Stumbled into perfect setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Usi05

Re: Stumbled into perfect setup

Unread postby Usi05 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:22 am

NorthStar wrote:
Usi05 wrote:That was the 3rd smallest buck that cruised through the location. I had two slammers I couldn’t close on as one wouldn’t stop and other was masterful in avoiding lanes.

You’d think a guy would be frustrated but I’m thrilled. Think I have a great rut funnel each year that shouldn’t vary much.
That funnel isn’t near at ag so it shouldn’t be nearly as seasonal as some of the other ones I have closer to ag.

Going to get back into it in a few days once the opening day gun hunters go back to work. Don’t want to lead anyone to it lol

Congrats on the buck! Really nice work finding this spot when deer are choosing to use it. Would you change anything for the next time you bow hunt this spot? Like stand placement or anything like that? How would you set up on this differently, if at all, for the firearm season?

I had a perfect set up with cover and what I believe to be the wind thermal tunnel where all the bucks cruised. With all the bucks that went buy not one winded me. Milkweed seemed to flow right to where I imagine tunnel was and kick way up.

With that said, everyone of the big bucks used this one trail differently than the smaller bucks. Next year I will likely move up twenty yards. It’s a bit more of a pinch point and should present more shots. Full draw several times on bigger deer but they just seem to know how to never be vulnerable in that area. I think if I move up twenty yards they are dead to rights.

Happy with my access.

For firearm season I would actually move back and to crest of a ridge that would be totally downside of entire funnel but still present an 80-100 yard shot while keeping the deer from having any idea im there.

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Stumbled into perfect setup

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:26 am

Usi05 wrote:
NorthStar wrote:
Usi05 wrote:That was the 3rd smallest buck that cruised through the location. I had two slammers I couldn’t close on as one wouldn’t stop and other was masterful in avoiding lanes.

You’d think a guy would be frustrated but I’m thrilled. Think I have a great rut funnel each year that shouldn’t vary much.
That funnel isn’t near at ag so it shouldn’t be nearly as seasonal as some of the other ones I have closer to ag.

Going to get back into it in a few days once the opening day gun hunters go back to work. Don’t want to lead anyone to it lol

Right on! Well done, sir!

Congrats on the buck! Really nice work finding this spot when deer are choosing to use it. Would you change anything for the next time you bow hunt this spot? Like stand placement or anything like that? How would you set up on this differently, if at all, for the firearm season?

I had a perfect set up with cover and what I believe to be the wind thermal tunnel where all the bucks cruised. With all the bucks that went buy not one winded me. Milkweed seemed to flow right to where I imagine tunnel was and kick way up.

With that said, everyone of the big bucks used this one trail differently than the smaller bucks. Next year I will likely move up twenty yards. It’s a bit more of a pinch point and should present more shots. Full draw several times on bigger deer but they just seem to know how to never be vulnerable in that area. I think if I move up twenty yards they are dead to rights.

Happy with my access.

For firearm season I would actually move back and to crest of a ridge that would be totally downside of entire funnel but still present an 80-100 yard shot while keeping the deer from having any idea im there.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”