Kayaks Big Woods and Big Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bay-fieldBowhunter

Kayaks Big Woods and Big Bucks

Unread postby Bay-fieldBowhunter » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:22 pm

On opening day of the Wisconsin rifle season I arrived at the landing at 4:30 am and launched my Kayak. (My Kayak is a cheap Sun Dolphin and is very tippy) I didn’t make it very far down the white river before the current pushed me into a log jam and my Kayak tipped over. I quickly grabbed my stuff and swam back to shore and took off as many wet clothes as possible and swam back out for my gun and retrieved it from the bottom of the river. I quickly drove home got a change of clothes and back up gun. I proceeded to have one of the best hunts of my life. I seen 23 deer including a very nice 10 point and 8 point who were both bumping does out of a bedding area at 200 yards. Sadly my 270s scope busted and filled with water when it fell in the river so my back up gun was a lever action 30-30 with iron sights so it was to far to shoot. Any recommendations from other hunters who use Kayaks? Something extremely stable that can handle gear.

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Kayaks Big Woods and Big Bucks

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Bay-fieldBowhunter wrote:On opening day of the Wisconsin rifle season I arrived at the landing at 4:30 am and launched my Kayak. (My Kayak is a cheap Sun Dolphin and is very tippy) I didn’t make it very far down the white river before the current pushed me into a log jam and my Kayak tipped over. I quickly grabbed my stuff and swam back to shore and took off as many wet clothes as possible and swam back out for my gun and retrieved it from the bottom of the river. I quickly drove home got a change of clothes and back up gun. I proceeded to have one of the best hunts of my life. I seen 23 deer including a very nice 10 point and 8 point who were both bumping does out of a bedding area at 200 yards. Sadly my 270s scope busted and filled with water when it fell in the river so my back up gun was a lever action 30-30 with iron sights so it was to far to shoot. Any recommendations from other hunters who use Kayaks? Something extremely stable that can handle gear.

Best advice I can give us ditch the yak and get a sports pal canoe. 14 footer is best for one man and gear. Your not going too tip or flip that thing.
mobowhunter77

Unread postby mobowhunter77 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:10 pm

I bought a cheap intex k2 kayak and seems to work well. I took it out a couple times but seems to be stable and really light.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7EXF4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JDBHE0BBWFT3Q40CKM6H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Filj59

Unread postby Filj59 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:04 pm

I’ve had a similar experience with a cheap yak on just trying to cross a slough. Tried another better yak for another hunt and wondered how the I could get a deer out in it. I bought a 12’ yak and now I have no doubts, but haven’t killed one in it YET.
Filj59

Unread postby Filj59 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:04 pm

I’ve had a similar experience with a cheap yak on just trying to cross a slough. Tried another better yak for another hunt and wondered how the I could get a deer out in it. I bought a 12’ yak and now I have no doubts, but haven’t killed one in it YET.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:58 pm

Ascend h10 kayak is what I have and love it. High weight capacity and very stable. Lots of room too. It’s a canoe/kayak hybrid.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 am

mobowhunter77 wrote:I bought a cheap intex k2 kayak and seems to work well. I took it out a couple times but seems to be stable and really light.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7EXF4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JDBHE0BBWFT3Q40CKM6H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Great inflatable!!!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:46 am

I would never tell anyone to get an inflatable - get a stick in it and Bob's yer uncle.

Anyway - the best advice is to practice with your kayak/canoe/whatever. Current is nothing to play with and it takes a while to learn how to use watercraft.

A beginner should make at least 6-10 runs preseason if kayaking/canoeing into unknown rivers.

Glad you had a great hunt. Hope you can seal the deal soon.

btw- what kind of scope fills up with water? What brand was that? Most scopes are nitrogen or some kind of gas purged and sealed.
mbarthelemy

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:12 am

blackwidow wrote:Ascend h10 kayak is what I have and love it. High weight capacity and very stable. Lots of room too. It’s a canoe/kayak hybrid.

I second this. purchased mine for hunting this year and couldn't be more happy. It is a tank to throw up on a roof rack tho.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:21 am

I have a sun dolphin Kingsport. I think they replaced it with a different model but it’s a 500lb capacity kayak. Heavier than sin but stable enough I can stand up in. The cheap 250-300lb capacity ones are sketchy. I wouldn’t say drop a pretty penny on a super expensive one but look for something wide and high capacity. Mine was only like $300 on clearance at Dunham’s a few years ago.

I’m 300lbs easy and took my stand, sticks, crossbow and 170ish pound buck down the Wisconsin river with zero hassle last year. Bet I was right around 500lbs.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:27 am

You need a bigger yak. I have a lifetime Yukon and it's amazingly stable and should fit a deer no problem. We have tried using those smaller kayaks like yours and it's not a good idea. I had a buddy try to float for ducks one time with one. He lasted about 100 feet before we had to turn around and go home because he went swimming
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:47 am

What's wrong with a good old canoe? I guess I'll never understand the love for a kayak. They're shallow, heavy and you get all wet from the paddle. Get a canoe. And if you run it solo, flip it around and sit in the front seat facing the back, and learn the "J-stroke". Super stable, way easier to portage and plenty of room to haul all your gear and that big old swamp buck out.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:15 am

Future Beach Voyager 10.4
Having used it all these years, the only difference I would have made would be getting the open Kayak versus the enclosed.
It was the cheaper 'Angler' at Dunham's five or six years ago. It's very stable, I have fished for bass in the river many times with a decent current. I'm nearly 300 lbs.

I let my son's friend use it on a recent trip, and I used my son's narrower sit-on-top yak. The friend is much larger than me, 6-4 350ish.
We decided to take our chance and a shoot a little rapid, he was the only one to stay upright. Me and my son both got dumped.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
mobowhunter77

Unread postby mobowhunter77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:15 am

Rich M wrote:I would never tell anyone to get an inflatable - get a stick in it and Bob's yer uncle.

This inflatable has 3 chambers and low air volume. Meaning that if you do get a puncture it will not sink. You can still make it to wherever you need to go and make it back even with a hole in it.

I watch a few videos on YouTube testing it out and it seems to be able to take a beating and keeps on ticking.

https://youtu.be/NGs8PgapeM4

https://youtu.be/nfQzDpBWjEw
Swamp Beast

Unread postby Swamp Beast » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 am

I have a nucanoe kayak. Very stable. I can easily stand on it and use it like a paddle board.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”