Exit/Entry Trail Observations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Exit/Entry Trail Observations

Unread postby DaHunter » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:08 am

What are some of the exit/entry trail observations you've picked up through buck bed hunting, trail cams, observation sits?

In scenarios where there's not an obvious draw (preferred food, water, doe bedding) in one direction, how have you seen bucks exit their beds and at what consistency? Into the wind/crosswind? Staying in or on the edge of brush? Only moving where they watched for hours while bedded? Using terrain?

Success is in the small details and this is an area I want to learn as much as possible about. Mature bucks are deliberate in their movement and I think there's a lot to it that most don't really analyze and understand. Thinking back on some recent kills, the bucks were quartering into the wind likely scent checking, staying in or as close to the thicker cover as much as possible, and not moving far or fast in daylight.

Bowmet

Re: Exit/Entry Trail Observations

Unread postby Bowmet » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:53 am

I’ve noticed that they stick to the thicker cover for sure. Also, in hill country, I’ve observed them exiting their beds on the same elevation, as opposed to going down or uphill. Not sure if this is consistent though.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:28 am

It’s highly variable. The two mature bucks I saw leave beds this past season went straight up into dropping thermals and over the ridge on the windward side. This was 8 am in open hardwoods. They had been bedded at 40 yards out of sight until that point.

Entry the ones I see are generally coming at a crosswind but most of my setups are for bucks traveling with a crosswind so that’s what I’m most likely to see.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:28 pm

A lot tend to exit where they have visual.... The use the wind to gaurd their backside in the bed and then will often move to where they have been watching, at least initially (staging) when they exit. Nothing is 100% but I've seen it to often to ignore.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”