Late season...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

theAdmiral

Re: Late season...

Unread postby theAdmiral » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:12 am

Late muzzleloader ended for NY on 1/1/21. It was 50 degrees but I still went out. I had 2 doe fawns come running in, I was hoping one was in estrous and a buck would be following, that wasn’t the case. 2 years without releasing an arrow or pulling a trigger. Not for lack of opportunity on smaller bucks but the shooter class deer stayed just out of range.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:59 am

Business is eating up so much time right now. I want to be out there but time is hard to come by. Hopefully I’m getting out this weekend.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:20 pm

Still at it. Came close to shooting my NE OH target buck Oct 27th but he’s been AWOL since late Oct.

Hit a giant in SE Ohio on private after a deflection on Nov 10th. Never found him. Even searched with a dog.

Muzzloader here this weekend but really prefer bow hunting.

Still have a tag. Still hunting. Still don’t want to shoot a small buck so I won’t. Maybe a doe if a good shot comes up to fill the freezer.

Either way I’m still hunting and still learning.
Deer are super hard to find in the hill country Public I’m hunting now. Cell cam dead. Will push to the finish.
Can’t complain as I had my chance and passed several good deer looking for a great deer. Still love this stuff after more than 30 years.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:24 pm

Planning to hit Ohio this weekend weekend for the muzzleloader season.

Going to be extremely tough to come across a buck I think.

Came up with some different areas to look at. Gun season was slow due to a lack of acorns.

Snow would be wildly beneficial but that's not looking likely at this point. It'd be nice to find out where they are feeding quickly though.

Looks like Saturday and Monday will be my best days weather wise. I won't hunt Tuesday...too long of a drive home. Probably a late start Saturday due to a late start leaving after work Friday.

If nothing else, 3 more days of scouting for next season down there. I'd sure love to smoke a late season buck.

Probably get the flintlock out 1 last time too on the last day.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:47 pm

I had a couple close calls on my private spot late season. Made an aggressive move and hung a stand within 20 yards of a trail a mature 9 walked down in daylight the evening before. He never showed, and I passed a 1.5 8 point at like 7 yards.
On New Year’s Eve, I was hunting out of an abandoned trailer 60 yards from the tree I did a hang and hunt. A 2.5/3.5 8 caught me off guard at 3:15 coming down the trail and he caught me reaching for my bow at 50 yards. Skittishly, he made his way down the trail and eventually behind a wall in the trailer and that would’ve given me a 5 yard shot. He got too nervous though and ran off. Later that night, I passed a 6 point on the same trail. I then had a train of 7 antlerless deer come down the same trail and they moved so fast that I couldn’t get drawn back slow and steady. Sadly, I couldn’t fill another doe tag or my buck tag in Wisconsin. We still have until 1/9 but I won’t be able to get out.
This spot is always good late season. I wasn’t able to get a pattern on 2 mature bucks in the area, though. My motivation to hunt hard dwindled after my target buck I was after for 3 years was killed during rifle season.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:58 pm

we didnt get snow, deer were hard to pattern. Its finally cold but still no snow. Its closed now so thats a wrap. Mike
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:14 pm

Was waiting for cold and snow and got it last weekend and had the best sit of the year sunday night 1/2. Came close on a 140s 6x5. Long story short he busted me at 15 yards clipping my release on. He was following around a doe fawn on way to food. Also saw a massive 10 with a little junk that is pushing boone and Crockett right before dark. Another long story short unfortunately i bumped a single doe on my way out which in turn took a whole herd with her when she left. He was the tail of the herd. He didnt know what was up even stopped multiple times so not sure how bad he spooked. Have until the 31st here so may let it calm down a bit and give it one more go if I get decent weather again.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:18 pm

Had 2 perfect opportunities in the regular archery season.The first opportunity was on a big 8 that I spent 2 hrs stalking only to have my rest fail (didn’t drop away and the arrow went right under him). Managed to get within 22yds on him so that was a win for me.
Second opportunity was on a heavy racked buck 2nd to last day of regular season that I had no idea was around. Caught me off guard in the waning shooting hours and I ended up having the arrow deflect off a branch I didn’t see.
So now I’m back in late season and with time off work been hitting it hard. Jan 1 I almost had an opportunity on the 22yd buck mentioned, but I couldn’t catch up to him (spot and stalk). I was glad to see he made it. On dec 27th, we had snow on the ground and as I was working my way to hang my stand for an evening sit, I encountered a decent buck I wish now I went after but was dead set on another buck I knew was in the area. Sat through intermittent downpours in 34 degree weather, then thunder and lightning with light snow showers, he was a no show. But I did see a buck chasing a doe while on stand before that nasty weather hit.

The warm weather, fog and unpredictable winds has made it tough for me. Have 2 weeks yet to go. Hope to squeeze in a few more days. Like others said, it’s an awesome time to be out with little or no pressure from other hunters. This time of year, find the food, find the deer.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:22 pm

I've been out sick since the week following Christmas, im just now getting back to feeling good ,but I'm catching up with work, I hope to go Saturday maybe Sunday then I'm off to Florida for a wedding for a week then home just in time for the last day. I had high hopes of putting some time in this winter to try to figure out the late season but just hasn't happened.
I wish everyone luck for the rest of the season.
SWLA Deerhunter

Unread postby SWLA Deerhunter » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:49 pm

I have 1 buck tag left and an area in the state that's open until February 15th. I grind it out until the end every year if I have an unfilled tag. Mid December through 15 February is my favorite time to hunt down here in the deep south. Good Hunting to everyone still grinding.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:46 am

I just took a big beautiful slick head last night. That was my first January deer, which helped me accomplish one of my two biggest goals for this season. My goal was to be able to say I've taken deer in every month of our season. So now after only 3 seasons hunting deer, I have taken deer in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan.

I don't know if I'll get out again, but there is still 10 days left in the season...
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:09 am

I would be but our season ended Jan 1st- except for private in the TB zone in NE Michigan, or counties near Detroit to help thin the herd. I have no interest driving 3hrs to Detroit except for walleye fishing, or owning private land in NE Michigan which is 5 hrs from me. Im onto scouting/rabbit hunting and ice fishing.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:35 am

I'll be out for our Muzzy season this weekend and every weekend till archery ends on Feb 6th.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:16 am

I’ve still got my buck tag, maybe two hunts left in the season if I’m lucky.

It’s been a game of inches this year man. Been about as close as you can get three times.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:19 am

Just wish I could get time to go. Rained last weekend. Rain this weekend. Try following weekend. Really would like to go back down and get some peace and quite.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”