Cattails and Marsh hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossberg90MN

Cattails and Marsh hunting

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:22 am

So this is something that I believe I have picked up on this year and I just want to bring this up to see if I’m onto something or if I can disregard this observation.

So the spot I hunt has a lot of bog(sawgrass) and cat tails as well. From what I gather, do bucks seek out cattails over bog? I mean it makes sense, from what I noticed the cat tails provide perfect cover. A deer can move through the cat tails and not be seen, even from my stand I couldn’t see them moving, I could only hear them when they were close.

I spent sometime scouting some bog areas, but I noticed that your pretty visible when crossing those areas, so a buck would have to wait until dark to cross a saw grass bog. Versus cat tails, he could leave his bedding area and travel the cat tails and not be seen. Shoot a deer could be bedded 5 feet from you in cat tails and you’d never know it was there.

So I know there are no absolutes in hunting and nature, wildlife… but am I better off targeting and scouting and hunting areas that are cattails versus bog. Those cats just provide way more security cover.

Lockdown

Re: Cattails and Marsh hunting

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:11 am

I hunt some boggy stuff and it seems to me the deer don’t like to walk where they break through the surface crust. I don’t like it either ;)

However this particular parcel is very low pressure. High pressure deer will most likely seek refuge in the bog out of necessity.

I would try the cattail areas first and go from there.
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:15 pm

I spent the first few days of gun season hunting cattails/marsh grass/brush mixture. First time deer hunting a location like that for me. The deer sought out the pockets of cattails for bedding spots. I think it's just better protection and security for the deer.
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:30 am

Seeing same thing near me.

Cattails get most of the bedding. I do have a few bucks bedded on high points In the soggy boggy stuff though

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”