here for? Is it the money to line our pockets or is it because we are here to teach the next generation about hunting skills and the passion of this sport. I honestly believe they all have a price and this is far more important to them than what they try to portray in their hunting shows. Let’s just say I think there is a lot of smoke and mirrors as to the real reason…MONEY!
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:50 am

dan wrote:....So... This brings up the question. Do you think they should hide the bait, as they did, to make it look like a natural hunt? or show the bait if thats the way they are going to hunt?

I think they should not hide the bait. To do so would show a lack of respect for the people that do not hunt with bait, and the audience of the video.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:51 am

Some people just want to watch "shows" like entertainment. A formulaic story and filming that ends in a kill. What is really unique out there in the hunting world?

I think Dan's shows (and several others) actually try to teach people rather than just entertain them. Give me teaching videos every time.

But some people just like the entertainment spectacle, the experience of the moment and the production quality rather than learning, or in this case, even realism?

Nothing particularly wrong with that, but different strokes for different folks.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:56 am

I think they should show or at least talk about the bait. Those types of shows generally get maybe one watch from me before I look for better content.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:35 am

I wish there were more hunt breakdowns where they detail why they are where they are, and why the believe the buck came in.

For that situation, I would much prefer them to just say why the buck was actually there.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:45 pm

Don’t hate the player, hate the game
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:25 pm

Follow the money
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:44 am

To answer the answer quickly, I think they should show the bait and at least mention it. Then they would be showing the whole picture for the hunter who is trying to learn because if someone is trying to duplicate the same situation and doesn't know that the buck is heading to bait, they are really missing a big reason if not the only reason why that buck is there. I also get that it's a slippery slope of controversy that just causes problems. For celebrity hunters it's their livelihood and need to be careful on how they present their hunts.

But I do find it's a bit interesting how a bait pile or bait station is looked at differently than a food plot so many people. In my mind they are both unnatural and put there for the same reason. No matter if it takes a season to grow or if it's simply just dropped off there. Sure a food plot could be argued as more work but overall it's the same tactic in my mind.

I'll also mention that if I notice a bait station in a video and the hunter claims the buck is there because of other reasons such as a "mock scrape" or anything else to really be deceiving. One hunt that always comes to mind is one where the guy is promoting deer scents and bragging how much they work on mature deer when in the background you can see all this feed set out for the deer. In the video the buck heads in the direction of where the scrape is but is really just looking at the bait the whole time. The guy shoots the buck and then brags how well his mock scrape is and how well those scents work. That's the kind of stuff that gets me worked up cuz it's simply lying.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”