Saddle to stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Saddle to stand

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:52 pm

Maverick1 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Like Dewey I use stands, saddles and ground gear. This year took 1 from a ground chair, 1 from a stand and saddle, 2 from saddle and platform..... And no boogeyman, I only carried one tool at a time...... Preparation and a little forethought goes a long way.

Dave - can you share some information on your ground chair setup?

I have several videos still on my YouTube. Will be transferring then to rumble after new years

Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:14 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:
Maverick1 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Like Dewey I use stands, saddles and ground gear. This year took 1 from a ground chair, 1 from a stand and saddle, 2 from saddle and platform..... And no boogeyman, I only carried one tool at a time...... Preparation and a little forethought goes a long way.

Dave - can you share some information on your ground chair setup?

I have several videos still on my YouTube. Will be transferring then to rumble after new years

I will check them out next year then.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:07 am

maybe I use a saddle differently than most... because every time I hear somebody say they like a stand better or went back to a stand because of _________. I always think to myself that situation is one that I find a huge advantage being in a saddle. I don't know, I always say I want to keep my super light hang on for certain situations.. but there is never a situation I would find it to be an advantage. The big buck I killed this year would not have been killed if I didn't use a saddle. #1 I would never have even known he was there. #2 there would not have been one tree a stand could have gone into that would have gotten me in a position to shoot him, including the tree I was in. I've had that situation too many times for me to even consider a stand an option. A stand (even a very light hang on like I used to use) is just way too limiting to me.
Except rifle hunting... I have not liked rifle hunting from the saddle., but I don't rifle hunt much at all, usually one or two days per season.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:06 am

I haven’t used a saddle at all this season. I spent a lot of time in saddles and stands the last 10+ years and I still have a sitdrag saddle that I like a lot but I prefer to be in a stand. It’s not about comfort. It’s probably actually a more comfortable hunt in a saddle in a lot of cases. For me my biggest drawback to the saddle is having the tree in front of me. It made me move so much on bigger trees because I was constantly adjusting to look around the tree. I don’t like the blind spot. I know some would say, “just setup in a smaller tree” but I always feel like there is usually an exact tree you need to be in and sometimes that tree is big. The stand is just my preference now.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:49 am

Wlog wrote:I haven’t used a saddle at all this season. I spent a lot of time in saddles and stands the last 10+ years and I still have a sitdrag saddle that I like a lot but I prefer to be in a stand. It’s not about comfort. It’s probably actually a more comfortable hunt in a saddle in a lot of cases. For me my biggest drawback to the saddle is having the tree in front of me. It made me move so much on bigger trees because I was constantly adjusting to look around the tree. I don’t like the blind spot. I know some would say, “just setup in a smaller tree” but I always feel like there is usually an exact tree you need to be in and sometimes that tree is big. The stand is just my preference now.

I find this very interesting, because I love having the tree in front of me. I find it easy to see around the tree with very little movement, and love being concealed by the tree. I feel like the blind spot is non-existent, but in a stand your visual field is extremely limited. I feel like in a stand there is quite a bit of movement to be able to see behind you, and to shoot behind you is an extreme amount of movement, while in the saddle it is extremely minimal. I like that I am able to stay tight enough to the tree that I am not skylined from almost any angle compared to a stand, and even when drawing my bow, the bow, my arm, and any movement is mostly concealed by the tree from most viewing angles if shooting "through" the tree. A smaller tree wouldn't be more helpful either in my opinion, as I've come to like trees bigger around than I am because they conceal me even more. I never seem to have problems with trees being too big, and I use 8 foot ropemods for my sticks, and get into some pretty big trees. This is a prime example of what I said in my previous response, that someone else's complaint about the saddle is something that I find a strength of the saddle over a stand. I must just do it differently than others.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:17 am

Brad wrote:
Wlog wrote:I haven’t used a saddle at all this season. I spent a lot of time in saddles and stands the last 10+ years and I still have a sitdrag saddle that I like a lot but I prefer to be in a stand. It’s not about comfort. It’s probably actually a more comfortable hunt in a saddle in a lot of cases. For me my biggest drawback to the saddle is having the tree in front of me. It made me move so much on bigger trees because I was constantly adjusting to look around the tree. I don’t like the blind spot. I know some would say, “just setup in a smaller tree” but I always feel like there is usually an exact tree you need to be in and sometimes that tree is big. The stand is just my preference now.

I find this very interesting, because I love having the tree in front of me. I find it easy to see around the tree with very little movement, and love being concealed by the tree. I feel like the blind spot is non-existent, but in a stand your visual field is extremely limited. I feel like in a stand there is quite a bit of movement to be able to see behind you, and to shoot behind you is an extreme amount of movement, while in the saddle it is extremely minimal. I like that I am able to stay tight enough to the tree that I am not skylined from almost any angle compared to a stand, and even when drawing my bow, the bow, my arm, and any movement is mostly concealed by the tree from most viewing angles if shooting "through" the tree. A smaller tree wouldn't be more helpful either in my opinion, as I've come to like trees bigger around than I am because they conceal me even more. I never seem to have problems with trees being too big, and I use 8 foot ropemods for my sticks, and get into some pretty big trees. This is a prime example of what I said in my previous response, that someone else's complaint about the saddle is something that I find a strength of the saddle over a stand. I must just do it differently than others.

Same here. I love having the tree in front of me and think that’s a huge advantage when you know exactly where the deer are coming from. Staying hidden behind the tree is huge compared to being wide open on a stand platform. Never felt like I had a blind spot in any direction in a saddle. Obviously I hang with my back the direction I don’t expect deer to come from which is coincidentally the same way I walked in to set up. Do they ever come from downwind? Yes but it still much easier to position for that shot in a saddle than it is while on a stand. On a stand with a deer behind the tree is when things get dicey. With no ability to swing out from the tree that’s where a saddle shines shooting around the trunk.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:08 am

When I first got into hunting in 2013 I goggled alot of stuff and came across John Eberharts book san dbought and read them and was interetsed in saddles from day one. I just could not get behind the platfroms of teh day and coudl never get a ring of steps up here in Canada as they were very rare. I saddle hunted for 2018 and 2019 I stopped because of my movement and the feeling I coudl not shoot well sitting down.

I also never felt like I could be as accurate as standing firm on a stand platform. For me being in a stand I can almost get 360* shooting and when I set up its usually with terrain behind me that I can get a shot off anyways.

Now with my beast stand and sticks my total weight with my pouch under teh seat full is 18.5lb. That is not alot for me and Im just as mobile carrying it as I was with my saddle set up.

I can also get into any tree preety much with my beast set up. I used a saddle once this year and it was on a leaning tree and I moved around the tree and I almost could not get back around.

I also get anoyed by saddle boi's who claim its teh best thing ever saying "what about 3" diamter trees and cant seem to grasp I can get my stand into any damn tree they can get their ROS or platform in. Also I felt like deer coudl pick me off more sitting away from teh tree and felt my sillouette stuck out like a sore thumb. I feel standing against the tree is less likely to get picked off.

I used a Kestrel Flex and predator platform for two seasons. Its comfortable and the weight savings wa snice with my hand drill and bolts but honestly the beast stand and sticks check all the boxes for me.

Saddles can be a good tool and ALOT of deer get killed from people using them, its just alot of teh users I find annoying who think its vastly superior to stands.

I have a Dryad Drey collecting dust, I am going to use it scouting this year to set up trees and clear shooting lanes for my stand. I may keep it for certain trees Im not sure yet.

If Dan comes out with a .5 size stand I may get one and use as a hybrid with my Dryad, the dryad is pretty much a hammock.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:21 am

OH nontypical wrote:
Tsom wrote:This was my first year trying a saddle but also got a shoulder injury. Makes packing in easier but noticed drawing the bow in different positions was more painful than just standing on a treestand platform. However packing my xop vanish and lw sticks wasn't too keen on the shoulder either. I didn't hunt a lot this season but had a healthy mix of saddle, stand, and ground. I'll be keeping both and using whichever one the situation deems necessary.

Invest in a lighter stand stick set up if you can.
I battle a shoulder issue as well. Contrary to some thoughts on YouTube cutting 3 to 5 pound off your total carry makes a big difference.

It’s also way easier to hang the lighter stands. I shaved 6 lbs off my XOP Vanish going to the Beast stand. Other lighter options out there too. Big investment but worth it for this old guy.

Have you looked into "strap stagers" on Genesis 3d pritning website? They are amazing for hanging stands
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:29 am

Jimmy wallhanger wrote:
OH nontypical wrote:
Tsom wrote:This was my first year trying a saddle but also got a shoulder injury. Makes packing in easier but noticed drawing the bow in different positions was more painful than just standing on a treestand platform. However packing my xop vanish and lw sticks wasn't too keen on the shoulder either. I didn't hunt a lot this season but had a healthy mix of saddle, stand, and ground. I'll be keeping both and using whichever one the situation deems necessary.

Invest in a lighter stand stick set up if you can.
I battle a shoulder issue as well. Contrary to some thoughts on YouTube cutting 3 to 5 pound off your total carry makes a big difference.

It’s also way easier to hang the lighter stands. I shaved 6 lbs off my XOP Vanish going to the Beast stand. Other lighter options out there too. Big investment but worth it for this old guy.

Have you looked into "strap stagers" on Genesis 3d pritning website? They are amazing for hanging stands

Looks like it could come in handy. Shoulder didn't seem to have to much issue hanging the stand but mostly just carrying it in. Suppose a waist belt would help with that.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:07 pm

On the hike in and out, love the saddle way more.... Once actually in the tree, I'll take the stand 1000 times over... I'm still looking for my perfect system.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:41 pm

I had been hunting from a saddle for 2 seasons and had all intentions of using it again this year…and I did. However, I picked up a Novix Helo and ended up using it exclusively this season but used the saddle as my harness. Felt safe on the climbs and in many situations I put my stand on the backside of the tree for cover and sat facing the tree and the saddle helped bridge the two styles.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:05 am

I’ve been back and forth over the last 5 seasons now. Personally, I would like a 5lb sized stand. With a saddle. I like to setup on the back side of the tree, I have done that for years with my LW. With the saddle and a ROS, and a scout platform, I find I still have a hard time drawing at times. I switched to lh draw due to left eye dominance, rh draw would have been easy. I like the hybrid setup. Best of both worlds.

The smaller sized stands 5lbs range are hard to come up with. A 2.5lb platform is about at the limits of what you can come up with design wise. That limits size, and features drastically. It’s also hard to get one to pass at 350#’s weight limit.

I’ve got an older LW at the 8.5ld size, modded up, it’s closer to 12 now, waist belt, shoulder straps, paracorded. The platform alone is over 5lbs bare. Shaving of 2.5lbs is hard to say what it would feel like. I have taken off the 3rd hand bow holder, so that eliminates a lb right there.

But here is the kicker with a saddle setup. Most guys go to a decent backpack to carry in sticks, those alone are 4-5 lbs, now you are back in the same weight range. Unless you one stick. One sticking to me seems like it would introduce to much movement if you are up close and personal with a bedded buck. Maybe not, I have never tried it. Just my thoughts.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:55 am

I started using saddles back in 2011 when it was all used and hard to find Trophyline and Ameristep ROS gear. I've used them on and off over the years and killed many deer out of them. However, there are some shortcomings compared to treestands and vice versa. I've seen many changes and have used the mini stand platforms, ROS etc. I've had a love hate relationship with saddles, but once I figured out it was another tool I found what worked.

Early or pre-season when you are not packing in clothes they are still lightweight and great mobile options. Once you have to start using the 4-5 pound packs you might as well use a stand stick setup in my experience. In many cases the saddle setup with "pack" will weigh more than the newer lightweight stands on the market. The tough part here for me is saddle setups really shine late season when there is no leaves. Hiding behind the tree trunk simply works on late season whitetails. For this reason, I avoid using 5 pound packs and wear everything in and carry my sticks slung over my back. Only thing I need to change here is going to a lighter stick. 2 pound sticks just don't cut it in this instance.

The platform craze I never really understood; If I'm carrying 3-5 pound platform why not just get one with a seat? I'm a ROS guy and can make any shot I need to in the woods; that is using a 58-64" traditional bow I might add. It's all preference though and your mileage may vary.

Tree selecction is another one. If I'm going in blind never been in that area I think a stand is more versatile. On my OOS hunt this year it was all Hedge trees and a saddle is not that best option in that instance. Waaay too much tree trimming where you can tuck a hang on right in that mess. So I had to pack the stand 2 plus miles as that was the best tool for that hunt...See where I'm going here?

I'm in a treestand probably 80 percent of the time these days. However, I'm always blending the two styles. I cant tell you how many times I've had to setup for a right hand shot being a lefthand shooter. Lots of fumbling around with a standard harness; I turn around and use the saddle in these situations and it's a strong side no movement shot if a deer comes by.

Like I mentioned above they are all tools and there is no "best" option...
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:06 am

I used a combination of two or three saddles exclusively for about three years. Bottom line, i think they suck i’ll never buy another.

Stands are just so much quieter, less visible, more stealthy and more versatile than hanging off the tree like you do in a saddle. FAR less movement in a stand as well. What got me into a saddle was the “hide behind the tree” or “move 360 degrees around the tree” for a shot type of marketing. Yeah, try moving around the tree when you’re hanging 3 feet away from it with zero leaves on the trees and that buck coming from about 3 o clock or so just over your right shoulder where he wasn’t supposed to come from. IT AINT HAPPENING. Even when deer aren’t around, or at least i don’t know they are, i move WAY MORE in a saddle than in a stand so i’m sure many have busted me swaying around before knew they were coming.

Saddles definitely arent for me other than a modified fall restraint. I mean, standing on a platform barely the size of my feet with all my weight concentrated on my hips, but, upper hamstrings isn’t my definition of comfort but to each their own. It was the movement that really killed saddles for me though. I find it impossible to just sit completely still for any length of time in one and unless the deer comes in perfectly where you need him the amount of movement to get a shot off i find unacceptable.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:36 am

No tool overcomes a persons inability. Use what you know how to use and what works for you. Best thing is to start somewhere and add/subtract tools based off personal experience/trail and error.... Not off a social media post.

Now can we get back to something worth discussing.... Chevy or Ford???

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”