Doe bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

A-bach
Facebook: Alex Bachinski

Doe bedding

Unread postby A-bach » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:24 am

Im curious to hear what kind of results anyone has had setting up on or near doe bedding during the rut time frame? Have you seen bucks coming back to bed with the does? Have you seen bucks cruise and check the bedding are? Have you seen bucks set up near the area? Is it worth to camp out over or near the bedding area during this time?

Matt Gill
500 Club

Re: Doe bedding

Unread postby Matt Gill » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:25 am

Hunting downwind of doe bedding is my main and go to tactic. Setup on the transition line and wait. The harder the transition the better bc the bucks don’t want to waste energy and time going through brush when they can just cruise the edge of it. A lot of the cruising I see though starts mid morning as the day winds pickup. I think bucks learn over time it’s not as beneficial to cruise when the wind isn’t helping them optimize what they can scent check.

I have killed two of my nicest bow bucks between 11-1 using this tactic. It’s also nice if you can find a spot where the terrain funnels most of the cruising within bow range.

I know a lot of what this site is all about is buck bedding but I have just as many doe family bedding areas pinned on onX as I do buck beds.
Jrdeerhuntr

Re: Doe bedding

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:19 am

I think this can very is dependent on pressure and timing. I have read many times that sitting downwind of doe bedding can be a great way to target bucks, but this has not been the case for where I hunt. With the heavy pressure I deal with a mature buck beds pretty much in the same area as the does. The safe areas are limited due to this pressure, they also only tend to cruise at night. I have had my most productive sits sitting the same bedding areas as I target early season but now in the mornings catching them slipping back in to sleep. Generally the first hour or so is still best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”