Deer camps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DALEJ

Deer camps

Unread postby DALEJ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:49 pm

Who still has old school deer camps going every year and where in wis are they .I miss going to deer camp in Glidden wis but deer numbers wnt south every body got older jus kind of fizzled out be neat to hear bout deer camps still operating in wis .

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Deer camps

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:57 am

I am actually fortunate enough to experience two deer camps a year. One with my wife’s side and one with my side of the family. When it comes to firearm season, hanging out at deer camp is equally as enjoyable as going out hunting in my opinion!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:54 am

Sadly, mostly lost to time and fragmentation of properties. I remember a time when you were on your neighbors you were “visiting” and they likely joined in and everyone got their share if one was killed. Deer camps thrived back in those days where there was enough property for 10 guys to spread out and your neighbors were your friends. Tough to do now when the ole cabin is on only 20 acres and the neighbors have theirs posted and you’ve never spoken a word to them.

The only one i still know of in the family is in the UP. Not nearly as crowded up there as it is in WI. Not yet anyways. I’m thinking of moving up there more and more every year.
Stretch
500 Club

Unread postby Stretch » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:45 am

I'm still part of one in the u.p. It was started in 1948 when some of the local guys got out of the war. We still set up a portable cabin on state land in the aame spot they started at. All of the original guys are gone now of course, our current oldest member is 81 and has been coming since around 1970. I've been attending for 34 years and it has been great to be a part of. We are down to 4 guys now and I'm afraid it is fizzling out, the wolves have really knocked the crap out of the deer population here and we are lucky to see a decent buck at all. The last 2 days we've seen a spike and a 3pt between the 4 of us. Back in the day there were several camps along 2 track coming in here now i can only think of 2 besides us. A lot of good memories here, i hope we have time tomake some more.
"Let's go brandon, i agree" JOE BIDEN
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:14 am

Stretch wrote:I'm still part of one in the u.p. It was started in 1948 when some of the local guys got out of the war. We still set up a portable cabin on state land in the aame spot they started at. All of the original guys are gone now of course, our current oldest member is 81 and has been coming since around 1970. I've been attending for 34 years and it has been great to be a part of. We are down to 4 guys now and I'm afraid it is fizzling out, the wolves have really knocked the crap out of the deer population here and we are lucky to see a decent buck at all. The last 2 days we've seen a spike and a 3pt between the 4 of us. Back in the day there were several camps along 2 track coming in here now i can only think of 2 besides us. A lot of good memories here, i hope we have time tomake some more.

Good luck up there! Deer or not that whole area is fabled in my opinion. My grandfather long since passed lived in the Houghton area and he always wanted to make it illegal for people from WI to come across the MI/WI border :lol:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Ours is long gone. Adjacent properties gone no trespassing, others subdivided into 5-acre lots, etc.

A sadly lost era in some areas.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:32 am

piggybacking this i have a small group 3 to 4 weve been coming up to northern mi for a while now. all mostly starting out new pretty much...whats etiquette on chores and stuff? i used to get a kick out of hosting and showing the ropes ...but now that i spend all day in the woods and have backed up upkeep on the house im expecting a little more than just cleaning up afteryourself... i dont want to be that guy

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”