Looking for super quiet, wind resistant reasonably priced camo's?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Looking for super quiet, wind resistant reasonably priced camo's?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:43 pm

I learned a long time ago when I bought Shikari Cloth camo's that the key to staying warm was having a very wind resistant/wind "proof" outer shell. Saddle Cloth was another. Unfortunately those camos have long since worn out & I've been freezing ever since because perhaps my biggest fault as a hunter is being too cheap. That Shikari Cloth had such a tight weave that only the coldest windiest days allowed you to feel even a little breeze getting through. Water even beaded up & rolled off despite not being treated and while not cheap it was reasonably priced, but these days anything similarly quiet & effective is very expensive & anything at a decent price point seems to use some type of membrane under the camo which makes it too noisy for me (especially in really cold weather) since my typical bow shot is 5-10 yards.

So anyone have any suggestions? Anyone know of any camo's like what I used to have other than Grey Wolf Wollens which were nearly $1,200 when I checked them out a couple years ago.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
brancher147
500 Club

Re: Looking for super quiet, wind resistant reasonably priced camo's?

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:52 pm

Have you looked at natural gear camo?
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Atimm693

Unread postby Atimm693 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:38 am

I have a Scentlok Windbrace that I like quite a bit. They're on sale right now. When layered properly, you can use it all year.

I don't buy into the Scentlok BS, but the wind and water proofing are excellent.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:57 am

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2208290

I would definitely recommend this jacket to anyone that hunts in frigid temps. I have the jacket and matching pants. I got an XL in both and they’re slightly too big, but I’m ok with layering.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:16 am

Not sure if your price range, camo preference, etc but i own a fair amount of Kryptek, Scentlok, Predator, and Kuiu. All of them get used based on need.

This time of year i start wearing my Kryptek Vellus Fleece jacket and pants. They are Windproof, Waterproof, Seam Sealed, breathable and moist importantly dead silent just like old school fleece. I actually pack the pants in and put them on over what i walked in with as they are pretty warm and i over heat easily anyways. The jacket i’ll wear in if it’s like 30 or less. They really are outstanding hunting clothes.

https://store.kryptek.com/catalog/categ ... ns/vellus/

For the super frigid late late season i’ll pack in my Kryptek Aegis jacket and bibs. Same as the Vellus fleece just MUCH more insulated and warmer. They are also dead silent. Downfall is they’re pretty expensive.

https://store.kryptek.com/catalog/categ ... ther-gear/

I also like the Predator Stealth Micro Fleece for this time of year into December. Very warm and dead silent too. I have it as i love the Fall Grey pattern when i’m in a treestand after leaves are off or when there is snow on the ground. Thise that say camo is useless have never used this pattern for those two scenarios i mentioned it DEFINITELY helps prevent deer from detecting you when you just don’t have cover.

https://shop.predatorcamo.com/stealth-m ... ce-jacket/
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 am

I have not tried it, but maybe check out Huntworth
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:13 am

The Cabela's brand has some really good clothes at a good price point.

I wouldn't bother with Sitka gear, First Lite or any of that other designer high dollar hunting clothing line. They don't perform any better than garments that cost half as much.

Some of these clothing line manufacturers think of us as suckers. And a sucker and his money are soon parted. They would have you believe that you can't be successful in the woods unless you spend several thousand dollars on their garments.... Or that nothing else in the world will keep you warm or quiet. Or that every other camo pattern on the market is worthless.

Cut through the fog of garbage marketing and podcast sponsorships and you get down to just what works.

I don't buy into the scent lock BS either. But generally speaking, their garments have a reputation for being of high quality. Compared to Sitka and First lite, they're also at a much lower cost. But Cabela's garments are just as high quality and you're not going to pay for the name or a garbage feature that doesn't work...

I've had some good luck with stuff from true timber as well... Affordable and functional and good quality..

Interestingly enough, the garments I have that have failed to hold up over time, or were of the lowest quality, were those from these designer manufacturers.... I've paid First lite several hundred dollars for a single pair of pants, and they didn't make it through one season before they were falling apart at the seams, torn from going through brush, and faded from being washed. I learned an expensive lesson.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:45 am

Cabelas berber fleece with windsheer and the wooltimate with wind sheer are great. What i do most of the time tho is to put on a windproof vest on right underneath my outer layer or a wind proof soft shell jacket under my outer layer.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:11 am

The high end stuff doesn’t keep you any warmer. It just weighs less while it does it. Cabelas wind shear stuff is really solid for the price.

That said I’ll never run anything but merino wool base layers. It’s worth every penny to have it wick away sweat.
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:20 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:The Cabela's brand has some really good clothes at a good price point.

I wouldn't bother with Sitka gear, First Lite or any of that other designer high dollar hunting clothing line. They don't perform any better than garments that cost half as much.

Some of these clothing line manufacturers think of us as suckers. And a sucker and his money are soon parted. They would have you believe that you can't be successful in the woods unless you spend several thousand dollars on their garments.... Or that nothing else in the world will keep you warm or quiet. Or that every other camo pattern on the market is worthless.

Cut through the fog of garbage marketing and podcast sponsorships and you get down to just what works.

I don't buy into the scent lock BS either. But generally speaking, their garments have a reputation for being of high quality. Compared to Sitka and First lite, they're also at a much lower cost. But Cabela's garments are just as high quality and you're not going to pay for the name or a garbage feature that doesn't work...

I've had some good luck with stuff from true timber as well... Affordable and functional and good quality..

Interestingly enough, the garments I have that have failed to hold up over time, or were of the lowest quality, were those from these designer manufacturers.... I've paid First lite several hundred dollars for a single pair of pants, and they didn't make it through one season before they were falling apart at the seams, torn from going through brush, and faded from being washed. I learned an expensive lesson.

I agree, I used to have ALL first lite gear.... I currently have a sanctuary set that Im going to sell to some moron for 800 CAD the second the season ends. Its overpriced crap thats made off shore. I may get the furnace baselayers though as I have a set that I bought in 2014 that is still going strong Ive just lost about 35lb since then and they are loose

Im currently awating a windproof insulated cowboy suede vest from Day One camo that is handmade to order in the USA, and available in ASAT which is my favorite pattern.

I also got a True Timber fleece lined hoody for half price that is SUPER comfy and warm and helps me bridge the mid season gap
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:18 pm

szwampdonkey
Thanks for the links! I will definitely be looking into these further. I took a quick look at the Aegis bibs & was impressed with the well thought out design. They had some key features I look for in high quality functional clothing. I also very much love the fall gray pattern from Predator. It's what I really prefer to get. Are the Kryptek & Predator Stealth Micro Fleece good at shedding burrs & other clingon's?

Jimmy wallhanger
I forgot about Cowboy Suede. I think it's like the old saddle cloth but I'm not sure. I see the parka has 170 grams of thinsulate which sounds pretty warm. Not sure if it would be bulky though. I wonder how it stacks up to Primaloft insulation. The Kryptic Aegis has 100 grams of Primaloft & those sound like they would be good for single digit weather.

Atimm693
I keep forgetting that Scent Lock clothing is nice & warm with little bulk. I will look into them since the factory is close by. I let John Eberhart & Tony Lapratt talk me into Scent Lock many years ago & I got winded a lot more with it than without it. Mine had it's own smell to it & they wouldn't replace it because they said it was just the glue & after several trips to the dryer it should quit smelling bad. BUT, I did notice that it is very warm considering how thin it is. Although a bit on the heavy side. If I remember right it wasn't to bad at blocking the wind either.

ThePreBanMan
Thanks for your observations about the first light pants. Not what I would have expected.

There are several options mentioned here that I will look into. I just wish there was a hunting clothing superstore somewhere that had all these brands under one roof to compare!

I'm really leary of these membranes. I have never found one I couldn't hear but I haven't listed to any of them in a few years so maybe some of them are quiet these days.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Well, I was getting a little excited about the Kryptek Aegis but I just watched this video & at 5:50 it clearly shows it does not come close to my requirement of being super quiet. It looks like this one is off the list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zZlMzQ74Tk

Being quiet is #1! If it's not quiet it's worthless for the close range 5-10 yard shot bowhunting I do!
ryansean

Unread postby ryansean » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:11 pm

I'm a fan of the cowboy suede, it's stealth strip like and doesn't collect burrs like anything with a fleece type exterior. It's wind resistant, fairly waterproof,and quiet.

I was looking for something similar like you and ended up getting some Rivers West ambush bibs and jacket a few years ago. They're very warm and get packed in. The jacket is very well thought out. The only things I don't like is the berber fleece lining collects and holds everything and the leg zippers aren't very long on the bibs. Otherwise I'm happy with them and they keep me quiet and warm.

Day One Camo is a company I wished I would have found sooner. I recently got the crusher hat and mittens insulated, windstopper in suede and they're top quality. I wasn't exactly sure on sizing and it was made to order and I didn't want to mess it up, so I called them and Gary walked me through everything.

American made high quality, actually guaranteed clothing and the owner answers the phone! I think most any hunting clothing item I purchase in the future will be from them. They're reasonably priced and I like my money staying over here. Not too much of that in the hunting clothing industry
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:25 pm

I don’t own any....but probably should....Gray Wolf Woolens custom clothing in Predator camo. Pricey, but from everything I’ve heard it’s a great investment. I believe Muddy could back me on this too.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:32 pm

upwind predator wrote:Cabelas berber fleece with windsheer and the wooltimate with wind sheer are great. What i do most of the time tho is to put on a windproof vest on right underneath my outer layer or a wind proof soft shell jacket under my outer layer.

I second the wooltimate, 5 seasons with mine, I own the pullover, vest and pants, wind barrier in them is great a little heavy I tend to pack mine in my stand most sits but you will be warm

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”