Saddle to stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tsom
500 Club

Re: Saddle to stand

Unread postby Tsom » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:54 am

DaveT1963 wrote:No tool overcomes a persons inability. Use what you know how to use and what works for you. Best thing is to start somewhere and add/subtract tools based off personal experience/trail and error.... Not off a social media post.

Now can we get back to something worth discussing.... Chevy or Ford???

Haha! I'm gonna go with both answers on both questions!

Dhumpy

Unread postby Dhumpy » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:00 am

I’ve bounced back and forth between saddle and stand for a couple years now. Have been happy with my novix helo this year but my last couple hunts I’ve used the xop renegade saddle/harness with the helo. I prefer to set up in traditional stand fashion (front of the tree where I expect the deer to come with back cover) but had to setup on backside of tree yesterday and having the saddle worked great. Like in all bad breakups it’s me, not the saddle. I move way to much in the saddle and have missed several shots I shouldn’t have.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:22 am

It all comes down to comfort for me. Some say they cannot stay still in a saddle but I’m completely the opposite. My back is all jacked up so sitting on a hang on is pure torture for me and I’m constantly repositioning to alleviate the pain. In a saddle I’m completely pain free so staying perfectly still is extremely easy. So much so that I hate getting out if the tree at the end of the hunt since being in a saddle is the only time I have zero pain. It’s been great in that regard and allows me to spend many more hours in a tree without feeling like a torture marathon.

I love my Beast stand but gotta admit I was hurting pretty bad after 5-6 sits. No fault in the stand at all it’s just me. Really no way around that for me other than alternate hunts with my saddles.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:32 pm

Dewey wrote:It all comes down to comfort for me. Some say they cannot stay still in a saddle but I’m completely the opposite. My back is all jacked up so sitting on a hang on is pure torture for me and I’m constantly repositioning to alleviate the pain. In a saddle I’m completely pain free so staying perfectly still is extremely easy. So much so that I hate getting out if the tree at the end of the hunt since being in a saddle is the only time I have zero pain. It’s been great in that regard and allows me to spend many more hours in a tree without feeling like a torture marathon.

I love my Beast stand but gotta admit I was hurting pretty bad after 5-6 sits. No fault in the stand at all it’s just me. Really no way around that for me other than alternate hunts with my saddles.

Dewey, you gotta set up a stripper pole in your living room or something and hang a tether and a saddle from it so you get that same comfort while watching Packer games or browsing Youtube!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:38 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
Dewey wrote:It all comes down to comfort for me. Some say they cannot stay still in a saddle but I’m completely the opposite. My back is all jacked up so sitting on a hang on is pure torture for me and I’m constantly repositioning to alleviate the pain. In a saddle I’m completely pain free so staying perfectly still is extremely easy. So much so that I hate getting out if the tree at the end of the hunt since being in a saddle is the only time I have zero pain. It’s been great in that regard and allows me to spend many more hours in a tree without feeling like a torture marathon.

Dewey, you gotta set up a stripper pole in your living room or something and hang a tether and a saddle from it so you get that same comfort while watching Packer games or browsing Youtube!

I was thinking more like planting a tree in my house. :lol:
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:20 am

I used a tethrd mantis for half a season and quickly returned to my lone wolf. Then used a cruzr xc the next season, all season. Although the cruzr is a great saddle, and was comfortable, I don’t find it to be comparable to stand hunting. My saddle setup all in a backpack was 15#. My beast stand and 3 sticks is 15# so to me it was a very easy decision but at the end of the day it all comes down to the users preferences. I honestly believe the biggest difference is I can hunt a wider range of trees comfortably from the stand. Like very small trees or limby maples etc. where you can tick the stand in between the limbs
SILhunter

Unread postby SILhunter » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 am

I'm with Dewey, any stand with a metal seat and a cushion is a no go for me and my back, I like the Millenium m100 lock on but that's 13lbs. Been saddle hunting for 3 years now and don't see many lockons in my future unless it's a preset on private.
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:46 am

I can't see myself ever using a hang-on stand again. Although I have the one of the lightest hang-on stands ever made, it still can't beat the pros of a saddle setup. My saddle and platform setup is lighter (around 8 lbs total for 4 sticks, saddle & platform) than my hang-on stand setup (around 12 lbs total for 4 sticks, safety harness & stand) and much more compact as well. I'm one of the guys that initially thought that a saddle wasn't really any better than a hang-on until I tried it and quickly discovered that saddle hunting is just an all-around better method for mobile, elevated hunting imo.
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:17 am

I switched to saddle this year. There is s learning curve forsure but as i learned more and more my stand got used less and less. When i hunted with a stand i always looked for an excuse to sit on the ground. Now i look for an excuse to use my saddle
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:09 am

Shane, what system are you using? Thanks, Mike
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:42 am

I am exactly the same way. My back kills me if I'm sitting on a seat, including the seat of a tree stand. My back doesn't hurt in a saddle at all. I used to get some pretty bad hip pinch during long sits, but once I adjusted my bridge and tether height properly, that was no longer an issue.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:47 am

simpzenith wrote:I can't see myself ever using a hang-on stand again. Although I have the one of the lightest hang-on stands ever made, it still can't beat the pros of a saddle setup. My saddle and platform setup is lighter (around 8 lbs total for 4 sticks, saddle & platform) than my hang-on stand setup (around 12 lbs total for 4 sticks, safety harness & stand) and much more compact as well. I'm one of the guys that initially thought that a saddle wasn't really any better than a hang-on until I tried it and quickly discovered that saddle hunting is just an all-around better method for mobile, elevated hunting imo.

I feel the same. The improved ease of concealment and wider range of possible shots alone would be enough to stick with the saddle over a stand, but then throw in how much less bulk to carry (not worried about the weight, more the bulk) and how much less potential noise to make, and to me it's a no brainer. The saddle wins in every aspect. I personally have found not one pro of a hang on over a saddle.
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:55 pm

mspaci wrote:Shane, what system are you using? Thanks, Mike

Tethrd Phantom saddle, Predator platform and (4) Tethrd One sticks.
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:55 pm

thinkin about those sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”