Big buck contest at your deer camp?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Big buck contest

Poll ended at Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:46 am

By weight
31%
By points
69%

Total votes: 13
Colddriver

Big buck contest at your deer camp?

Unread postby Colddriver » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:46 am

Just wondering how you guys do it ?
By points or weight?
My camp takes a vote and always seems the weight wins and I dont get it. Are most of us not after 200" not 200lbs?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Big buck contest at your deer camp?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:51 am

In my experience only meat hunting camps go by weight. If u think about it a doe could ultimately win the big buck contest if you just went by weight.

Would think score would be the way to go in any camp big buck contest that is halfway serious about the friendly competition.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:57 am

We actually green score them for our buck pool. Just for fun, but gives the most accurate competition. Plus makes you better at judging deer in the field
Colddriver

Unread postby Colddriver » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:11 am

A
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:30 am

There’s 3 of us in the quest for the trophy. There is no money, just a sweet trophy that you get to display for an entire year!

We typically go by Points, body size, score, and antler mass.

yes if it’s close, it goes into a vote, or stays with the winner.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:20 am

We use to do points + spread but now we just do weight. There Is only a couple of us that trophy hunt and the rest are meat hunters that's why we went that route. We also include does in ours, last year we had a doe beat out someone's 6pt.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:53 am

We’re just happy if anyone gets a buck lol. Been a tough last few years on scrub buck mountain
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:24 am

My camp goes by weight, and so does the local bar / restaurant where I do most of my hunting whose pool I enter every year. Where I come from sure people will brag on it if they shoot a 12 pointer (because it's rare) but most people - myself included - are much more interested in the weight of the deer. I like a nice rack as much as the next guy, but I get more excited if I can take one look at a buck and just know that I'm going to get 70 lbs of meat in the freezer.

EDIT: This last weekend a guy checked in a 226 lbs. buck (which is an absolute monster for the lower Adirondacks of NY) at the restaurant I mentioned above. I've been going there a long time, never seen people so excited. No one even asked what the "score" was. I guess that's an upstate NY thing.
VTbigwoods802!

Unread postby VTbigwoods802! » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:04 pm

Every gas station general store has a buck pool all goes by weight so camps don’t generally do it where I live everyone meets at the stores for the buck pool
VTbigwoods802!

Unread postby VTbigwoods802! » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Ognennyy wrote:My camp goes by weight, and so does the local bar / restaurant where I do most of my hunting whose pool I enter every year. Where I come from sure people will brag on it if they shoot a 12 pointer (because it's rare) but most people - myself included - are much more interested in the weight of the deer. I like a nice rack as much as the next guy, but I get more excited if I can take one look at a buck and just know that I'm going to get 70 lbs of meat in the freezer.

EDIT: This last weekend a guy checked in a 226 lbs. buck (which is an absolute monster for the lower Adirondacks of NY) at the restaurant I mentioned above. I've been going there a long time, never seen people so excited. No one even asked what the "score" was. I guess that's an upstate NY thing.

That’s a good one!!!
That’s a northeast thing
No one cares about inches up here
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:34 pm

Around here at the contest at the bar is just weight. Obviously the easiest. At the taxidermist pool he does weight plus gross score. In camp we do just gross score. We have a traveling trophy that starts with the person to shoot the first buck then transfers to whoever gets a bigger one.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:12 am

All this talk about nice bodies and racks makes me think of bill da packer fan. That’s what he looks for. Over in Rhinelander..

https://youtu.be/P1XV3dgIDsQ
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:47 am

Lol that's a funny dude. He messed up though... needed a white shirt with ketchup and beer stains on it. More believable.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:49 am

brancher147 wrote:We’re just happy if anyone gets a buck lol. Been a tough last few years on scrub buck mountain

Been a tough few years up in your alma mater too man. Three seasons ago I heard hardly any gun shots the whole season. Last year was good on opening weekend, probably cuz it was uncharacteristically in the upper teens and mid-20s in late October. This year has been dreadful; I've heard zero gun shots and seen one buck.

I hope your camp has better luck in the second half of the rut.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:40 pm

Out by me in sw wisconsin one place does just weight but all the local bars seem to have buck boards that do points + spread.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”