Meat processing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kmsydnor

Meat processing

Unread postby kmsydnor » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:38 am

Does anyone have a Kitchen-Aid and use the grinder attachment to process the ground meat? I have one and wondered if it would be worth getting or should I wait to buy a grinder. Budget friendly recommendations appreciated also.

Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Re: Meat processing

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:43 am

Save yourself the time and hassle, just go buy a decent meat grinder..
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:56 am

kmsydnor wrote:Does anyone have a Kitchen-Aid and use the grinder attachment to process the ground meat? I have one and wondered if it would be worth getting or should I wait to buy a grinder. Budget friendly recommendations appreciated also.

We have one . It works ok. Obviously not as good as a big grinder. We also have a 3/4 HP commercial at my dads and it works amazing. The kitchen aid one is good enough though without spending a ton of money. Doing one deer at a time isn't bad with it I wouldn't want to do multiples though.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:00 am

kmsydnor wrote:Does anyone have a Kitchen-Aid and use the grinder attachment to process the ground meat? I have one and wondered if it would be worth getting or should I wait to buy a grinder. Budget friendly recommendations appreciated also.

It works great for deer. I've tried several different grinders and this one has plenty of power.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
RadioHunter

Unread postby RadioHunter » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:39 am

burned out my parent kitchen aid after using it for a few years on a few deer. I found it to be under powered, slow and if you don't do a thorough prep of you meat for any tnedons and ligaments it is prone to clogging up.

save your self the trouble and buy a dedicated grinder you can use for the rest of your life
kmsydnor

Unread postby kmsydnor » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:49 am

Thanks for the input, I’ll only be doing one maybe two a year I and I wasn’t sure the best route to take.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:45 am

Early on I used a cheap grinder and it was nothing but frustration due to be so under powered. Save yourself some headaches and buy a good quality grinder. I bought a Cabela’s 3/4 hp about 10 years ago and it’s been bulletproof. Nothing slows it down and makes very quick work out of large amounts of trimmings
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:01 am

Dewey wrote:Early on I used a cheap grinder and it was nothing but frustration due to be so under powered. Save yourself some headaches and buy a good quality grinder. I bought a Cabela’s 3/4 hp about 10 years ago and it’s been bulletproof. Nothing slows it down and makes very quick work out of large amounts of trimmings

And it will dispose of a body lickity-split
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:07 am

muddy wrote:
Dewey wrote:Early on I used a cheap grinder and it was nothing but frustration due to be so under powered. Save yourself some headaches and buy a good quality grinder. I bought a Cabela’s 3/4 hp about 10 years ago and it’s been bulletproof. Nothing slows it down and makes very quick work out of large amounts of trimmings

And it will dispose of a body lickity-split

:shhh:
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:11 am

Buy a dedicated grinder. It is money well spent, and you'll be glad you did. I have a 1 hp Weston #12 and it plows through deer. Bought it new for less than $200 on sale, which it has already paid for itself in savings by not taking deer to a processor. Looks like it's on sale now: https://meatprocessingproducts.com/west ... ct-reviews
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:12 am

I got the kitchen aid attachment about ten years ago. I do about four deer a season with it. Got rid of my other grinders, love that kitchen aid.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:40 am

I have an old style hand crank meat grinder that I took the bolt out that holds the handle on, put a headless bolt in it's place, then used a large electric hand drill to run it. The bolt split the threaded end of the auger shaft, so I cut the handle off the crank and used the end to hold the pieces of the shaft of the auger together. It worked for me for many years until I upgraded to a commercial grade meat grinder. Those old hand cranks are almost given away these days at yard sales and auctions. I think I have 4+ in the cupboard.

A cheap low tech option maybe.
theAdmiral

Unread postby theAdmiral » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:11 am

I also use the wife’s kitchen aid. 1 to 2 deer a year for the last 5 years. It works fine for my needs.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:40 pm

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a grinder until you are ready to. Sounds like a few have tried what you inquired about and it works. Use that method until you are tired of it and that should give you time to save for a good grinder. I love doing things the hard way sometimes too.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:43 pm

We use the Kitchen Aid meat grinder on 1-2 deer a year.
I grind about 15-25 lbs of meat at a time and the Kitchen Aid hasn't felt too hot when I'm finished.
Works best when you cut the meat in long thin strips.

Its stronger than a 300 watt Cusinart meat ginder, so if you need a bigger one than get something with plenty of power.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”