Biggest advantage tool...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Biggest advantage tool...

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:24 am

All this talk about cell cams being an unfair advantage got me thinking... Lots of other things give hunters a far bigger advantage, heck, a good pair of binoculars has put more bone on my walls than my trail cams, but anywho, I would like to know what you think the biggest advantages are and why. Name the top 5 tools you think give deer hunters the biggest advantage...

Kokes
500 Club

Re: Biggest advantage tool...

Unread postby Kokes » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 am

biggest advantage is ones Attitude and effort they put in, the ability to get up when you miss a buck, lose access to a property, get a hunt ruined, etc..

Tools make it easier, but if someone took away my trail cams, lone wolf stand, etc, I would like to think i would still find a way to kill a nice buck every year... having said that my biggest difference was in 2015 when I got a lone wolf stand and stealth stripped it, this allowed me to set up undetected and really upped my game..
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:43 am

Compound and crossbows bows, tree stands, warm water proof clothing, range finders, and onX app
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:22 am

1. Critical Thinking/Memory
2. Time available to spend on deer hunting
3. The internet (research, mapping apps, etc)
4. Laser Range Finder...I would have missed/wounded a lot more animals on shots over 20 yards without knowing a precise range. And it doubles as a magnified optic
5. A good mobile hunting setup/element of surprise
***6. Premium, unpressured hunting ground in a big buck state.
Last edited by seazofcheeze on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:30 am

Great question; I predict a lot of good thoughtful answers.

I realized quickly that it's not going to be as easy for me to pick out my top five as I had first thought it might be.
So I tried to think back on the last half a hundred or so deer I've killed and asked myself what "tools" I was using at the time; and whether I would have killed each of those deer if I had NOT had that particular item.
Even that was difficult to answer; for example on some of them a long shot with a scoped rifle dropped the animal, so the obvious answer for that particular deer might have been "Scoped Rifle", since a shotgun or bow wouldn't have enabled that kill, under those particular circumstances.
But I have also killed quite a few others with that same scoped rifle that were so close that I could have killed them with my bow just about as easily.

And it's changed over time; I have technology available at my fingertips that didn't even exist when I began hunting.

Another thing to consider is whether we're talking about a tool that is taken into the woods whenever we are going to hunt, or whether it's something that will help us figure out where we're going to hunt in the first place.
(And get there- 4wd Pickup, waders, canoe, etc.)

But enough of the "what abouts" and the "qualifying".

Here are some (highly-disputable) answers:

I. The Internet. These days EVERYBODY uses that extensively, for everything from choosing a place to hunt via Google Earth or ONYX, etc. to purchasing licences to selecting other gear by reading online reviews, etc.
I'd really be surprised if anyone disputes that very strongly as one of their Top Five.
2. Eyeglasses/contacts. I can sort of function without them, but am significantly disadvantaged without vision correction. It kinda relates to your observation about binoculars. So I guess they'd be in this category for me as well.
3. Good boots and outerwear. I hunt some challenging conditions, and couldn't do it very long without protection from the elements.
4. Rifle, shotgun, bow. (Gotta have something other than teeth and fingernails.) Regardless of which I'm using at a given time, it's in good condition, sighted-in and well-maintained. No exceptions.
5. A treestand/climbing system of some sort. While I hunt from the ground quite a lot these days; I can't deny how effective elevated hunting methods have been in many of my past hunts.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:43 am

Name the top 5 tools you think give deer hunters the biggest advantage

1. Smart phones and internet. Without maps like hillmap, onx, huntstand, it would take a lot more work to figure out areas and even figure out what is public/private. Also forums, podcasts, videos putting out information is a huge advantage. Knowledge is power.

2. Cell cams. I think cell cams are a big advantage for real time data versus days or even weeks later. I don't think it's cheating but definitely is an advantage.

3. Lightweight mobile hunting setups. Instead of hauling loud and heavy gear to setup stands I think being able to sneak into areas and setup undetected is a huge advantage. It also allows you to go further than before.

4. Binos/spotting scopes. I think for scouting purposes these two pieces of gear are a big advantage. See what animals are doing without you knowing helps you learn a lot.

5. Compound Bows/Cross bow setups. These pieces of gear have come a long way from where it started from. It's hard to not think a newer compound or crossbow isn't an advantage from a trad/recurve bow or even a compound bow from the 90's.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:50 am

Hawthorne wrote:Compound and crossbows bows, tree stands, warm water proof clothing, range finders, and onX app

I forgot all about warm weather gear.. The The bibs and jacket Mitch from Venado gave me were a hame changer as far as me being able to handle sub 0
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:53 am

I think having a lot of money will put u in a better position to have better success. ( you could buy big chunks of private farms in the best states and have it managed for great hunting )

Then I’d have to say the internet, with a keen brain. That will give the ability to search and understand what others are doing.

Time is also very important. The more time you have the better your chances are.

Trail cams cellular and non are great if your the type who wants to hunt bigger age class bucks or a Specific buck. For many years. ( I’m also in and area where it’s not common to see more then 50 yards so glassing is useless )

OnX is the last. The ability to go to where you want and check it out.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:57 am

KRONIIK wrote:Great question; I predict a lot of good thoughtful answers.

I realized quickly that it's not going to be as easy for me to pick out my top five as I had first thought it might be.
So I tried to think back on the last half a hundred or so deer I've killed and asked myself what "tools" I was using at the time; and whether I would have killed each of those deer if I had NOT had that particular item.
Even that was difficult to answer; for example on some of them a long shot with a scoped rifle dropped the animal, so the obvious answer for that particular deer might have been "Scoped Rifle", since a shotgun or bow wouldn't have enabled that kill, under those particular circumstances.
But I have also killed quite a few others with that same scoped rifle that were so close that I could have killed them with my bow just about as easily.

And it's changed over time; I have technology available at my fingertips that didn't even exist when I began hunting.

Another thing to consider is whether we're talking about a tool that is taken into the woods whenever we are going to hunt, or whether it's something that will help us figure out where we're going to hunt in the first place.
(And get there- 4wd Pickup, waders, canoe, etc.)

But enough of the "what abouts" and the "qualifying".

Here are some (highly-disputable) answers:

I. The Internet. These days EVERYBODY uses that extensively, for everything from choosing a place to hunt via Google Earth or ONYX, etc. to purchasing licences to selecting other gear by reading online reviews, etc.
I'd really be surprised if anyone disputes that very strongly as one of their Top Five.
2. Eyeglasses/contacts. I can sort of function without them, but am significantly disadvantaged without vision correction. It kinda relates to your observation about binoculars. So I guess they'd be in this category for me as well.
3. Good boots and outerwear. I hunt some challenging conditions, and couldn't do it very long without protection from the elements.
4. Rifle, shotgun, bow. (Gotta have something other than teeth and fingernails.) Regardless of which I'm using at a given time, it's in good condition, sighted-in and well-maintained. No exceptions.
5. A treestand/climbing system of some sort. While I hunt from the ground quite a lot these days; I can't deny how effective elevated hunting methods have been in many of my past hunts.

I like the way you think thru the question.I kind of look at it that way to, instead of tjink what might be an advantage, actually breaking down the hunts... I did not think of onx... but that has to be up near the top. Another thst just crossed my mind was food plots... They have to have killed a huge number of deer.... Now, i dont use food plots as much as I use cameras, but I can actually think of a lot of deer I shot cause of a fois plot, weather over it, or keeping them on the property with it.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 am

Mapping apps.

Time and money of course.

My truck.

Any style of elevated hunting.

Lil buddy heaters.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:13 am

Rifles
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
American_Regular

Unread postby American_Regular » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:19 am

Lots to unpack in this one, but here it goes:

1) The knowledge and experience of those that have come before me and handed down their lessons. Just knowing that it has been accomplished immediately gives you an advantage, like Chuck Adams completing the Super Slam with a bow or some crazy guy from Wisconsin that wades through a marsh to hunt a buck in his bed. "What one man can do another man can do."

2) Synthetic fibers. There has been plenty of warm/waterproof clothing through the centuries but synthetic fibers changed everything. More efficient insulation at a fraction of the weight of natural fibers that wick and resist moisture.

3) Lightweight Gear. Not having the body of my youth, lightweight gear allows me to infiltrate more remote areas and move my setup around with less exertion. Less is more.

4) Smartphone. Having a literal computer in your pocket that is connected to the internet is a game changer. From analyzing maps using OnX to occupying yourself while in stand on long sits. It can't be overstated how powerful a tool it is.

5) Experience/ learning from mistakes. I'm no pro but I've been spending time in the woods for 75% of my life. I am comfortable venturing into areas that those around me aren't, and continually draw from my past experiences when scouting/hunting. I'm at a point in my life that where I'm more comfortable in the woods with no phone signal than I am in an office or at a social gathering.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:27 am

My truck for sure, I hunt roughly a 2 hr radius around my house, it opens up endless opportunities, of were and how many big bucks you can go after.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:36 am

By far the biggest advantage for hunters today is the information available on the internet, from mapping, podcasts, forums, data from deer studies, etc... Before the internet hunters had very limited resources available and a lot of information was more about selling products than teaching hunters. Hunters had to learn mostly through experience. Anything else is a distant second imo.

Technology has come a long ways on equipment like bows, clothing, stands/saddles, and trail cams. I'll go with those.
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:37 am

Hunting Beast DVDs :)

1. Compound bows
2. Lightweight/synthetic hunting apparel
3. Lightweight mobile hunting treestands/sticks
4. Youtube and social media

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”