Late season hill/bluff country tips.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

upwind predator
500 Club

Late season hill/bluff country tips.

Unread postby upwind predator » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:02 am

With late season very near there's 2 public pieces by me I think could be pretty decent late season. I know it's bed to food pattern but any of the more experienced guys got any tips or hints for the hills/bluffs late season. Like stick to just evenings or would mornings be better getting there early since its so wide open, tips on getting into areas to setup etc. Or would I be wasting my time. One piece is all timber with ag close to the way back corner on private n some closer to the front. Other is bout the same but some ag on the public and most bein across the road.

James
500 Club

Re: Late season hill/bluff country tips.

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:26 am

I’m an evening only guy in late season. It’s all about the entry and approach. They can see and hear you coming a long ways off in hill country. I like windy and/or snowy days. I killed a Dec 23 buck a few years back headed to a standing corn field. Quite windy that day which made approach and setup ideal.

Almost killed a 150 a few years before that on New Year’s Eve. Light snow that night which made entry great.

Good luck. It’s fun to chase them in late season but also quite challenging
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:34 am

Oh I know, I enjoy late season alot, usually get 1 or 2 down during it. Just never done it in the hills
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:24 am

The bluff country area I hunt has a good amount of standing corn and beans on both the tops and bottoms. The state works local farmers to farm public as long as they leave 20% standing or something like that. Those are the spots I will be looking for in late season.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”