Stumbled into perfect setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Usi05

Stumbled into perfect setup

Unread postby Usi05 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:57 pm

So I wanted to share this. I stumbled into a perfect public land setup last week. Was doing some e-scouting around backside of a marsh I had scouted and noticed this from the map. What drew me in was the lack of access. No parking near road.

So Saturday morning I’m planning on getting in a tree on transition to marsh but I walk up the side of this ridge with a SW wind into what looks like a killer funnel. It’s pitch black so I’m relying mostly on my map.

To my left and right is a bottom. Directly behind me is white oaks that deer seemed to have moved on from. Directly in front of me there is a transition from Pine to hardwoods and there’s a ton of undergrowth in the pine so I was certain does bedded there. The marsh is 100 yards down from the pine.

So I started thinking about going further but made myself get into a tree overlooking both the transition to doe bedding at 35 yards and 1/3 elevation on that leeward ridge. Figured bucks could have best of both worlds and use wind tunnel and check bedding and bottoms simultaneously.

So first morning I had 3 different bucks come by. 2 were shooters I drew back on but never got a shot. Another buck came by later but I think it was same buck from morning.

I’m excited and I bail out. As I’m walking out I see a dude coming towards me. He parked by me and walked down just like I did. I don’t want to leave but he says he’s only hunting evening and morning and shows me where he’s going so I bail.

Today I go back in morning in another SW wind. Maybe a bit more south than sw but I figured it would still work.
3 bucks came cruising by today as well. One of which I drilled.

This setup just seems like gold. Rare I get to see 6 maybe 7 bucks in two mornings on Michigan public.

Wanted to share my Dan like sketch in hopes it might help someone else.

I will likely go back if wind cooperates next weekend when weather gets nasty.

Could it be a hot doe is to blame? Or was it simply the terrain? I’ll never know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Stumbled into perfect setup

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:02 pm

Sounds like a killer setup 8-)
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:15 pm

You forgot to color it :lol:
Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:43 am

Let's see the buck picture!
nsmith253

Unread postby nsmith253 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:39 am

Usi05 wrote:To my left and right is a bottom.

Usi, what kind of vegetation are you talking about in the "Bottom" parts of the map? I can picture the rest I'm just curious--is it like creek/river bottom type grasses? Or thicker than that?
Nate
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:55 am

nsmith253 wrote:
Usi05 wrote:To my left and right is a bottom.

Usi, what kind of vegetation are you talking about in the "Bottom" parts of the map? I can picture the rest I'm just curious--is it like creek/river bottom type grasses? Or thicker than that?

It’s just valley bottoms. Lots of dead timber and small trees. Lots of underbrush.

The deer use it but almost exclusively at night. This isn’t typical hill country you’d think of but I used the hill country concepts and you can absolutely see the trails on 2/3 elevation line around the bowls
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:55 am

Photo of the little guy I dumped. Couldn’t close on the two bigger guys that came through. Held full draw forever on one waiting for him to move but he never did.

Area definitely is a sweet draw for cruisers heading to and from marsh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:47 pm

Good job!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:46 am

Way to go.
E-scouting and scouting in general is so rewarding when you spot the unique, high percentage, sweet location.
The light bulb moment when you visualize how it gives so much advantage to the deer and why they are using it. Good stuff.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:37 am

This place has taught me a ton. Think I identified another feature like this that I am waiting for a good wind to go and sit.

Lots of buck encounters last few weeks but now I’m after one of the big guys I was drawn on but couldn’t close.

I also have a picture of a big 8 that I’ve been trying to locate all season but can’t find him.

Finally got some deer moving weather in Michigan another tag here this weekend.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:13 pm

Congratulations man! Sounds like an awesome setup
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:47 am

Congrats and great shot!
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:56 pm

That was the 3rd smallest buck that cruised through the location. I had two slammers I couldn’t close on as one wouldn’t stop and other was masterful in avoiding lanes.

You’d think a guy would be frustrated but I’m thrilled. Think I have a great rut funnel each year that shouldn’t vary much.
That funnel isn’t near at ag so it shouldn’t be nearly as seasonal as some of the other ones I have closer to ag.

Going to get back into it in a few days once the opening day gun hunters go back to work. Don’t want to lead anyone to it lol
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:21 am

nice find and congrats on some mi success. im hunting hill country in mi nelp ...ive been here a year and i find shame in the fact i havnt hunted the leeward side of a ridge system. seems like it really attracts hunters because its usually close to a trail or and is usually oak clusters. i have however found a windward rut tunnel i think. can u be more specific on stand placement?
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:46 am

Usi05 wrote:That was the 3rd smallest buck that cruised through the location. I had two slammers I couldn’t close on as one wouldn’t stop and other was masterful in avoiding lanes.

You’d think a guy would be frustrated but I’m thrilled. Think I have a great rut funnel each year that shouldn’t vary much.
That funnel isn’t near at ag so it shouldn’t be nearly as seasonal as some of the other ones I have closer to ag.

Going to get back into it in a few days once the opening day gun hunters go back to work. Don’t want to lead anyone to it lol

Congrats on the buck! Really nice work finding this spot when deer are choosing to use it. Would you change anything for the next time you bow hunt this spot? Like stand placement or anything like that? How would you set up on this differently, if at all, for the firearm season?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”