Saddle to stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robbo

Saddle to stand

Unread postby Robbo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:33 am

Who has stopped using saddle and went back to stand and why?

Fryguy

Re: Saddle to stand

Unread postby Fryguy » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:46 am

Following.....I've been thinking of a run and gun stand myself. I'm comfy enough in a saddle and like the weight but hunted from a stand so long don't know if I'm sold on saddles or not. Course all my stands are permanent on private but want to go mobile a lot more. I blew it on a nice one last year out of the saddle. Nobody missed but me but that weak side shot is tough. I have no doubt I would have killed that deer from a stand.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:57 am

I did . Easy answer…. Saddles suck unless you are breaking quarter horse colts.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:40 pm

I'm heading back to a stand as well. The saddle just isn't for me, I like my simple stand and stick's and away I go!!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:06 pm

I’m back to the stand. Why?

It started with wanting the stand for cold weather. Bulky clothing in the saddle don’t work well for me. My saddle is 20 yrs old tho almost. Maybe new ones are way better.

I found myself in a lot of smaller trees. I could conceal better in saddle but it takes a lot of movement to get a shot if the deer isn’t in the sweet spot. Maybe I’m not as stealthy as some but what I like about my stand is I rise when I hear a deer approach and I can shoot almost 360 deg with way less movement. Unless it’s a mammoth tree but I’m generally in 8-16” dia trees. Easy to stand up and shoot right behind you.

In the saddle I found myself with a lot smaller window most the time. To the extent I knew it was going to cost me a deer.

I have a couple spots I will still use my saddle.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:16 pm

Why not use both? I use a saddle...stand....climber. usually use saddle for bow mainly but occasionally a hang on. Once muzzy and gun hit in use climber, hang on, or just sit on ground.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:19 pm

I use both. I think the stand is more versatile in tree types as you don't need as much room to squeeze the stand into brushy trees. But if I'm scouting and might hunt or have a very far walk ill use the saddle. Find myself using the saddle much more on OOS hunts and the stands at home more. But both are good tools just depends on the situation
Make It Happen
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:32 pm

Traded in my XOP and LWCG doubles for a Beast stand and beast minis with the attachment rod.

Have considered a saddle but just don’t see the need.
The beast stand and sticks are super light and actually really like the attachment with the rod. Quick easy and secure. Small pack right on the sticks. Really like it.

Used a climber for years too. Nothing more mobile and comfortable than sticks and stand in the right hands.

Good luck.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:32 pm

In my opinion it's not an "either/or" situation. I strongly prefer to hunt out of a stand vs a saddle. It's just more comfortable and efficient for me. However, there are plenty of times when the best tree is leaning the wrong way. Should I sit facing away from expected deer movement? Should I sit backwards on the tree stand seat? Heck no. I use a tree saddle as a safety harness and can sit whichever way the situation demands. And I'm in complete comfort either way. It's called "hybrid mode". You can do it with any stand on the market. You can do it with any saddle on the market.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Both here too. Stand for longer sits, saddle for shorter evening hunts usually. Killed all my deer from the ground so far this year though :lol:
Strategically Inefficient
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:43 pm

KLEMZ wrote:In my opinion it's not an "either/or" situation. I strongly prefer to hunt out of a stand vs a saddle. It's just more comfortable and efficient for me. However, there are plenty of times when the best tree is leaning the wrong way. Should I sit facing away from expected deer movement? Should I sit backwards on the tree stand seat? Heck no. I use a tree saddle as a safety harness and can sit whichever way the situation demands. And I'm in complete comfort either way. It's called "hybrid mode". You can do it with any stand on the market. You can do it with any saddle on the market.

I thought about giving that a shot this year. Seems like a no brainer. I’ve tried a couple different saddles and can’t stay comfortable for more than a couple hours. I catch myself moving around way too much.
Strategically Inefficient
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:29 pm

Saddles, hang ons, climbers, JX3 Hybrid, pop up blind, ground hunt chairs……….I use them all. Different tools for different situations or level of comfort. I still haven’t found one that works best for everything so I like to have options. I am still saddle at least 80% of the time but that was reduced a bit this year playing around with my new Beast stand. I will always use a saddle. Can’t imagine ever going without one again.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Yes… all tools in the toolbox. You need to head out every morning with a hang on, climber, saddle, ladder stand, 2x4’s with a saw, pop up blind, and a tower blind on your back. Anything else you just don’t stand a chance. Combine all of them together when things really get tough. Cry once buy once, who cares if you buy more stuff each year than anyone. Important thing is keep buying. Nothing ups your odds like more junk!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:37 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Yes… all tools in the toolbox. You need to head out every morning with a hang on, climber, saddle, ladder stand, 2x4’s with a saw, pop up blind, and a tower blind on your back. Anything else you just don’t stand a chance. Combine all of them together when things really get tough. Cry once buy once, who cares if you buy more stuff each year than anyone. Important thing is keep buying. Nothing ups your odds like more junk!

Forgot about the tower blind. Gonna have to add that to my ar$enal. :lol:

Why is ar$enal blocked by the vulgar word filter anyway? :think:
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:50 pm

This was my first year trying a saddle but also got a shoulder injury. Makes packing in easier but noticed drawing the bow in different positions was more painful than just standing on a treestand platform. However packing my xop vanish and lw sticks wasn't too keen on the shoulder either. I didn't hunt a lot this season but had a healthy mix of saddle, stand, and ground. I'll be keeping both and using whichever one the situation deems necessary.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”