10 top tips 4 trail cams

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: 10 top tips 4 trail cams

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:59 pm

This was a great video!
Trail

Unread postby Trail » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:57 pm

Great video as always
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:46 pm

My buddy was asking why i carry 2 cameras in my scouting bag,,,,,,, well #5 of coarse. Too many times I walked past a spot I should have hung a camera but didn't cause I only had one with me & thought I might see something better. Also, make sure you know how far back into a spot you are when you hang it! I hung a camera in Nebraska on a great crossing through a cut, only to find out i had about a mile and a half of pure between me and the road. That camera is still hanging there!!! #8 double check, I am with Josh and sometimes triple check them!! I think #10 is what a lot of people dont get, they will stay home cause "they are not getting anything on camera". I like this video a lot, simple, fun and on point!!
WisBowhunter

Unread postby WisBowhunter » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:18 pm

Good points on this video. I especially like the one about leaving them out. Nice to have post season inventory about which bucks may have survived season.
Shoot straight, Kill Clean, and apologize to no one.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:58 am

I need to get better at leaving them out and putting cell cams in spots that would be intrusive to check. I learned some of those tips the hard way ie alkalines vs lithium.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:05 am

WisBowhunter wrote:Good points on this video. I especially like the one about leaving them out. Nice to have post season inventory about which bucks may have survived season.

I have been chicken to leave mine out over gun season. I have several that are getting to be 4-5 years old, maybe I will try and leave them out this fall over gun season'!!
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:56 pm

I like it. First I need to go buy a couple cameras. I've never used one before, but there is one small piece of public, where I happened to kill a stud buck on 11/3/21, that does not have a rule against use of cameras. I have seen a ton of spikes and forky's around, but now that I have removed the big guy from his domain I am expecting some other bucks to stick around as they get bigger.

what are the cheapest cameras you guys would highly recommend? I have heard some people say the cheap walmart Tasco's are actually pretty good, but have heard a few say they are garbage... but I like that they are cheap, since I'm not in a position to spend a bunch of cash right now, and there is definitely a risk of them getting stolen. Anyone have any insight that may help me decide on what cameras to try?
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:49 pm

Brad wrote:I like it. First I need to go buy a couple cameras. I've never used one before, but there is one small piece of public, where I happened to kill a stud buck on 11/3/21, that does not have a rule against use of cameras. I have seen a ton of spikes and forky's around, but now that I have removed the big guy from his domain I am expecting some other bucks to stick around as they get bigger.

what are the cheapest cameras you guys would highly recommend? I have heard some people say the cheap walmart Tasco's are actually pretty good, but have heard a few say they are garbage... but I like that they are cheap, since I'm not in a position to spend a bunch of cash right now, and there is definitely a risk of them getting stolen. Anyone have any insight that may help me decide on what cameras to try?

I ran the tascos all 2021 and never had a problem. I would recommend them. They do good enough to let you know there's a good buck in the area. If money is tight or your worried they may get stolen, tascos are an excellent choice.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:01 am

Make sure trail cams are legal where you hunt. Crazy but true.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:14 am

I will 2nd the cheap Tascos. I’ve had some last 1 year and had some last 4-5 years. They get the job done.
Wildgame has a camera in the $40 range that is really good too. Can’t remember the model but Walmart has them.
Both are very easy to set up with limited options to screw them up lol. The biggest thing with the cheap ones is following the recommendation on the camera card to use.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:47 am

Great video.
I try to point my cameras north to avoid sunlight washing out the picture, reducing pictures of shadows, etc.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:49 pm

sloughdog wrote:I will 2nd the cheap Tascos. I’ve had some last 1 year and had some last 4-5 years. They get the job done.
Wildgame has a camera in the $40 range that is really good too. Can’t remember the model but Walmart has them.
Both are very easy to set up with limited options to screw them up lol. The biggest thing with the cheap ones is following the recommendation on the camera card to use.

Can you attach a link or a picture of the Tasso you’re referring to?
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:15 pm

Elite wrote:
sloughdog wrote:I will 2nd the cheap Tascos. I’ve had some last 1 year and had some last 4-5 years. They get the job done.

Can you attach a link or a picture of the Tasso you’re referring to?

The good cheap Tasco's are all gone. They were the 8mp, I see they have a 12mp now that looks similar, but I have no idea if it performs like the old 8's did.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:36 pm

Not to hijack thread, but the newer cheap Tasco's Walmarts have for $28 do a nice job. The best part of the new ones is you can format card with camera. The older models you had to edit a file with date/time in order to have the correct date/time which is a pain if your just swapping cards like I do.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”