Dead Heads in bedding areas

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dpoole90

Dead Heads in bedding areas

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:48 am

A few days ago I was out doing some post season scouting on a ridge that is pretty tough to access from public parking due to steep cuts and Russian olive thickets. Once I reached the top of the ridge I started scouting all the points breaking off the main ridge, I started getting discouraged from not seeing the buck sign I was wanting, very low few rubs and only 2 small scrapes. Then I walked out on a small point and right on the tip I find a dead mature buck and next to him is an obvious bed. I take in all the surroundings and quickly figured out how tough the spot would be to hunt, I find a couple trees that could work then move down the ridge, I get to the end of the main ridge and find another mature dead buck practically in a bed and again I take it all in. Both bucks had not been dead all that long... maybe a couple weeks at most. I continue to scout to find rubs and scrapes to confirm the bucks are there during early season or rut but find none. My gut tells me the bucks head to this ridge post gun season aka late season.
What do you guys think?
Also I found balloons near the first bucks bed.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Dead Heads in bedding areas

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:52 am

Definitely a good spot
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:47 am

Great post, I’d like some pics of the dead heads and the beds!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:59 am

So you’re saying it makes a lot of sense on the map and in person, but there’s not a ton of sign left behind…

:think: :think:

Sounds like an awesome spot.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:18 am

2 dead mature bucks along the same ridgeline on public in january? wow. I would say that would be a first for me in my 30+ years of hunting.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:50 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Great post, I’d like some pics of the dead heads and the beds!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:54 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Great post, I’d like some pics of the dead heads and the beds!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:56 am

Dpoole90 wrote:

I failed to take picks of the beds, but will when I go back.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 pm

Lockdown wrote:So you’re saying it makes a lot of sense on the map and in person, but there’s not a ton of sign left behind…

:think: :think:

Sounds like an awesome spot.

Yeah so I just kinda assumed it was getting pressure from guys hunting the private crossing over into the public, it really didn't have any human sign either other than a ladderstand that looked like it had been there for a decade.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:00 pm

Wow, those pics help! Incredible find! You think they were shot with archery gear on the private land then died near Or in their beds on the public?

When you find unrecovered dead heads near or in bedding, I’d have to guess that all the other hunters in the area didn’t know about the bedding area on that ridge. I’d also have to guess that this spot was the Safest spot the bucks had.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:27 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Wow, those pics help! Incredible find! You think they were shot with archery gear on the private land then died near Or in their beds on the public?

When you find unrecovered dead heads near or in bedding, I’d have to guess that all the other hunters in the area didn’t know about the bedding area on that ridge. I’d also have to guess that this spot was the Safest spot the bucks had.

I would think so but who really knows. With the rib bones being still intacked tells me they haven't been dead long. Predator #s are pretty high in this unit. I had a coyote come in while I was taking pics of the first one.
I would have to agree, even though it's illegal to take them someone would have definitely taken them.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:34 pm

Dpoole90 wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:Wow, those pics help! Incredible find! You think they were shot with archery gear on the private land then died near Or in their beds on the public?

I would think so but who really knows. With the rib bones being still intacked tells me they haven't been dead long. Predator #s are pretty high in this unit. I had a coyote come in while I was taking pics of the first one.
I would have to agree, even though it's illegal to take them someone would have definitely taken them.

Wait you couldn’t take the dead heads home with you?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:35 pm

:shock:

Great find.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:57 pm

I have found dead heads before and was impressed with the location. Security and lack of pressure go hand in hand.
Even if you come across an old shed, that shows your in a place most people don't go. Almost everyone would pick up a shed.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:08 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Dpoole90 wrote:

Wait you couldn’t take the dead heads home with you?

No, it's illegal to take them from public in IL.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”