Aggressive rubbing bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Aggressive rubbing bucks

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:23 am

My cousin killed this buck during gun season off the public land by my northern Michigan property. I mounted the rack on a plaque for him. I had noticed it was really smooth when he killed it but didn't pay to much attention. As I was working on it I realized this buck had rubbed about half of the thickness of his base off on one side. Image

The other side was rubbed smooth too but not as thin. This made me start looking at some of my racks I have laying around or on my wall. Almost all of them had distinctive heavier rubbing on one side be it right or left. A few had spot specific wear that was rounded out. This looked like they specifically caught that size tree over n over in the exact same spot. A few also had almost no wear as if they never rubbed anything. Anyhow I thought it was kind of cool.

The buck my cousin killed was in an area that was just tore up with rubs and scrapes. We bumped him the day before out of a transition between hardwoods and a popple thicket. He killed him in the same spot the next day.

oldrank

Re: Aggressive rubbing bucks

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:27 am

Oh yeah, if you notice I wrapped the skull plate in stealth strips... that stuff works on everything...lol
upwind predator
500 Club

Re: Aggressive rubbing bucks

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:07 am

Hmm I'm gonna have to pay attention to that more, that's pretty neat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”