Late season hunt in Ohio

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Nepabowhunter28

Late season hunt in Ohio

Unread postby Nepabowhunter28 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Thinking I can scratch up a few days in January for a late season hunt in Ohio. Anyone on here generous enough to tell me what to expect that time of year in the se part of the state? Hoping for snow, less pressure, and potential agriculture bordering public land. My buddy was just out there last week on public and was lucky enough to get it done on a beautiful 10. He said the pressure was outrageous, not that it bothers me to have pressure I’m just hoping to catch some bucks back on a feeding patterns with their guard down. How is the deer population in the se part of the state? Any info is helpful but I don’t want any big handouts as I want to go into this hunt and earn it.

“It’s lonely at the top, but I sure like the view.” -Charlie sheen
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Late season hunt in Ohio

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:17 pm

Bow hunting pressure will be less in January than it is now but we have a muzzle loader season January 8-11 and that will get some additional hunters into the woods.

If you are targeting mature deer you will be hard pressed to find one with his guard down. Finding one with a PHD is more like it.

Deer density is moderate on public in most of the areas around here.
Guernsey, Muskingum Coshocton and Belmont counties.

It’s not uncommon to find more pressure next to the private properties than in the middle of the public parcels.
Nepabowhunter28

Unread postby Nepabowhunter28 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:38 pm

Jdw wrote:Bow hunting pressure will be less in January than it is now but we have a muzzle loader season January 8-11 and that will get some additional hunters into the woods.

If you are targeting mature deer you will be hard pressed to find one with his guard down. Finding one with a PHD is more like it.

It’s not uncommon to find more pressure next to the private properties than in the middle of the public parcels.

Thanks for the run down. Super helpful information. When do you think the best late season opportunity would be month wise??
“It’s lonely at the top, but I sure like the view.” -Charlie sheen
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:17 am

Nepabowhunter28 wrote:
Jdw wrote:Bow hunting pressure will be less in January than it is now but we have a muzzle loader season January 8-11 and that will get some additional hunters into the woods.

Thanks for the run down. Super helpful information. When do you think the best late season opportunity would be month wise??

If you have a flexible schedule I would wait for snow and an extended period of cold weather.

If you need to schedule the trip in advance later is better in general for the right weather conditions but a larger % of bucks will be shed by then.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:28 am

Last season was my first in SE Ohio.

Deer population is relative to what you're used to. There are deer. I wouldn't say there are tons. I think the new public doe regs are helping from what I'm understanding.

I went down mid-late Oct for a weekend scout..then again in mid November. Pressure was pretty high. Not impossible to find places to yourself. But took some work. I've heard this season was significantly higher and it was tougher to get away from others.

I then went down in gun season. I drove on the opener due to the weather. Tuesday was fresh snow. I followed buck tracks from dark to dark. Never saw a hunter. Never heard a close shot. Never saw boot prints. Wednesday afternoon I dropped a buck. Still never saw a hunter or heard a close shot except late evening.. a shot rang out from the road. Maybe someone unloading a muzzleloader.

I passed a truck here n there but pressure was pretty light. My buck was 400yds from the road chasing 4 does in the middle of the day...

I'd imagine late season could be good if you can get on the food.

I agree...the tactic of getting on the edge of private seems to be everyone's goto tactic. Could be a good tactic. But could lead to more pressure and deer that have been pressured more than "interior" deer.

I'm hoping gun season is good to me again. Supposed to be there this week but between the pressure, spotty activity and warm week, I opted to stay home.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”