Will I get another shot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Will I get another shot?

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:05 pm

Hunted a buck bedding area today during gun. He was bedded before sunrise but stood up around 930 and I missed him the the gun. Caught a tree I didn’t see in the scope. He tore out but didn’t wind me and frankly I don’t think knew what the happened. Will he stick around?

blackwidow
500 Club

Re: Will I get another shot?

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:24 am

Only one way to find out. Nothing to lose from hunting it again. If he isn't there though, I would move on after that.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:47 am

blackwidow wrote:Only one way to find out. Nothing to lose from hunting it again. If he isn't there though, I would move on after that.

x2
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:21 am

I have noticed that deer don't really spook from gun shots like they spook when they catch your wind or see you walking up on them. It seems they just notice something weird is going on and instincts tell them its better to be safe than sorry. My opinion is that buck has a good chance of coming back to this area as long as the gun shot didn't get combined with picking up your scent.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Bittybuilt

Unread postby Bittybuilt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:03 pm

I also messed up a shot Friday at a buck that had been bedded.. he finally stood up and I shot 6 minutes before quitting time and all I saw was muzzle flash. This prevented me from seeing his reaction. I saw him leave and when we checked later and then the next morning not any blood or hair at the scene of the crime. Nothing with a grid search either. Neighbor did see a big buck limping the next morning but it doesn't garuntee it was him. My brother got a big 6 one year with no brows and he was always limping so we tried to find out why. He has a cracked hoof is all we saw .

Good luck and hope you can get a second chance
Bittybuilt

Unread postby Bittybuilt » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:14 am

Bittybuilt wrote:I also messed up a shot Friday at a buck that had been bedded.. he finally stood up and I shot 6 minutes before quitting time and all I saw was muzzle flash. This prevented me from seeing his reaction. I saw him leave and when we checked later and then the next morning not any blood or hair at the scene of the crime. Nothing with a grid search either. Neighbor did see a big buck limping the next morning but it doesn't garuntee it was him. My brother got a big 6 one year with no brows and he was always limping so we tried to find out why. He has a cracked hoof is all we saw .

Good luck and hope you can get a second chance

So to I complicate things yesterday morning (Wednesday)I was back out. Tuesday midday we had a inch of snow. Walking out from hunting I saw tracks crossing the road. I noticed a little blood with the tracks so I backtracked it and it led within 25-30 yards of the bed that the buck was bedded at Friday just before I shot. The snow was not on the bed so it was used since Wednesday. We proceeded to track it about 400 yards kinda circling around as if it was coming back. We backed out as there was hardly any blood. I can't believe the coincidences of the area it started from etc. I realize that it could be another deer but what are the chances going from that bedding area ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”